Done with doubles?

caserri

Heck yea, I would love to only deal with a few products.

I am using EVERY bulk candy right now. It gets rough at sams sometimes. If I could get away with a few products, I would be happy. I have got rid of skittles, with little complaints. I used M&I or Runts in there place. I am now doing away with regular M&M, and replacing them with Peanut M&M. I will next work on Peanuts, moving to cashews (sell better). Eventually, I hope to get to a few selections.     

Well I'm new to this, but everyone seems to be on board with just singles or doubles.  Like I said in a previous post, I'm considering going full time with numerous machines and my plan was to make them all triples (the standard all in one triple, not globes).  My thought process was if I'm securing a location, then I want all the product I can squeeze into that 1sqft of space.  As far as selection and spoilage is concerned, I went with http://www.gumball-machine.com/ when I purchased my machines.  I like their concept... It comes standard with the middle container set for 1" vending of gumballs, or toys.  My theory is if you have product going out of date, then 1) find a new location or 2) Only use your 2 best sellers and some type of toy in the middle slot.

Is there something I'm missing other than the fact that I have to carry more product line?  Do these machines in general not produce $$$ like the singles or doubles? Or is this just another case of personal preference?

RJ

RJ,

There are many reasons why the triples are not desirable machines for many operators. The number one reason why I am opposed to them is because there is no versatility in them. A triple will only work in select locations. What happens when you secure a location and find that there is only room for a single? Or if the owner of the location does not like the appearance of the triple?

I have long advocated the purchase and use of single machines. There are so few locations that will support a triple. When I say that few locations will support a triple head, I am not referring to the size of the machine. I am referring to the sales volume that the location will bring to the machine. If I put a double head on location and I have a hard time keeping it stocked for 30 days then that location is a prime candidate for an upgrade. My upgrades consist of a 3 or 4 way rack with a couple 16's down low and maybe a couple 50 cent capsules up top, or even a four slot sticker machine. It just depends on the location.

If on the other hand I place a double and it goes more than a month or two without needing a refill I will downgrade to a single and it usually does just fine. Triples, in my opinion, are simply overkill that cannot be upgraded or downgraded. If you have a triple that does well in one slot, you need a single in there because your wasting money on extra product that doesn't sell, then you run into spoilage issues. If you have a triple that does well in two slots, well then you should really have a double in there. If you do well in all three slots, which is rare, then your location has great potential for a 3 or 4 way setup like I described above. The rack will bring you more money than the triple.

Another reason I dislike triples, It can only be a triple! I can break down any of my racks or doubles to turn them into singles. I can turn a couple singles into doubles or racks. You have much more flexibility when you work with singles.

Another reason I dislike triples, Very limited product visibility. Your selling the product, not the machine. Show the product!

Another reason I dislike triples, All metal case retains too much heat. Its an oven in there.

Another reason I dislike triples, They just ooze novice. As stated elsewhere, Triples are just a learning tool for new operators. You can find a ton for short money on eBay when operators realize the flaws of these machines and want to upgrade to the real thing and run with the big dogs. <----I type lightheartedly, no disrespect intended.

If you want a fleet of machines that are versatile enough to adapt to any location give singles and doubles a try. Granted, much of what I just said is contradictory to this thread. Even though I am moving towards an all single fleet, I still think that doubles are a much better option than triples.

Steve

I have found that triples make less. The "big block" is not as inviting as a nice, 2 single head double machine. People have told me when I switched from double, to a triple (a long time ago, I was stupid then) the owner said, "What happened to my cute machine, get this ugly thing out".

I ONLY use thoes ugly things in any type of Break room. There appearance does not matter there, people are just hungry and want some food. I do not have to worry about product visibility there. I set it beside the water fountain, and put: HT, P-M&M, and Cashews. In every break room this is my "for everyone" mix (except places where only men work, different mix there). As you are in this longer, you learn. I started with triples myself, and I no longer buy them (except when I get a break room).

Kyle  

• Like 1

All:

While I agree with just about everything Steve & Kyle have said, I feel I should tell you why we have standardized on triples, Seaga TV3000's to be exact.

Firstly, you need a tier 1 or top shelf location to support a triple. If the machine is heading into a public location (about 40% of our machines, maybe even less). By this I mean a steady stream of customers (40-100) per day. By focusing on these types of locations (supermarkets, bowling alleys, restaurants) you will maximize your per machine gross, and increase your service time/intervals.

60% of our machines are non-public. Small companies with a breakroom or office area with maybe 10-30 employees. We find our snack machines don't really genrate the volume, but a triple head set up for all candy provides steady, stable reutrns, far above the national average.

The arguments for service and support for singles also works for our triples. We have one type of machine to service, simplicity of parts to stock, and we have 3 standard formats that we use for products, whch keeps things simple for us.

Hmmm interesting take, and thank you for all the input, but as I suspected it's looking like another case of personal preference.  Honestly I'm not one to copy others, so if all "the big dogs" are using singles, and doubles... then sign me up for the triples! I personally like the look! :D

No disrespect to anyone, but it looks like they both have their pros' and con's and now that I find myself taking more notice to machines, you're right the majority are singles, and racks.  So I'll seperate myself by doing the opposite.  It's my gut instinct to go with the triples at first anyway, so we'll see what happens.  Call me a rebel! :cool:

RJ

Hey RJ, I just got started in my route about 6 weeks ago. My first ten bulk machines were triples and are doing great. They are all located in break room type locations and I think a triple works well there. It gives people options.

With that being said, my next 10 machines will be doubles. I want to give both a try and see for myself which I like more. I think I will go more for public places with the doubles and see how it goes.

I must say though, I do like the backdoor on the triples. I can open the back door and collect all the quarters from all the slots in 1 minute. I open the lid and top off the 3 sections and that takes only 1-2 minutes. They are easy to service.

RJ,

Its absolutely a case of personal preference. Please don't get me wrong, I may have some strong feelings about certain types of equipment but in the end it all comes down to what works for each operator. I've met and spoken with operators who say they pull in $90 from a triple in a month and a half.  

In my case, and it may just be my local area, I do much better with singles. In this area of the country everything is so space sensitive. When I have to compete for space with 3 other vendors I like to just put 1 head of my best seller and let it ride!

Please keep us posted on your progress with the triples!

Steve

I agree with Steve. Everyone has there own preference. I love how easy thay are to service. I would never use a triple in public, but if you do that is fine. If it floats your boat, it will float mine! My only thing is the brand you bought.  Try there others next time.

http://www.xyzvending.com/BULK%20PRO.htm - XYZ Vending. 100% Made in USA. Great service, and machine. Good price. I use these triples. In normal break rooms. I love these. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by vendors everywhere!!!

http://www.nwcorp.com/products/machines/tripleplay/ - Best Triple available. Good quality, and easy service. This come in play when you get thoes very high traffic, once in a life, break rooms. I have landed one place where a XYZ coin mechs just broke under pressure. This is a GIANT factory, and I was very surprised by the mechs breaking.

Limit yourself to these few machine MAN. If you do not get good quality equipment, you will be replacing the cheap stuff later.

Kyle Guth

Another reason I dislike triples, Very limited product visibility. Your selling the product, not the machine. Show the product!

Another reason I dislike triples, All metal case retains too much heat. Its an oven in there.

Not so with the 1800's (HA HA:D) I just had to throw that into the mix. Only because I think the 1800's are great machines.......................When purchased new from someone selling them for 1/3 the price of course.

.........To anyone reading this considering 1800 machines....... They are GREAT machines but don't pay full price for them!! There are plenty of them out there (BRAND NEW STILL SITTING IN UNOPENED BOXES ...................usually in lots of 10 or 20 or more.:D  The biz-op is OK for some people but that is usually the exception to the rule. If you are just going to buy machines and no business pkg. from 1800 consider just buying them from a private party. Not just on Ebay there are other places to get machines too. I will put a disclaimer on that advice though. If you buy from 1800 they do offer good warranties. But man are they over priced at least in my opinion.

OK enough ranting about 1800's.....

I posted on kickstart about this topic and I agree with most of the sentiment here. Although I am just starting out again I did have a small route several years ago and I came to the same conclusion. But I don't totally rule out doubles or triples. I think they definitely have their place.

Here is my thinking...........(copy and paste from my post at kickstart)

I only have the one machine that we set up at events on my wife's table. (This is  going very well! I recommend that everyone give it a shot if you can work with someone to share a table.) I am getting sold on this idea as well. Although I love the 1800 machines. (Triple head) I am leaning heavily towards the 1 head mostly gumball idea.

My business plan or at least here in the formulating stages of the plan is to get a bunch of locations, put the 1800's in the best locations and put singles in the rest of the locations. It's a simple plan, so far that's what I'm coming up with. I already bought some pipe stands off ebay and when I can find a good deal on some Millenia machines I'll get those to start building my fleet. We still have some vending money left for our business so I am trying to time the purchases with finally getting locations. I think we can afford 3 to 5 single head machines. I will roll out this plan and see how it goes. I am so itching to get out and locate. I have had asked at some of the places I've worked lately and tried this weekend and I also have a few places in mind. It's tough with 4 young kids and already working 50 + hrs. a week.OK I'm getting sidetracked......

I remember when I had my small route several years ago I came to the conclusion that triples and doubles are for Hot locations and everywhere else gets singles. Funny thing was I didn't have any singles at the time and by the time I figured out to take that approach I was getting into my current career field and got out of vending a few months later.

It is very strange the way that the #'s can change from singles to doubles, triples.

I really noticed when I located my first triple and was making only a few extra vends a month. At first I thought it was just product but even with differen't product and later a differen't location I still saw the same thing.

I will say I think that double and triple heads definitely have their place but I think they will do best at some locations and singles will do fine for the majority of the route.

That's my thinking.

David

nick papageorgio

do yourself a favor and do something similar to what chad is saying. after you get those 10 triples set, try a few singles or doubles before you go off the deep end and buy 100 triples (not saying you would but some do)

i know that i personally have a complete opposite opinion of what i like from when i first started.

clark griswald

Kyle, I was told gumball machine warehouse and XYZ bought from the same manufacturer and that these were pretty much the same machine.  Those are the ones I had planned on going with initially.  I just chose Gumball because they are more local, and if I decide to buy in bulk, I can get away with not paying the shipping cost or at least get a reduced price since their shipping cost is included in the price.

As for the clown, for now it stays.  "Afraid of clowns?" is your name really Kramer from Seinfeld?  Is it safe to say that McDonalds doesn’t get any of your business? :D  FYI, I have a snack distributorship I started recently, and I'm thinking about creating a logo, so if I get one made, I'll change my Avatar. 

This is probably another thread that could be created, but here is my problem with buying used machines, or all different variations.  I hate the thought of having 300 different sets of keys.  I like the fact of saving money on my machines don’t get me wrong, but this would absolutely drive me insane (I'm anal about things like this)!  In fact I was able to find a cheaper triple than the 1800's, the Venstar, etc., better quality, nicer looking, but the one thing they have going for them is the fact that you can literally have 2 keys to operate your entire vending route no matter how big it is.  Not that I would ever buy those brands, but it's definitely a HUGE plus and selling point for me.

RJ

rj, you can have one key operate every machine on your route no matter what type of machines you buy. dont let that be the determining factor in buying machines.

it would be a good idea to change those cheap locks out and get some good locks all keyed the same on any machine you buy.

because trust me, all of those machines that you are buying 10 or 20 at a time keyed alike.....the guy down the street that is buying 20 machines from the same manufacturer is getting the same key code as you.

dont know if any of this makes since, just dont buy machines based on the locks. you can put new locks in any machine

Hello,

Just wanted to share my experience. 

I bought a route this past April which included some 4 selection candy carousels.  I have consistently found that only 1 or 2 product selections at these locations go down in any profitable amounts.  The other selections continue to sit regardless of what product I try.  These machines make no more than my 1 or 2 head machines.  I am only buying singles or doubles from now on and plan to replace the 4 selection machines that are on my route. 

Ginger Vend

I did actually pusherman and unfortunately I had some sour luck with them! They claimed the gumball manufacturer messed up their recipe thus producing a bad batch, tough for me to believe. Then when they finally did send out my 5 boxes they were ordered it looked as if someone had gone through them before. So I would give you the number again, but I had so much trouble with them that I would hate to put you through the same thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!  I learned so much from this thread.  I have not bought anything yet.  Just spending time soaking in the info until December or January when I jump in with both feet.  I thought triples were the way to go.  My thinking sure has changed after reading all this.  That's great!  I will save some money and not get crazed with different products everywhere.  I can not wait to begin setting up my route!