Family biz strikes back with technology

1. What is pre-kitting?

2. Dumb dumb question: What is DEX?

3. What size employee pool should have the self checkout system? 200 or more?

1. from what i understand pre-kitting is separating your inventory into bins by location. so each bin contains only the product that is needed for that location so the route driver doesn't have to make multiple trips back to the truck after taking an order. i think this is mainly done on routes which use a system that broadcasts

back to the warehouse what the current inventory levels are, so only whats needed is put into the kits

this is pretty much how i do my route because it is small enough that i can pack bins with just the items needed in the snack machine, although i dont have a "smart" system, if my par level is 6 bags of doritos, i put 6 bags into the bin..etc..

2. dex is an interface (protocol) which allows inventory and sales data to be reported by the vending machines...the vending machine can be plugged into handheld readers

or a device that broadcasts it over wifi, cell service,etc.. back to the warehouse

1. What is pre-kitting?

2. Dumb dumb question: What is DEX?

3. What size employee pool should have the self checkout system? 200 or more?

To put in plain language "pre-kitting" is the use of remote monitoring technology to preload your truck with exactly what you need to fill each machine. You basically do an inventory remotely and load what you need into a bin so that when you get to the location you grab your bin and go in and fill the machine(s).

DEX is the universal software "language" used by different types of hardware to exchange data.

I would guess that the employee pool would need to in the 200 range to get the appropriate balance between investment and return on investment.

To put in plain language "pre-kitting" is the use of remote monitoring technology to preload your truck with exactly what you need to fill each machine. You basically do an inventory remotely and load what you need into a bin so that when you get to the location you grab your bin and go in and fill the machine(s).

DEX is the universal software "language" used by different types of hardware to exchange data.

Remote monitoring (live monitoring) is not required for prekitting. Using a DEX download or even hand entered fill/inventory sheets will allow the current software on the market to calculate your needs for prekitting.

In the old days, when we used rocks instead of coin, vendors still prekitted without the use computers. Now technology has made this much easier and more viable.

Imagine carrying around 3 bricks to get a soda, now we just use a piece of paper. B)

Archived