I am rethinking vending.....

davidsurvz

I may try to expand my route again. It was just so much work, time and investment before it wasn't worth the effort. I have to really see some success quickly or else I am just going to let this thing fizzle out.

I was working on a few small businesses on the side and there was definitely some success but I am wanting to have something more consistent.

Any encouraging words / advice?

I want to make this really work if I can.

David keep at it takes some time to finid the groove

Thanks, It was really good for a while but then it just crashed. My biggest set back was losing my 3 best locations, all within a few weeks of each other. Then I had a machine walk when one of my locations changed ownership a couple of weeks later. I also started to have several problems with locators around that same time, busy with my regular job, family, trying to work on some other side businesses also, etc., etc...........

I just need this to be a little less headache. I have other things that I am working on so I need this to be a little less time consuming and more cost effective as far as adding machines, locations. Otherwise it is too much to deal with along with the other things I am pursuing......

I know the return can be good but I am needing to see success in growth pretty soon. I am almost just ready to give the entire thing to my wife and kids and let them have it as a hobby and spending money. There isn't that much left to the route these days.

Thanks, It was really good for a while but then it just crashed. My biggest set back was losing my 3 best locations, all within a few weeks of each other. Then I had a machine walk when one of my locations changed ownership a couple of weeks later. I also started to have several problems with locators around that same time, busy with my regular job, family, trying to work on some other side businesses also, etc., etc...........

I just need this to be a little less headache. I have other things that I am working on so I need this to be a little less time consuming and more cost effective as far as adding machines, locations. Otherwise it is too much to deal with along with the other things I am pursuing......

I know the return can be good but I am needing to see success in growth pretty soon. I am almost just ready to give the entire thing to my wife and kids and let them have it as a hobby and spending money. There isn't that much left to the route these days.

Sounds like you are at a crossroads. Deciding to continue with a business or not is a very personal decision after a lot of thought. I would not know how to properly advise you.

I will say this though, the most successful people I know buckled down and focused on doing one thing and one thing only and then doing it better than everyone else.

Sounds like you are at a crossroads. Deciding to continue with a business or not is a very personal decision after a lot of thought. I would not know how to properly advise you.

I will say this though, the most successful people I know buckled down and focused on doing one thing and one thing only and then doing it better than everyone else.

If you've been in this business for any length of time, you are bound to have those experiences. Just last year I had lost several of my best locations. One of them closed up shop and took all my equipment with them. Paid some locators lots of money and got crap for locations, etc. Through it all, I felt like I just couldn't stop doing it. Kinda got addicted. I don't know what I would do without it now. I will forever be scoping out new locations when I drive down streets I've never been on before.

No one can solve this dilemma for you beyond this simple advice:

Is your heart in it?

Either your heart is in it or it's not...it's that simple.

In any business venture, if your heart is not in it, your chances of success go from small to none.

No one can solve this dilemma for you beyond this simple advice:

Is your heart in it?

Either your heart is in it or it's not...it's that simple.

In any business venture, if your heart is not in it, your chances of success go from small to none.

This is very true.

For the most part, Yes, I am sincerely wanting to continue this but I am not sure if the time spent is worth so little return. I have been at this for 3 years and I have enjoyed it. I have seen some success that was very encouraging and right when I decided to stop "growing" the route and finally start pulling out revenue from the route instead of reinvesting it all the route crashed. Let me just go ahead and say it now... "that really sucked!" I was pushing through that but it was just so much work and I wasn't seeing any return really out of the route that was about a year ago and I have just been letting things fizzle out since then.

The route still has a pulse but it needs surgery. I think I would need to make some changes in developing the route but again I don't know if I want to put the time, investment, effort, energy and resources into this. I am willing to try to get it going again but if I don't see some real success quickly I don't think I will do much past that. That is my dilemma.

I have "seen the light" as far as toys and racks are concerned. I would really like to develop the rack and toy side of the business. I am also thinking I could just try to buy existing / established locations. I really am extremely busy these days. It is more a matter of how soon could I reach a certain level of net income off the route. For example If I could net $700- $800 / mo. consistently with 6 months of time, effort, work, investment, etc. added to my basic route then it is worth it. If another 3 years of effort will put me back where I am now it is not worth it. I can invest my efforts in other things. On the other hand it is not just about how much I can make. I really enjoy this business. I started a small successful route years ago which I enjoyed working on. That is why I got back into this. I would also eventually like to turn over a successful route to my kids to run as their own business. I would also like help other people out with building successful routes as well. We now have some friends who after watching us for a couple of years started to build a vending route.

I guess I just need to rethink developing the route. I am really thinking toys / racks are the way to go (maybe I'm wrong.)I am still sorting this out......

Thanks for the input....... I am open to critique / advice....

Our area has a lot of competition I agree with mission. I lost several accounts since the start of 2011. Businesses come and go daily it is just part of vending. I decided to keep pressing on and have gained ground Then I gave some locations away and have gained ground again. Racks are harder to get placed but the reward is worth the extra effort.

Our area has a lot of competition I agree with mission. I lost several accounts since the start of 2011. Businesses come and go daily it is just part of vending. I decided to keep pressing on and have gained ground Then I gave some locations away and have gained ground again. Racks are harder to get placed but the reward is worth the extra effort.

Hey David,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. This is a hard time for many people, and you need to know that you are not alone. I was feeling pretty depressed about struggling to expand also, but when I looked at it I just wasn't putting the effort into finding new locations. It absolutely sucks when you get the boot--especially if it is because some location owner has decided you were making too much--even after giving him a large slice and wants to copy your machines. As good as that location was, I don't think I'd ever want to do business with those people again. However, that is not typical. Most of my locations I love working with the people. Generally speaking, if the people suck, they kick me out before I get sick of them. Since I haven't expanded much, my kick out rate is also very low. I'm no longer dealing with wishy-washy people who can't make a decision and have to flip flop leaving us with the bill. So I was down also, but as the summer heated up I started feeling more motivated. I started selling crap so my place would look cleaner, and sure enough I'm happier with each passing day. It sounds like you really need to take inventory of your time though. My current situation is running a vending business and doing all the house work so my wife can do over time at her nursing job. Figure out the return you expect on your route vs your day job and see if it is worth it. Keep in mind some people value money differently. Having excess money to invest is important to us, because we came from nothing and are determined not to be there.

The best advice I can give you is to make lists, be organized, and work in bite size chunks.

Yeah it can be interesting. All locators should be ... You finish it. I hate the sales part except when they say yes of course. My biggest burn is locations that you know are killer but the owner says no. That and folks that say yes and are real gung ho then just lose interest. Or hang you on during construction then some low life locator that got you the place because they owed you slides somebody else in under you. And it was a multi location. Thanks for listening and you guys are an encouragement. Yeah we have down moments but there is nothing like building your own business. BTW I do massage chairs and I do not know how they stock up but they fit for me cause I am disabled and they do not require any stocking so they are not much work. But pricey and most folks want new chairs. But it is early morning and I am running on.

I understand how you're feeling David. When I was not taking vending seriously, I made great money. However, once I thought that I should take it seriously, it seemed to tank. I'm having some difficulties with locators, and have realized I'm going to have to make the time to locate myself. One of my gravy locations started talking to me about how their daughter thought about getting into vending (not great, since its a commission stop and they know how much I make) I had to explain how difficult it was, and that not all locations are money makers. I just had another stop that actually gave me their name and number if I'm selling machines (really?), so I won't be surprised if I lose those locations. I think everybody is looking into alternative ways to make money and think vending is the answer. I'm over candy and triples, gonna sell them all off and strictly do racks and toys. Slowly but surely I'll keep expanding, and I think I'll see some reward. I hope you continue long enough to see some success to keep you motivated.

I am still wrestling with this.... I think Racks and Full line are the way to really make serious money in the business. I am only needing to make enough for investment capital and to cover a second property when we decide to make that move. I only need to net $900 to $1100 per month after taxes, expenses, product, etc. That really isn't that much for racks and full line. I am just not sure if I want to invest in that or keep plugging along with other things. I am also thinking my way through this along with you guys.

I have to say that Vendiscuss is the best place on the internet to really achieve some vending goals. I have had a great time here over the last 3 years with everyone. I have learned a ton and made some good friends and acquaintances along the way. I am still trying to decide what risk and effort I am willing to put into this.....

Thanks again for the input. I still have a lot to think about.

David

David

It is really simple. If your heart is in it you will overcome and succeed. If not, you will not succeed in vending. I have been in vending now for 1 and 1/2 years. I think it is fun even through my failures. I am not happy when I am standing outside and my machine is locked in a location, but when this happens I get just that more aggressive.

If you need to see a fast profit then bulk candy will not do it for you. That is the reason I am in bulk candy is because I do not need to see a fast high net income. I have time. This Saturday I will add another combo drink/snack machine to my route only because someone else has requested one. I tried to dodge her but she keeps asking so I found her used machine.

If you want your income to be higher faster...yes you are going to need to subsidize with full line and racks.

Personally, I like to place singles in places with very little extra space. They only do from $10 to $30 per month but they are high margin candies (gumballs/Runts) Small machines rarely get kicked out and they don't get the location owner thinking about how he/she could persue vending.

Eventually, someone else will request a drink/snack machine. Then and only then will I add a drink/snack machine. I refuse to just do a snack machine alone.

Lastly, if your heart is really into bulk vending, you will ditch some of the side jobs and put more time into vending. The reality is very simple, you will only succeed in vending if you REALLY want to.

I got back into this business for several reasons. I do have to sincerely say that without this forum I would not have been anywhere near as successful as I was this time around. I think I am going to keep the basic route I have left and give away or sell off some of the parts I have floating around. I am thinking that I will just keep my eyes open for some deals on existing locations / routes. If I can find a good deal on full line or good rack / bulk locations then I might try to grow that way. That will keep it simple enough for me to stay in the business and still be able to focus on my other ventures. Eventually I would like to turn over the vending route to my kids so they can have it for the business experience and revenue. We'll see............

Once again, I appreciate all the responses. My heart really is in this but only partially so I will partially focus on the business and continue with my other plans. Bulk vending was the first side business I ever started years ago. I think that is why I don't really want to just walk away from this. I thought it was a great business then and I still do today........There isn't much to my route now but when things were really taking off it was very exciting. I just chose not to continue with the growth of the business and I chose not to push through the last set of obstacles. Anyone can be successful in this business. Especially with the help of this forum!!

For you folks just starting out, keep with it!! To whatever end you hope to achieve keep trying and you will get there. It is well worth the rewards of running your own business and seeing the success of it as time goes on.

This forum is a great resource. Keep your mind open to new opportunities, they are always out there. You can find opportunities anywhere. My previous success with this business is what spurred me onto the things I am currently working on now. I have always and will always be entrepreneurial in my thinking. You can always put what resources you have available to work for you.

Thanks again.

David

Archived