Looking for advice on how to get a key for Vendstar 3000

Crimson Tide

On one of my locations, there is an old Vendstar 3000 next to my gumball machine. The Vendstar, I learned tonight, has been abandoned "for years." The restaurant owner will almost certainly give me the machine, just to get it off of his property. But, they have no key. There is also no telephone number, name, or owner address on the machine. (It seems to still have money in it.) I only want the machine if I can get into it and use it.

Does anyone know how I could obtain a key for this type of machine?

Thanks,

Crimson Tide

On one of my locations, there is an old Vendstar 3000 next to my gumball machine. The Vendstar, I learned tonight, has been abandoned "for years." The restaurant owner will almost certainly give me the machine, just to get it off of his property. But, they have no key. There is also no telephone number, name, or owner address on the machine. (It seems to still have money in it.) I only want the machine if I can get into it and use it.

Does anyone know how I could obtain a key for this type of machine?

Thanks,

Crimson Tide

because the machine is plastic you can take a flat blade screwdriver and twist the lock open, it can be done without damaging the machine, then go to your local locksmith or lowes and replace the locks. but, I gotta tell you the locks will be worth more than the machine. shocked.gif sorry I couldnt resist!cheesy.gif

The machine probably uses 2 different type keys - a standard type key for the top locks and a tubular key for the rear door. You may end up needing to drill out the tubular lock. You will need to remove the rear door to get to the $$. You can supposedly get new locks and keys at the old vendstar.com site but I have no experience with that. As will.vend said, the locks are probably the most valuable part of the machine! But it still will take your quarters....

• 1 month later...

An epilogue to my Vendstar 3000 story. I went today to the location where the machine had been abandoned. The owner let me take the machine. By a combination of drilling and prying with a flat head screw driver, I managed to pop the coin container lock. The machine contained $18.00. The machine will end up in the landfill, tomorrow.

An epilogue to my Vendstar 3000 story. I went today to the location where the machine had been abandoned. The owner let me take the machine. By a combination of drilling and prying with a flat head screw driver, I managed to pop the coin container lock. The machine contained $18.00. The machine will end up in the landfill, tomorrow.

if you were just gonna throw it out could have just smahesd it with a sledge or

something. i talked to a locator once who does that he often comes across abandoned stuff or he will drive over it with the rental car.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason why you didn't sell the parts or just replace the locks and reuse/sell the machine?

Any reason why you didn't sell the parts or just replace the locks and reuse/sell the machine?

Consistent with a couple of the posts in this thread, the cost of replacing the locks would have been greater than the value of the machine. The Vendstar 3000 is an all-plastic piece of dung. The parts weren't worth the value of my time to sell them.

Archived