LOST KEYS! can a locksmith help me?

heemtj

I recently discovered I lost the keys to my northwestern rack on location. I luckily do have an extra head at home of the same machines that are on location. The locks are the same on both machines and are keyed alike. I was wondering if I brought this head to a locksmith if he would be able to make a key using just the lock cylinder. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this possible? and what price should I look to pay for this? (I think my local locksmith has been known to rip people off). I appreciate any response. I want to get this rekeyed as soon as possible before product runs out at my location and they think I am neglecting the machine. Also, the machine I have at home is locked therefore a locksmith cannot take the head off. Thanks!

If you've got additional heads at home that are keyed the same, doesn't that imply you've got additional keys?

And if not, what happened to the other keys?

If you somehow lost your main key, and all your spares... and you only have those two heads, I'd drill out both the locks and place an order with NW for replacements. They're only like $5 each. A lot cheaper than a locksmith.

And I don't think a locksmith can make a key from a lock alone.

If you bought those machines new from NW, you could contact them for replacement locks/key sets.

Oak keeps your lock/key # on file for subsequent orders and I understood that NW did the same.

Do you know the key number. Or did you buy from sams most of them have same number.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

You see what happened was I had both keys on the same key ring so when I lost it I lost both keys with no spare. I bought the machine refurbed from a dealer and I have contacted him about possibly having an extra key to the machines he sold me but he is not sure. I have also read that a decent locksmith should be able to create a key using just a lock but who knows. I just do not want to have to drill out the locks and risk damaging anything.

You see what happened was I had both keys on the same key ring so when I lost it I lost both keys with no spare. I bought the machine refurbed from a dealer and I have contacted him about possibly having an extra key to the machines he sold me but he is not sure. I have also read that a decent locksmith should be able to create a key using just a lock but who knows. I just do not want to have to drill out the locks and risk damaging anything.

Hopefully you won't have to drill out the lock.

But, if you do -- don't worry too much about doing it.

I've done it a few times and it really is no big deal.

Just remember: TAKE YOUR TIME and DRILL SLOWLY.

Do a search.

Someone posted a great set of directions for drilling out locks on this forum some time back.

Archived