Beginner's Luck?

Crimson Tide

This is a story about good luck, KickStart, and some hustle on my part.

For placement of my first bulk candy vending machine, which I purchased back in April of this year, I used KickStart. Within about a week of taking my order, they found me a location, a restaurant. I placed the machine. Three weeks later, I had about 5 quarters in the machine. Bummer. So, I pulled the machine and paid KickStart a $20 relocation fee (that is in addition to the original $70). They found me another location, a Mexican restaurant. I placed the machine there. This location did quite well for me, about $60 a month gross. Then, I found out that this Mexican restaurant is owned by the mom of one of my daughters best friends. I also learned that the mom owns two other Mexican restaurants in my area. I contacted the mom, and she gave me permission to to place machines in her two other Mexican restaurants. These two additional restaurants combined do about $82.50 a month for me. So now we're talking about $142 + a month gross revenue, spawned by 1 locator order.

Fast forward to tonight. For months, I've had my eye on a certain diner located about 4 miles from my home. This diner is one of six extremely popular, kid-centric, heavy traffic. "local institution" type family diners in the state of Maryland. About a week ago, I had placed another order with KickStart. I put one of these 6 prime location diners on my "Wish List." I told them I can only place machines on the weekend. I got an email back from KickStart saying that they had secured permission from the manager of my "wished-for" diner to deliver a candy machine (a Triple) "next Monday" at 11AM. Since I have Labor Day off from my regular job, I accepted the location date, but I wanted to know if the manager understood that "next Monday" meant Labor Day. I wrote KickStart with this question, but they didn't reply, so, I called the diner, just to verify that they actually plan to be open on Labor Day. The answer was yes. However, as the delivery time approached, I became concerned about the arrangements. Everything seemed too tenuous. I kept calling the diner tonight until, finally, about 8PM, I got the manager on the phone.

Boy was it a good thing that I called! The manager (female) was not thinking about Monday being a holiday and had no intention of being at work on Labor Day, so the 11AM Monday appointment was invalid. Further, she seemed reluctant to go through with the deal at all. I asked her if I could simply drive the machine out to her, tonight, so she could see the size of it and determine if she has sufficient floor space for it. At first, she said no. This thing was going south fast, but I kept talking to her. She wanted to know how long she would be obligated to keep the machine at the diner, if she chose to accept it at all. I told her not a day longer than she might want it there. Finally, she agreed to a visit from me from me, but only for the purpose of looking at the machine, not for me to place it. I loaded up my car with the machine AND also everything that I needed to place the machine: candy and gumballs for 3 canisters, my charity sticker, and my National Children's Cancer Society placement letter. Around 9PM tonight, I got her to look at the machine. She said immediately, "Oh, that's fine, bring it in." Bottom line, I got the account; the machine is now on location. The manager even agreed to email me when any of the product gets low! But, the best part is that she is (I learned tonight) the manager of ALL 6 of these family diners. She has already given me permission to place a machines at her Catonsville, MD diner, and I'm sure she will be fine about letting me into any/all of the other ones as well.

You just can't script this kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you recommend using Kickstart? I am just getting started. Are they national?

This is a story about good luck, KickStart, and some hustle on my part.

For placement of my first bulk candy vending machine, which I purchased back in April of this year, I used KickStart. Within about a week of taking my order, they found me a location, a restaurant. I placed the machine. Three weeks later, I had about 5 quarters in the machine. Bummer. So, I pulled the machine and paid KickStart a $20 relocation fee (that is in addition to the original $70). They found me another location, a Mexican restaurant. I placed the machine there. This location did quite well for me, about $60 a month gross. Then, I found out that this Mexican restaurant is owned by the mom of one of my daughters best friends. I also learned that the mom owns two other Mexican restaurants in my area. I contacted the mom, and she gave me permission to to place machines in her two other Mexican restaurants. These two additional restaurants combined do about $82.50 a month for me. So now we're talking about $142 + a month gross revenue, spawned by 1 locator order.

Fast forward to tonight. For months, I've had my eye on a certain diner located about 4 miles from my home. This diner is one of six extremely popular, kid-centric, heavy traffic. "local institution" type family diners in the state of Maryland. About a week ago, I had placed another order with KickStart. I put one of these 6 prime location diners on my "Wish List." I told them I can only place machines on the weekend. I got an email back from KickStart saying that they had secured permission from the manager of my "wished-for" diner to deliver a candy machine (a Triple) "next Monday" at 11AM. Since I have Labor Day off from my regular job, I accepted the location date, but I wanted to know if the manager understood that "next Monday" meant Labor Day. I wrote KickStart with this question, but they didn't reply, so, I called the diner, just to verify that they actually plan to be open on Labor Day. The answer was yes. However, as the delivery time approached, I became concerned about the arrangements. Everything seemed too tenuous. I kept calling the diner tonight until, finally, about 8PM, I got the manager on the phone.

Boy was it a good thing that I called! The manager (female) was not thinking about Monday being a holiday and had no intention of being at work on Labor Day, so the 11AM Monday appointment was invalid. Further, she seemed reluctant to go through with the deal at all. I asked her if I could simply drive the machine out to her, tonight, so she could see the size of it and determine if she has sufficient floor space for it. At first, she said no. This thing was going south fast, but I kept talking to her. She wanted to know how long she would be obligated to keep the machine at the diner, if she chose to accept it at all. I told her not a day longer than she might want it there. Finally, she agreed to a visit from me from me, but only for the purpose of looking at the machine, not for me to place it. I loaded up my car with the machine AND also everything that I needed to place the machine: candy and gumballs for 3 canisters, my charity sticker, and my National Children's Cancer Society placement letter. Around 9PM tonight, I got her to look at the machine. She said immediately, "Oh, that's fine, bring it in." Bottom line, I got the account; the machine is now on location. The manager even agreed to email me when any of the product gets low! But, the best part is that she is (I learned tonight) the manager of ALL 6 of these family diners. She has already given me permission to place a machines at her Catonsville, MD diner, and I'm sure she will be fine about letting me into any/all of the other ones as well.

You just can't script this kind of stuff.

I agree, not luck. It sounds like you're one of the few (no offense intended) that has their head on straight and is able to talk to people in a sensible way. It's really just sales - talk to people, do what you say you're going to do, be prepared, pay attention to the details, etc. Sounds like you're a good salesperson and assuming you have the time you'll be locating yourself no problem.

I've found that to be my problem. It's tough to locate as the manager isn't always available and sometimes you catch them at the wrong time. It takes follow ups and time. I've thought about the locator but I just can't wrap my head around $30 a location (isn't that what it is?). The locator I hear about all the time here seems to be Eddie. I may decide I just have to go that route.

I do not believe in luck. People who work hard, and smart end up being "lucky". And often luck is just an excuse for those who fail to achieve.

I believe in luck, but luck can only take you so far. If you have 10 very lucky vending locations that generate a lot of money, you could have got lucky but if you do not expand your business and work hard, it doesn't matter how lucky you are.

I agree, not luck. It sounds like you're one of the few (no offense intended) that has their head on straight and is able to talk to people in a sensible way. It's really just sales - talk to people, do what you say you're going to do, be prepared, pay attention to the details, etc. Sounds like you're a good salesperson and assuming you have the time you'll be locating yourself no problem.

I've found that to be my problem. It's tough to locate as the manager isn't always available and sometimes you catch them at the wrong time. It takes follow ups and time. I've thought about the locator but I just can't wrap my head around $30 a location (isn't that what it is?). The locator I hear about all the time here seems to be Eddie. I may decide I just have to go that route.

I appreciate the comments. The way I look at it, I got two lucky breaks using Kickstart, but, through networking and some diligence, managed on both occasions to parlay those purchased locations into additional, "bonus"locations that are proving highly productive. I plan to find my next location the "shoe leather" way.

Archived