Location excuses

sterling

This might be funny. What is your lamest reason you got for not allowing you to secure a location.

Here is a recent one I got.

You can't bring in the toys, they come in capsules. If someone leaves a capsule on the ground they will slip and fall. I will be liable. It's ok to bring back the candy. (Although ants have been in the machines three times now and we spray poison on the machine and watch the ants crawl all over the candy and then let little kids ingest it. This is way safer than a slip and fall.)

I added a bit of commentary here. She is really more afraid of a slip and fall than poisoning!

I had a location deny placement because he thought he would be taxed by the city. I could not get it through his head that I would pay any fee's.

I still think about this one. He turned down some good revenue because of taxes. Go figure.

I had one that said he was going to buy a gumball machine off the internet. This was a small hot dog eatery. I wanted to say, "Good idea! Makes me want to go buy a pot to boil my own hot dogs".

That place is no longer in business.

I had a location deny placement because he thought he would be taxed by the city. I could not get it through his head that I would pay any fee's.

I still think about this one. He turned down some good revenue because of taxes. Go figure.

I just had the same expererience with the tax issues, and could not get through to them either.

My number one reason has to be that it is a corporate policy not to allow vending machines. Just had this at a muffler place I got my oil changed at. I gave them the sales pitch while there and then was turned down because of corporate policy. They then found my car to need a new tie rod, and I politely said no thanks I usually get my cars serviced where I have machines located as I feel that is in my best interest.

I just had the same expererience with the tax issues, and could not get through to them either.

My number one reason has to be that it is a corporate policy not to allow vending machines. Just had this at a muffler place I got my oil changed at. I gave them the sales pitch while there and then was turned down because of corporate policy. They then found my car to need a new tie rod, and I politely said no thanks I usually get my cars serviced where I have machines located as I feel that is in my best interest.

That's my policy also Peanut. If I am choosing between giving my business to two places that are in any way similar I will always give it to the one that has my machines.

That's my policy also Peanut. If I am choosing between giving my business to two places that are in any way similar I will always give it to the one that has my machines.

LOL! At one time, I had 5 tattoo parlors on my routes, and I don't have any tattoos, and I don't ever plan too. Sometimes you just can't patronize a store not matter how much you would like to do so.

@ Bacho Was the shop the guy didn't want kids an ice cream parlor?

I was waiting for Sterling to start this topic!

I have two similar to the ice cream shop reply. These two places are next to each other. I had a real good Blockbuster Video that closed and next to it is an ice cream shop and a birthday party shop where kids make things out of clay and paint them. First, the party joint said she didn't want vending machines because it brought in too many kids and they made to much noise. Second, was the ice cream shop that said that it would cause kids to come in to his store. I think there may have been a gas leak in that line of stores because neither one of them realized that kids are customers too.

Gary

I've had one place say that it was against their lease, it was a restaurant which had other style machines and was not in a good area. I don't think the landlord would have something against gumball machines specifically.

Most of my weirdness comes from places that accept the machines. "Can we leave it outside in front of the store?" "Can you get rollers so we can move it around the restaurant?" "Can you place them on top of the tables?" "Can you place it on top of the counter?" "Can I move it to the outside seating area? [which was the sidewalk]"

@ Bacho Was the shop the guy didn't want kids an ice cream parlor?

No, it was a doughnut shop. It's a local chain of them and it was the first one that I hit up, trying to get my foot in the door. They're located in a small strip mall and kids do hang out there.

I just thought of another crazy account that told me they didn't want a vending machine in their store because robbers would break the window or door to get in to steal the money.

Gary

That is at least possible in todays world. I have a location that I was sharing with another operator until something similar happened. I have a Beaver rack in there and he had a vendstar. Someone walked in and smashed the vendstar on the ground, grabbed up some change and ran. This was during business hours.

I think that you can already assume something like that could happen based on the area/account you put your rack in. If you are afraid to collect and leave your van unattended, you could take the "break the windows" reason as factually. The account I am talking about is not in an area like that. They are using it only as an excuse instead of just saying "no".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I had one that said it would attract kids. He didn't want any kids in his store because he hated the brats. :rolleyes:

Ha! Puts a whole new meaning to the term "child free"...

I had one that said he was going to buy a gumball machine off the internet. This was a small hot dog eatery. I wanted to say, "Good idea! Makes me want to go buy a pot to boil my own hot dogs".

That place is no longer in business.

:D

touché!!!

I tried to place a toy rack at a small, upscale pizza joint. It was more like a bistro or cafe. Turns out it was a place that sold only kosher dishes. They said that they couldn't accept a vending machine since it wasn't kosher. How can a toy rack be not kosher?

My favorite excuse so far came from the female manager at a tavern who didn't want a candy machine in her establishment because "the girls [meaning her waitresses and bartender chicks] are on a diet."

if i had a dollar for every time i heard this placing an honor box i could stop trying to place them.

Archived