Clear Coat Paint

agrantha

HillBilly are you there?

I just painted a candy machine (NorthWestern Super 60) red. The top is not as shiny as the other parts I painted. Should I use a clear coat gloss. I used Rust-O-Leum high gloss caution red to paint the machine.

Thanks

HillBilly are you there?

I just painted a candy machine (NorthWestern Super 60) red. The top is not as shiny as the other parts I painted. Should I use a clear coat gloss. I used Rust-O-Leum high gloss caution red to paint the machine.

Thanks

From my experience this is what I've learned. Of course I don't understand everything I know about itshocked.gif When painting the tops of machines you generally lay them down flat right? The rest of the parts are taller than the lid and the spray paint can is more upright when spraying. The can is more flat like when painting the lids because of the angle of the can. Try propping up the lids against something, then painting, and see if that helps matters.

If it doesn't and you have to clear coat just buy clear gloss. Make sure the piece is really dry or you will end up with crows feet all over it or an orange peel look. Crows feet happens when the paint underneath hasn't dried all the way. Orange peel is contaminants on the last layer of paint.

Good luck.

From my experience this is what I've learned. Of course I don't understand everything I know about itshocked.gif When painting the tops of machines you generally lay them down flat right? The rest of the parts are taller than the lid and the spray paint can is more upright when spraying. The can is more flat like when painting the lids because of the angle of the can. Try propping up the lids against something, then painting, and see if that helps matters.

If it doesn't and you have to clear coat just buy clear gloss. Make sure the piece is really dry or you will end up with crows feet all over it or an orange peel look. Crows feet happens when the paint underneath hasn't dried all the way. Orange peel is contaminants on the last layer of paint.

Good luck.

Thanks to the #1 refurb man grin.gif

• 2 months later...

Good luck.

Hillbilly was clearing coating some machines this morning and the lids turned out great but when I did the body it immediately look like paint was being ate away is this the orange peel effect? It had been 48 hours since they were painted, so they were dry. What contaminates could cause this?

these machines have to go out tomorrow so will have to skip clear coat this time

post-1725-0-14151400-1322766920_thumb.jpg

painted inside and did not clean machines with anything after painting just wiped off with dry cloth

Im not sure why you would even bother with a clear coat! I never use a clear coat it's just more work, once it's on location no one will know the difference.

Yup. The lacquer works great to remove oils and dirt. Most paints have lacquer in them so that is the reason it doesn't affect the paint sticking to it. I am actually in the process of painting my car and that is what I use to clean is used to clean it before spraying primer or paint.

So if I'm just gonna sand and paint (skipping the primer and clear coat) what is the best thing to clean machines with in between sanding and painting to not contaminate?

I keep it simple when repainting equipment, I dont use primer or clear coat or any type cleaners to remove dirt. ( cleaners give you the most trouble with orange peel etc...) but, I do use a 150 grit sand paper to remove surface grime and old paint and then follow up with a 220 fine grit to smooth the surface, I then use a dry clean cloth to remove dust. In the summer time I move painted pieces inside immediately because of the high humidity (also because of orange peel problem)

I use rustoleum safety red from lowes

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=95&sid=7564838

I have to disagree with you on that one Will! cleaners have nothing to do with orange peel! The orange peel comes from many factors. The distance when spraying, spraying patterns, wind, and most importantly the clear coat itself. As far as cleaning it I wouldn't use anything other than lacquer thinner to clean the surface otherwise the paint will not stick.

As for vending machines I would avoid the clear all together.

I have to disagree with you on that one Will! cleaners have nothing to do with orange peel! The orange peel comes from many factors. The distance when spraying, spraying patterns, wind, and most importantly the clear coat itself. As far as cleaning it I wouldn't use anything other than lacquer thinner to clean the surface otherwise the paint will not stick.

As for vending machines I would avoid the clear all together.

im sure you know more about the cleaners than me but when I stopped using them my problems went away, ive never used lacquer thinner though. Im not saying my way is the right way or even the best way its just what I have narrowed it down to while eliminating any problems. I will give the lacquer thinner a try though...

Im no pro but when it comes to painting my car I researched it to avoid rubbing my whole car with a buffing pad and rubbing compound! Anyways yea the lacquer won't create any problems. When you buy a quart of paint and mix it yourself you actually use lacquer to thin the paint down. Hope this helps.

Im no pro but when it comes to painting my car I researched it to avoid rubbing my whole car with a buffing pad and rubbing compound! Anyways yea the lacquer won't create any problems. When you buy a quart of paint and mix it yourself you actually use lacquer to thin the paint down. Hope this helps.

Nick gives pretty good advice. He is in the business. My experience comes from selling Dupont paint for years and working with painters and there painting problems.

Mainor: From the look of that picture, it is probably the cleaner or adhesive remover that was used to clean or remove the Mylar. If no Mylar was on it then it is simply the oil from your hands. I've seen problems arise from using Silicone Permatex or Armor All in the same repair shop. You just never know what will cause problems. Humidity and dirt are the most common factors.

Use lacquer thinner like Nick said or buy a gallon of some type of final wash. Available at most automotive stores. I use Dupont Prepsol when I have a problem.

Archived