Selling candy is a pain

raquel

I have a location that started off great with peanut M&Ms. However, they've made multiple requests for different kinds of candy and nuts that don't sell, and the revenue has decreased. Now they want pretzel M&Ms which no one in the area will have in stock for at least another week. What's the best way to deal with a location that wants to be picky?

This does kinda suck.... In my latest location a foot doctors office the lady requested reg mms peanuts and skittles. I forgot and loaded pmm mike and ikes and skittles. The next day she called saying if I had forgotten she said ppl here are diabetic mostly. So somehow peanut mnms are bad yet reg mnms and regular peanuts arent? Lol. Anyways the next day I go change the cannisters and skittle has 1 quarter mike and ikes 1 and pmm 7 quarters. Obviously id do better w pmm. But thats what she wanted there.

I have a location that started off great with peanut M&Ms. However, they've made multiple requests for different kinds of candy and nuts that don't sell, and the revenue has decreased. Now they want pretzel M&Ms which no one in the area will have in stock for at least another week. What's the best way to deal with a location that wants to be picky?

Make a deal with the owner. They don't tell you how to run your business, and you won't tell them how to run theirs. Put in what sells, not what they ask for. You can try what they ask for, but if it doesn't sell, you reserve the right to sell what you want to sell.

If a location ask for a specific product I will usually comply, but if it doesn't sell I'll replace it and when they ask I'll tell them. The last location that asked for something wanted PMM. I explained that they would only get between 5 to 7 piece, and I would have to replace the double with a triple. But this location is worth the extra attention. I have to service it every 2 weeks to stop them from calling me because they are out of product.

Gee. I also hate it when locations do that to me. They constantly have to come up with new requests for the candy machine. If one week it's not that, then the next they will have another issue. Then they would complain that the machine doesn't give enough or whatever. Or that i should come more often. I honestly think that some people do this because they want to strike up some kind of conversation.

Requests rarely sell. You have to do whats right for your business. If the location won't budge on product selection, it's time to remove your machine.

Sent using Tapatalk from a phone that's smarter than me.

I serviced a machine the other day (Vendstar triple) and got several requests for different products. At first I wasn't sure how to respond since the current mix was selling moderately well. Then it hit me "Why don't I do one better and bring you a second machine with the products you requested? I may need to use it somewhere else later but for now it's yours." It gets a vendstar out of my warehouse and while it may not make a ton it gives me a chance to try out a few new products to see how they perform. Later when I need that machine elsewhere it will be easy to say "Sorry, I need this extra machine now, but here - it seems lots of people like XXX, YYY, and ZZZ - so I'll make sure to keep your remaining machine filled with those."

I serviced a machine the other day (Vendstar triple) and got several requests for different products. At first I wasn't sure how to respond since the current mix was selling moderately well. Then it hit me "Why don't I do one better and bring you a second machine with the products you requested? I may need to use it somewhere else later but for now it's yours." It gets a vendstar out of my warehouse and while it may not make a ton it gives me a chance to try out a few new products to see how they perform. Later when I need that machine elsewhere it will be easy to say "Sorry, I need this extra machine now, but here - it seems lots of people like XXX, YYY, and ZZZ - so I'll make sure to keep your remaining machine filled with those."

What are the downsides to vendstar? Do they have freshness seals? I have heard some bad things about them and how they are plastic. What is your take?

What are the downsides to vendstar? Do they have freshness seals? I have heard some bad things about them and how they are plastic. What is your take?

Nothing much special about them except that I had a few extras sitting in my warehouse/office space that came with a route I purchased. No freshness seals and they are cheap plastic machines - but I got them cheap too. Not the prettiest things but they work well enough, and the interchangeable cannisters makes swapping out candy real easy.

In this case it was a win all the way around because:

1) I got a machine out of my warehouse and out somewhere where it will produce income (at least some income).

2) I made the customer happy

3) I get to try out three new products at the customer's location without sacrificing the current selections.

4) The customer knows the arrangement is temporary until I need the machine elsewhere, at which point I'll leave them with the three top-selling products.

Archived