New Florida Law as of 7/1/10 ref vending machines

This just went into effect as of 7/1/10. Am I missing something on this? It is a Law that says you must have a sticker on your machine that says if there is no sticker call and report it. Does this pertain to bulk vending Machines?

Operators Must Change Vending Machine Notice

Effective July 1, 2010, the notice that MUST BE POSTED on ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGE VENDING MACHINES will change.

Operators must post the following statement on each machine:

NOTICE TO CUSTOMER:

FLORIDA LAW REQUIRES THIS NOTICE TO BE POSTED ON ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGE VENDING MACHINES. Report any machine without a notice to 1-800-352-9273. You may be eligible for a cash reward. DO NOT USE THIS NUMBER TO REPORT PROBLEMS WITH THE VENDING MACHINE SUCH AS LOST MONEY OR OUT-OF-DATE PRODUCTS.

The prior notice with specific vendee information must be removed from the food and beverage vending machines and replaced with the NEW notice by July 1, 2010.

The notice must be displayed on the upper front of a vending machine so it is easily read by the public, unless the placement impairs the use of the machine. The notice must be attached to the machine so it is not easily removed. A penalty of $250 can still be imposed on the operator for each vending machine without the notice. Interest will accrue on the $250 penalty, according to Chapter 212, Florida Statutes.

The Department of Revenue is authorized to compensate persons who provide information leading to the recovery of unpaid taxes from the operators of coin-operated vending machines in Florida.

Persons who provide information showing that a vending machine operator has failed to attach the required notice to the machine may be eligible for a reward. The reward can be up to 10 percent of the previously unpaid taxes recovered from the operator. Call 1-800-352-9273 to report violations.

Reference:  Section 212.0515, Florida Statutes (2010), Chapter 2010-138, Laws of Florida. (Section 6, CS/HB 7157, 1st Engrossed

When I was down there last year I ran into this on some of the bulk machines that were in the same locs as mine.

I was concerned at the time and made several calls to the state to clarify but kept getting the run around.

One dept would give me a number for another and round and round it went for about 2 weeks.

They certainly dont make it easy to find out for sure.

What i got was it appears there is a gray area for bulk vending because its not considered "food" vending, no one could tell me who really made the laws or enforced them.

I just gave up!

The sticker is probably too large for bulk machine anyway.  If someone has one of these stickers on their machine, please take a photo and post it here.

Thanks

From what I understand, people were using the address and tax ID on the machines to commit fraud so the state is protecting vendors.

So in FL,  you have to have the address and tax id info on your full line machines?

I've got them in all of my machines (the whole 3 located lol) 'cause I can't afford a $250 violation. Between this and the nutrition labels there will be no free space on the dang machines.

would you take a pic and post them plz? I need to see what they look like. thanks

In Florida on bulk and full line machines, you are supposed to have a label posted that states your tax #. It shows that you are paying taxes to the state and any machines without them can receive big penalties if they are not paying taxes. They are actually labels you have to make your self with the font being a certain size and stuff.

This label requirement has been effect for many years and is nothing new.  The state simply added the extra sentence to not call them (the state) for service problems,  Some people were actually calling Tallahassee for refunds and other machine problems!  What I don't understand is why the label is not required for the toy products, but just food and beverage.  I never see biz-op machines with this label, so I guess the gumball police are busy doing other things!  As far as taxes go,  25 cent charity machines are exempt from the sales tax and the first $25,000 of machine assets are exempt from property taxes (thank you Jeb Bush).  There is also another license fee per machine payable to the county, but that has nothing to do with this label which is at the state level.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of questions:

1.  Where do you get the stickers?

2.  If you have a sticker indicating that you support a charity organization (such as National Children's Cancer Society) is that then considered a charitable machine?

The sticker is not really a sticker but something that you make yourself. When you register with the state of Florida to pay sales tax, they send you all of the information about the "sticker" and what to put on it and where it needs to be placed on your machines.

• 3 weeks later...