DIXIE 440

I recently bought a Dixie 440 for a concrete plant and have corrected all problems except one, the number 1 column doesn't work.I can push the cherry switch and it works. I emptied the column and the sold out switch works, I plugged in a switch and it didn't help. If my thinking is correct then I have a broken wire somewhere.Hhas anybody had this problem?

John

I recently bought a Dixie 440 for a concrete plant and have corrected all problems except one, the number 1 column doesn't work.I can push the cherry switch and it works. I emptied the column and the sold out switch works, I plugged in a switch and it didn't help. If my thinking is correct then I have a broken wire somewhere.Hhas anybody had this problem?

John

I'd run an external "hot" wire from the button to the motor.  This is an easy way to check for a broken wire without unraveling the whole harness.  You know the neutral side works because the other motors work.  If this works then you'll need to open up the harness and install a new wire.  The likely weak spot will be down by the door hinge and you may find other wires on their way out as well.  I've used the heat shrink tubing to assemble the harness in the past - you can get this stuff at any electronics supply but you'll need a heat gun.

Did you replace the selection switch or the motor switch? Try replacing the motor cluster switch. Is your motor in the home position as the other switches are? You should make sure all three connectors are properly installed on the motor switches including all 3 side terminals. If you only have 7 selection buttons then you might have a problem in the sequencing solenoid not allowing col. 1 to vend.

If you establish a credit (with cans in the column), press the offending selection and the sold-out light comes on then the selection switch is good. In this instance, if the motor is good and a new motor switch doesn't solve it, then you probably have a bad sold-out switch. Replace both s/o switches and see if the problem is solved.

Did you replace the selection switch or the motor switch? Try replacing the motor cluster switch. Is your motor in the home position as the other switches are? You should make sure all three connectors are properly installed on the motor switches including all 3 side terminals. If you only have 7 selection buttons then you might have a problem in the sequencing solenoid not allowing col. 1 to vend.

If you establish a credit (with cans in the column), press the offending selection and the sold-out light comes on then the selection switch is good. In this instance, if the motor is good and a new motor switch doesn't solve it, then you probably have a bad sold-out switch. Replace both s/o switches and see if the problem is solved.

I changed the selection switch, the motor is in the home position(the same as #20 when I pulled the wires off the selection switch there was what appeared to be corrosion on the terminals. tomorrow I'll check the cluster switch and the sold out switch.

Thanks for the quick response.

John

I had a similar problem that was off & on (sometimes column 7 would say sold out sometimes it would not) for several months.  It took  me a while to figure it out because it was my first attempt at selling energy drinks out of the machine & at first I thought they just weren't selling.  I tried all kinds of fixes & it would work then a week later I would go & service the machine & it was still full but when I pushed the button it said sold out. Long story short what had happened was the wire that went from that column to the board was passing around a metal corner up inside the door & it had worn a tiny nick in sheath around the wire for that comumn that you could barely see & the wire was gounding out against the metal intermittently.  I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the nick & the machine has been doing fine for over a year now.

I swapped the cluster switch and the sold out switch with number 2 and 2 still works,the sold out light doesn't light when I push the selection switch.The rain forced me inside so I couldn't check anything else.This is a single price machine with 8 buttons and 8 columns.

John

Did you remember to set a credit before you tried to vend #1?  Do you know that the sold out light on button 1 is good?  Is the selection switch you put on #1 a new one?  Is button 1 wired the way the wiring diagram shows?  If you have a Magnum machine with 8 vertical buttons, one terminal on your switch has no wire on it.  That will be the NC terminal.  If you accidentally put the NO wire on the NC terminal, you won't get any vends.  If this is ok, then you need to ohm out the wire from the NO terminal of button 1 to the red sold out switch on column one.  Follow the wiring diagram on your inner door for the wire numbers.

Hi, different question for 440 single price. The new 72 " lights I put in don't work. How can I check if it's the sensors or the light balance on the machine?

Thank you.

First make sure that the system's plugged in all the way back to the ballast and that the ballast is connected.  If this is all good you'll need to swap out the ballast - the online lighting suppliers will have the best price on things like this.  The traditional vending suppliers are extremely high on lighting parts.

First make sure that the system's plugged in all the way back to the ballast and that the ballast is connected. If this is all good you'll need to swap out the ballast - the online lighting suppliers will have the best price on things like this. The traditional vending suppliers are extremely high on lighting parts.

Many thanks moondog.

You guys are the pros in vending!

Did you remember to set a credit before you tried to vend #1?  Do you know that the sold out light on button 1 is good?  Is the selection switch you put on #1 a new one?  Is button 1 wired the way the wiring diagram shows?  If you have a Magnum machine with 8 vertical buttons, one terminal on your switch has no wire on it.  That will be the NC terminal.  If you accidentally put the NO wire on the NC terminal, you won't get any vends.  If this is ok, then you need to ohm out the wire from the NO terminal of button 1 to the red sold out switch on column one.  Follow the wiring diagram on your inner door for the wire numbers.

Yes I had a credit on the machine,the sold out light and selection switch are brand new, and the no wire is on the correct terminal.

I'll check the wiring as soon as the weather cooperates. Thank you for your time and expertise.

John

AZ,

I found the problem, it turned out to be the number 2 switch that wasn't sending power up to number 1 switch. after replacing number 2 switch it fixed the problem.Thank you so much for your guidance, without which I would still be wondering what to check where.

John

First make sure that the system's plugged in all the way back to the ballast and that the ballast is connected. If this is all good you'll need to swap out the ballast - the online lighting suppliers will have the best price on things like this. The traditional vending suppliers are extremely high on lighting parts.

Hi moondog, can I use electrical tape and wire caps to connect the new ballast?

Hi moondog, can I use electrical tape and wire caps to connect the new ballast?

You should only need the small blue wire nuts.  If you have to strip the wire, make sure you don't nick it as it could break when you twist on the wire nuts.  There should already be wire nuts on the old ballast.

• 2 weeks later...

The motor is coasting. The brake is either gummed up with syrup or the tab on the brake has broken off...

A cheater cord is the best way to test a single price vendor. There are a few websites that will show you how to make one.

D/N's are the easiest to troubleshoot with a cheater.

First unplug coin mech and plug cheater in.

Put all motors in the valley. If pre 90 series... 3 motor switches not two. If 2 switches ignore the following. Cheater will still work but only as a credit.

Press the cheater once. The first motor will vend. Catch the can? LOL

Press it again and the second column will vend

Each press will advance to the next column

After vending all the columns (if they all vend) You have just checked all the motors, breaks, switches. You now know with reasonable certainty That the problem you are having isn't in the stack side of the vendor. It is in the door.

If one of the columns won't vend then you have a bad cluster switch on that column or the previous one. D/N power flows right to left in order of selections. 440 for example will vend columns 1 & 2 and then jump to the left side of vendor and vend 3 & 4 then back to the right # 5 column #6 #7 and #8.

I usually do this sequence twice when preparing a vendor for a location. Or until I can vend all columns with no errors. While you are vending the columns listen to motors and rotors. Clattering is a brake out of adjustment, groaning is a sign of a bent rotor.

If after you have done this load each column with several cans. Press the cheater, there should be no vend unless you press a selection switch. Now press the #1 selection switch if no vend. 2 things to check. Did the credit relay set and then release? If so bad credit relay. #2 Did the sold out light come on and stay on while pressing the selection switch? If so since we already know the motor is ok then 2 things the back spacer is set to far back and the soldout paddle is not full depressed. If the soldout paddle is depressed then it is a bad soldout switch or the paddle isn't holding down both switches.

Vendo's are a little more complicated but same idea...

I have another problem with this machine.The far left column #4 self vends a lot, I've tried a new cluster switch to no avail and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to look for?Thanks

John

Did you check your brake on motor, they do break and will free vend when that selection is made. Also check make sure the wires for motor is not pinched by cover for all motors, this will cause it to empty the whole colunm of drinks.

mike

Did you check your brake on motor, they do break and will free vend when that selection is made. Also check make sure the wires for motor is not pinched by cover for all motors, this will cause it to empty the whole colunm of drinks.

mike

I've had the cover on and off 20 times lately and I doubt that is it. I sprayed all the brakes and wiggled them to make sure they are free.It auto vends one drink when money is inserted.

John

I've had the cover on and off 20 times lately and I doubt that is it. I sprayed all the brakes and wiggled them to make sure they are free.It auto vends one drink when money is inserted.

John

The cluster switch is bad on that column, if I read right you said changed it, change it out with another column if problem follows the switch, then you know it is the switch.

mike

if the cluster switch is in the proper position. Should be the same as all the others 1 in the valley 2 on top of the cam. You're select switch is what is causing the problem. Disconnect your slick switch from the normally open I believe not the common. Insert money and see if it vans then. If it does then it is the cluster switch. If all else is a like on the other columns.

if the cluster switch is in the proper position. Should be the same as all the others 1 in the valley 2 on top of the cam. You're select switch is what is causing the problem. Disconnect your slick switch from the normally open I believe not the common. Insert money and see if it vans then. If it does then it is the cluster switch. If all else is a like on the other columns.

I have seen where including me replaced a motor and got 1 of the wires under the motor and pinched it when tightening motor down. May not show up right away but later will ground out.... Is this a pre 90 series D/N 3 clusters or 2 cluster switches.

if the cluster switch is in the proper position. Should be the same as all the others 1 in the valley 2 on top of the cam. You're select switch is what is causing the problem. Disconnect your slick switch from the normally open I believe not the common. Insert money and see if it vans then. If it does then it is the cluster switch. If all else is a like on the other columns.if the cluster switch is in the proper position. Should be the same as all the others 1 in the valley 2 on top of the cam. You're select switch is what is causing the problem. Disconnect your slick switch from the normally open I believe not the common. Insert money and see if it vans then. If it does then it is the cluster switch. If all else is a like on the other columns.

lesson learned don't use WD40 to lube brakes. All right side brake pivots were gummed up once I cleaned them up everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

John

lesson learned don't use WD40 to lube brakes. All right side brake pivots were gummed up once I cleaned them up everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

John

WD-40 Has its uses.... Never on electronics.... I knew this guy who would prep vendors to go out and would spray all the motors everytime........ I had a boss who said a good service tech has a can of WD-40 in his pouch. I told him a good service tech won't need it. There isn't anything that comes from the factory with that on it.

I lube T-handles with white lithium it stays pliable even when it is cold.

The only thing that makes a brake stick is syrup from busted cans. Drivers break cans and put on motor cover to leak all over. Or they throw them in the bottom and let it run into drain pan. That eats the drain tube and then you have another problem or it overflows the drain pan and then you get a call oil is leaking out of the machine.

I unplug vendor and take a spray bottle with hot water and spray the brakes to loosen them. Then take a can of air to get all the water out and make sure it is dry before plugging back in. Or you can take motor apart and take it to a sink with hot water.

WD-40 Has its uses.... Never on electronics.... I knew this guy who would prep vendors to go out and would spray all the motors everytime........ I had a boss who said a good service tech has a can of WD-40 in his pouch. I told him a good service tech won't need it. There isn't anything that comes from the factory with that on it.I lube T-handles with white lithium it stays pliable even when it is cold.The only thing that makes a brake stick is syrup from busted cans. Drivers break cans and put on motor cover to leak all over. Or they throw them in the bottom and let it run into drain pan. That eats the drain tube and then you have another problem or it overflows the drain pan and then you get a call oil is leaking out of the machine.I unplug vendor and take a spray bottle with hot water and spray the brakes to loosen them. Then take a can of air to get all the water out and make sure it is dry before plugging back in. Or you can take motor apart and take it to a sink with hot water.

I used electronic parts cleaner but I had to take the front of the motor apart

You can also use glass cleaner to free a brake gummed up by syrup.  Spray it on the pivot points and then work the brake a bunch of times with you finger to work the glass cleaner into the joints.  This might work to also wash away the WD40, but if your brakes gum up again because the WD40 is still in the joints, then you will have to remove all the brakes and clean them.  WD40 gets gummy when cold and it attracts and holds dirt and that's why we can't use it in vending.  There is no lube needed on the brakes, just clean them.

Archived