Looking to put a few crane machines in a shopping mall

USMC

I read a post on here a few weeks back about someone who had put a few crane machines in a shopping mall. Well today I was at the mall walking around and noticed that there were no crane machines in the mall at all, so I went to talk to the Mall MGT to see if there was space available. This is what they said, I would need $2 million in liability insurance about $90 a month and I also needed an ACH account. As for the rent on the Kiosk location they said I needed to make an appointment and talk to the development manager. I also asked about prior crane operators in the mall, the lady said they had not had one for a few years. So I went ahead and asked if I could get the sales data from that vender, she said she could not release it. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Later on I was thinking what else could I put around the crane's to help bring in profit. If I were to place 2 machines back to back or side by side might there be room for other low profile machines around them.

I have a meeting later this week with the business development manager and I want to make sure that I have a good plan in place. Once I find out more on the pricing per SQFT I will let everyone know.

As of right now does anyone have thoughts on the size of cranes to use and what other machines might be able to go on the sides of the cranes?

It is good to be back in the U.S. after a grueling 35hr trip.

Thanks for all the help

I read a post on here a few weeks back about someone who had put a few crane machines in a shopping mall. Well today I was at the mall walking around and noticed that there were no crane machines in the mall at all, so I went to talk to the Mall MGT to see if there was space available. This is what they said, I would need $2 million in liability insurance about $90 a month and I also needed an ACH account. As for the rent on the Kiosk location they said I needed to make an appointment and talk to the development manager. I also asked about prior crane operators in the mall, the lady said they had not had one for a few years. So I went ahead and asked if I could get the sales data from that vender, she said she could not release it. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Later on I was thinking what else could I put around the crane's to help bring in profit. If I were to place 2 machines back to back or side by side might there be room for other low profile machines around them.

I have a meeting later this week with the business development manager and I want to make sure that I have a good plan in place. Once I find out more on the pricing per SQFT I will let everyone know.

As of right now does anyone have thoughts on the size of cranes to use and what other machines might be able to go on the sides of the cranes?

It is good to be back in the U.S. after a grueling 35hr trip.

Thanks for all the help

you might call the closest betson office and get them to e-mail you

their used equipment list. you're probably not going to find anything on

craigs list nice enough to put at a mall location.

The malls here all but a few cranes have been pushed out by the higher end

machines like LAI's stacker and barber cut.

Also you should check with your local tax collector about what

licenses you might need. Here in FL you need an amusement machine

license from the county and a business license. The mall will probably

request it is posted on the machine somewhere.

Also make sure to check if these games are even legal in your state. In some places there is a limit on the type of prize it can pay out or it can be banned altogether.

good luck

Crane sizes I'd go with a 31" up to a 41" crane. Bigger cranes can hold more prizes, but obviously have a larger footprint. Larger footprint can mean either less games will fit, or it is to big to even place in a location. (The mall probably has room, but later down the road if you decide to move it) Some good cranes: Plush Bus (ICE), Toy Chest (Smart Industries), Pirates Chest (Smart), Toy Soldier (Coastal), Toy Taxi (Coast to Coast), Acme Crane Co. (Benchmark). Any distributor will be able to provide these. I prefer Toy Taxi's myself.

You mentioned Cranes with some smaller stuff on the side...As Dogcow mentioned, the higher end merchandisers are outperforming cranes currently. If there is no legal issue with running a high end merch like Barber Cut, Winners Cube, Keymaster, etc then I would recommend doing so if it is financially feasible. (These games typically cost $5,000 new, $4,000 used. + they use expensive prizes such as Ipods, Ipads, Xbox's, etc.

(A setup with a 2 cranes with 1 high end merch in the middle would look attractive. Most of the High value merch games have an ugly all white cab)

Other possibilities may be a bulk rack. Or a photo booth.

Something else to consider is how people will be paying for your games. They need to have cash. Is there an ATM nearby? Will your games have DBA's or do you need a change machine as well? (If you are planning on a bulk rack I would say change machine).

I have a buddy in a mall with a barber cute lite doing 2100 a month. The most common bill in the dba is a 20.00. He also has toy taxi and hot stuff with it they also do well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Your buddy sounds like me. Those are the exact games I would run...shame Barber Cut next to worthless here in GA.

(Toy Taxi and Hot Stuff are both by Coast to Coast Amusements. They are the same game, just different cabs - if anyone was curious)

No reason your cranes can't offer a little "high end" merchandise just like those stackers.

Competitor friend of mind around here was making a killing putting some decent mp3 players in his cranes.

He'd rubber-band the mp3 players to a plush toy and set it right up front.

Or he'd set it right in the middle of the crane, but held it in place with other plush so it wouldn't be won too quickly.

He'd also put a flier on the machine advertising the mp3 player so that people could see the offering from a distance.

There's probably a dozen other light-weight but attractive high-end prizes you could tie to your plush to compete with some of the prizes offered by other games.

And you wouldn't have to invest in a $5k machine.

• 2 months later...

Archived