Belts for a DBV

Vendors exchange is one of my favorite places....

http://www.veii.com/

You can buy belts from them? Seems like I tried to buy at least Mars 2000 series belts a while back, but they wouldn't sell them to me. Said they would violate there service center contract.

Seems my DBV would work okay with some new belts. Where is the best place To find them? eBay or local vending parts store?

Ebay is a great place to get them. You should be able to find whatever you need there. Find an ad for belts that are sold by "vendaholic". That is a username for a good company in California which has great service and fast shipping times.

You can buy belts from them? Seems like I tried to buy at least Mars 2000 series belts a while back, but they wouldn't sell them to me. Said they would violate there service center contract.

It's been awhile since I ordered belts, probably about a year... and now that I think about it they were for Coinco's. Maybe things have changed since I last ordered??

What make and model BA are you working on?

In my opinion sum are not worth repairing.

If you included your location maybe someone may know a local source.

Often replacing the belt requires a lot of disassembly the people that specialize in this work do not charge a lot. and there is a steep learning curve. If you need to do dozens it may be worth learning.

Walta

How long should belts last?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

It can vary wildly depending on usage and the environmental conditions in which it operates. I've got some that have 10+ years on them and others that have not lasted 2years before needing replacement.

Depends on how much the unit is used, and what unit it is. Coinco belts don't last near as long as Mars belts no matter the scenario.

I bought all new mars so I guess I'm in good shape.

I bought all new mars so I guess I'm in good shape.

If you have all new Mars, I'm guessing maybe the 2700 series, then you are set as far as validators go. You'll find that that was one of the best vending business decisions you ever made. It will cut your service calls for bill acceptance problems by 90% easy.

H4UV,

Obviously you area big Mars fan but buying Mars does not solve all your vending problems or solve world peace. If you take equal vintage validators from Mars, Coinco, or Conlux and repair them with the proper parts and with the proper equipment you will get very similar results. Why do you feel that a validator that only takes $1&$5 bills and that you must need a 24 v unit to convert to MDB to be superior to a validator that will take $1-$20 and is always MDB? Have you ever taken equivalent rebuilt units and done your scientific testing? While the MEI equipment is good equipment so are the rest if fixed properly.

You have some good points.

1. I have tested my theory thoroughly. I ran half and half of Mars and Coinco in my machines for a year. During that time, I did not have to pull one Mars unit out for any servicing at all. I pulled Coincos out VERY often, escpecially changers that lost their tuning. People also complained about the Coincos not taking bills 4 ways. I pulled all Coincos from my machines at the end of the year and haven't had to pull a single Mars unit out for servicing for 2 whole years now.

2. My rebuilding process for validators is almost the same for Mars and Coinco. Here is the standard procedure:

• Test the validator with 25 bills prior to disassembling and test for problems.
  • Note problems found in original testing and repair those parts while disassembling unit.
  • Disassemble unit down to the small pieces, and replace any worn or broken parts.
  • Replace all belts, rollers, intermidiate frames (Coinco only), decal stickers, not working or old sensors, missing parts i.e. bill box latches, faded ID labels, broken control boxes or covers, and stained housings.
  • Clean every individual piece and reassemble by hand.
  • Polish the unit to make it look like new and remove minor scratches with polish and scratch remover.
  • Test unit with another 25 bills and only put on the shelf if it accepts all 25 flawlessly.
  • Upgrade unit to new currency if the unit is upgradable.

The units are in excellent condition and work great by the time they go through this process. Yes the Coincos take $1-$20, but so do some Mars validators. You can get that feature if you want. I don't have accounts that need to take $20s, $5 is high enough.

Coincos don't have as good of an acceptance rate. They don't take dirty and faded bills as well as the Mars do.

Coincos don't take bills 4 ways.

Coincos don't have sensors which are as protected as well as the Mars are, except maybe on their new Bill Pro series.

Coincos are bulkier and harder to fit into tighter spots because of the control box on the side.

Coincos are harder to service and clean in my opinion.

I just think Mars is a superior brand. Yes, you could run Coincos for years and maybe never have a problem. You could run Mars for 2 months and have one fail. Its all possible in the world of electronics.

But in general Mars units are better and will outlast Coinco easy. Quality of the rebuilding work plays a great part as well like you said. In my opinion, the Mars VN and AE series was the best validator series ever produced. I think that the Mars brand superiority speaks for itself in how expensive they are in any condition, how much they are sought after, by how many vendors prefer them, and by the poll results above.

You have some good points.

1. I have tested my theory thoroughly. I ran half and half of Mars and Coinco in my machines for a year. During that time, I did not have to pull one Mars unit out for any servicing at all. I pulled Coincos out VERY often, escpecially changers that lost their tuning. People also complained about the Coincos not taking bills 4 ways. I pulled all Coincos from my machines at the end of the year and haven't had to pull a single Mars unit out for servicing for 2 whole years now.

2. My rebuilding process for validators is almost the same for Mars and Coinco. Here is the standard procedure:

• Test the validator with 25 bills prior to disassembling and test for problems.
  • Note problems found in original testing and repair those parts while disassembling unit.
  • Disassemble unit down to the small pieces, and replace any worn or broken parts.
  • Replace all belts, rollers, intermidiate frames (Coinco only), decal stickers, not working or old sensors, missing parts i.e. bill box latches, faded ID labels, broken control boxes or covers, and stained housings.
  • Clean every individual piece and reassemble by hand.
  • Polish the unit to make it look like new and remove minor scratches with polish and scratch remover.
  • Test unit with another 25 bills and only put on the shelf if it accepts all 25 flawlessly.
  • Upgrade unit to new currency if the unit is upgradable.

The units are in excellent condition and work great by the time they go through this process. Yes the Coincos take $1-$20, but so do some Mars validators. You can get that feature if you want. I don't have accounts that need to take $20s, $5 is high enough.

Coincos don't have as good of an acceptance rate. They don't take dirty and faded bills as well as the Mars do.

Coincos don't take bills 4 ways.

Coincos don't have sensors which are as protected as well as the Mars are, except maybe on their new Bill Pro series.

Coincos are bulkier and harder to fit into tighter spots because of the control box on the side.

Coincos are harder to service and clean in my opinion.

I just think Mars is a superior brand. Yes, you could run Coincos for years and maybe never have a problem. You could run Mars for 2 months and have one fail. Its all possible in the world of electronics.

But in general Mars units are better and will outlast Coinco easy. Quality of the rebuilding work plays a great part as well like you said. In my opinion, the Mars VN and AE series was the best validator series ever produced. I think that the Mars brand superiority speaks for itself in how expensive they are in any condition, how much they are sought after, by how many vendors prefer them, and by the poll results above.

Good explanation and defense of your comments.

Did you start with fully rebuilt to factory standard validators on your test or just your rebuilding to your standards? Are you rebuilding with factory OEM parts or just replacement parts? Are you updating the software in your repairs at all or just changing hard parts.

I ask this as I have been doing this many years and your failure/success rate is terribly skewed to crazy levels. If Coinco and Conlux failed to the levels you state they would have gone by way of Ardac, Rowe, etc.

Hell, with proper parts and repairs you can still get 2 years plus from an old Maka NB10.

And as far as the poll with 10 votes......

I really don't know what else to say. You have good points on rebuilding, but I don't think that anyone will use a Maka or Ardac over a Mars because it was rebuilt just as well. Mars units still offer MUCH superiority over the Ardac and MAKAs, such as 4 way bill acceptance, faster bill acceptance, greater reliability, and more denomonations of bills accepted.

By saying that the Makas can compete with ANYTHING when rebuilt right, then your argument collapses with the $1-$20 bill acceptance, and I can use that argument in my favor when speaking of the Mars 2500 series over Makas, Ardacs, Rowe, etc.

Mars does make bill acceptors which take $1-$20 bills. The AE-2600 series is one of them.

I ALWAYS use OEM parts when rebuilding. Its hard to get the parts sometimes, but I do get them. I buy from Vendors Exchange, Eastern Commercial, Changemaker, or anywhere I can get them OEM. All three of those companies are either Coinco or Mars distributors.

I know you are not meaning to say that MAKA is superior to Mars or Coinco. Maka, Ardac, and Rowe have gone never to come back. Mars validators and coin changers are more operator friendly, last longer, work better, look better, and are liked better by most vendors.

I know that you have been in the business of rebuilding for a long time, and I respect your opinion. But I think I speak for a large majority of vendors.

IMO.

Archived