(OHIO) Getting a vendors licence tomorrow.

I found a candy distribution place that is 2 miles from my house. They sell candies really cheap and I dont need to buy more than a case at a time. Only catch is I need a vendors licence.

I found the info and called the county office today. They said fill out the form, bring it in, pay $25 and I can have the licence within 20 mins.

Anyone ever do this? What should I start setting aside for taxes? What else will I need to do to comply after being licenced?

I`m figuring ill pay what ever it takes to be able to get cases of PMM at 52 cents a pound.

Ohio is a little interesting when it comes to taxes related to vending. You can get more information from here http://business.ohio.gov/ . The candy isn't taxable because food "to go" isn't taxable in Ohio regardless of the dollar amount. So don't worry about sales tax. If you ever get into full line then it gets a bit more complicated and you can look into that when you get there. They probably don't care about your Tax ID, but if they do, you can give them your SSN. If you file your vending income as part of your personal income tax then that is your Tax ID. If you registered a business with the state (last time I checked it was $50), then you would get a FEIN and you would use that as your tax ID for business purposes. One of my suppliers does require my tax ID and I just use my SSN.

Ohio is a little interesting when it comes to taxes related to vending. You can get more information from here http://business.ohio.gov/ . The candy isn't taxable because food "to go" isn't taxable in Ohio regardless of the dollar amount. So don't worry about sales tax. If you ever get into full line then it gets a bit more complicated and you can look into that when you get there. They probably don't care about your Tax ID, but if they do, you can give them your SSN. If you file your vending income as part of your personal income tax then that is your Tax ID. If you registered a business with the state (last time I checked it was $50), then you would get a FEIN and you would use that as your tax ID for business purposes. One of my suppliers does require my tax ID and I just use my SSN.

Yeah I called the county office again and they said I wont need a tax ID for the licence. Right after i get the licence im going to the warehouse. Hopefully I have what I need to start buying.

If you are in Lake county you may want to come to cleveland and buy from this place too. Its called Sweet Distributing. Its on w25th St. north of metro hospital. He told me over the phone that I can buy 48lb cases of PMM for $25 with no min number of cases to buy. So im guessing the skittles, ikes and everything else is super cheap too.If this works out, I wont need sams club anymore.

They dont sell 48lbs of pmm for $25 like they guy said on the phone. It is 48 packs. They only sell candies for service vending. I went through all that trouble for nothing pretty much.

They dont sell 48lbs of pmm for $25 like they guy said on the phone. It is 48 packs. They only sell candies for service vending. I went through all that trouble for nothing pretty much.

I would think they buy direct from the mfg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Most of the people that worked there couldn`t speak English. I did ask the one that did if he can get any bulk candy in and he said no. On w67th there is a place that calls its self A & A. Im not sure it its an outlet to the one we all know or not. I will try calling them Monday. Does anyone even know if pmm even comes in a size larger than 56oz?

Regarding the license... as lakevending mentioned, you don't really need to worry about sales taxes if you only sell candy... however, if you are writing off equipment on your taxes, it may be beneficial (legally) to do so.

Wholesalers usually always require that I have a vendor's license (and if you get a license, you want a Transient Vendors License as it is good for ALL counties in Ohio and costs the same $25). The reason they require a license is because if they are selling you products at wholesale prices (meaning, they don't charge you sales tax), they are expecting YOU to pay the final sales tax after you make your retail sales. In your case, if you are doing just candy/snacks, you don't need to worry about paying sales tax and you could explain this.

Also, as mentioned earlier, if you get into full-line and decide to sell some soda, I strongly recommend getting a business registered, getting your Transient Vendors License, and paying your sales taxes! It could really save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Archived