Larger snack items in snack machines

Has anybody tried selling larger products in snack machines, more akin to the items you see in convenience stores? I'm thinking specifically about bags of chips, with the larger sizes carrying the possibility of a higher sales price. If anybody has tried this, did you find it successful?

Generally, the LSS (Large Single Size) items will need to have a double coil to vend properly. I have found that they only work in limited circumstances like an all-male manufacturing plant. Otherwise, the 1 oz sizes that fit in the regular snack coils work fine for all my other locations.

I would say the single most capable machine at vending large-size items without doing any major upgrading/replacing parts is the AP 6000/7000 series. I have seen those things at my local college campus all with upgraded doors which appear to be Revision doors from VE. The reason why they are so good at vending large items is because they are so deep and the simple design of the machine and trays just allows for a ton of room. The pastry trays don't seem to have so much but the top 2 or 3 rows have plenty of space.

If you had an AP 6000/7000 and upgraded the board (or the whole door like the revision doors) and put on a drop sensor, I would say you would be ready to go to vend those large convenience-store bags that sell for like $1.09. It would vend LSS with absolutely no issues at all.

It definitely sounds doable, but I have to ask is it feasible? Would the higher selling price really help generate more revenue, or do you think it would be a waste of time and effort to adapt a machine to sell stuff like this?

It depends on the location. You have to look at the cost of upgrading your machine at that location. If it makes business sense, and you are pretty sure you can recoup your losses in upgrading your machine within a reasonable timeframe, go for it.

I personally would not do it unless the cost of upgrades could be recouped within 3 months.

Has anybody tried selling larger products in snack machines, more akin to the items you see in convenience stores? I'm thinking specifically about bags of chips, with the larger sizes carrying the possibility of a higher sales price. If anybody has tried this, did you find it successful?

If you are talking about LSS (large single serve) items that are 1.5-2.0 oz then yes I have them in some machines. Depending on the equipment you have you may or may not need to make modifications. The newer the machine the less likely you will need to make modifications. Many of the very large vending companies are almost exclusively LSS on their chips sizes. They do this because they make more money that way, close to the same cost on a percentage basis but higher sales price translates into more money on the bottom line.

If you are thinking even larger items like some 4oz products, don't waste your time with them.

If you are thinking even larger items like some 4oz products, don't waste your time with them.

I agree. I firmly believe that vending and convenience stores are completely different. They are similar in the one-stop-shop concept but a convenience store literally goes through thousands of dollars in revenue daily while vending machines go through hundreds on the high end. Convenience stores need to have EVERYTHING in their stores to keep customers from going to competitors or buying their items from the grocery store. Vending machines only need to please the mass as employees can't just get up and go to the competitor's vending machines.

From the owners of convenience stores that I have talked to, they tell me that their margins aren't really that high... but they sell so much stuff that it keeps them profitable. However, if you are selling specific items like tools and things at locations that can use it (like selling gloves, safety glasses, etc... at a manufacturing location that needs them), this may be beneficial. Just don't try to compete with convenience stores, it's not a good idea unless you have some super secret master plan.

I agree with your other responses. I purchased the USI 7000 mainly for this same reason. I went from the 1oz to the 1.5 and 2oz.

Truly more $$$ in sales.

Vistar has a huge selection. The Lays and Doritos fly out the machine. Vistar is also good, becuase they deliver to your business or storage for a small fee.

The bigger the prize.....the bigger the $$$ in your basket!

• 3 weeks later...

Besides Vistar, where can I get the LSS products? My local Sam's Club doesn't carry them. I wouldn't be ordering enough to justify a Vistar order (their rep told me that the minimum order for my area is $750).

I believe you can get these from grocery stores as well usually. The LSS are just 2 oz chips (give or take 0.5 ounces). You can usually get a variety pack but you might pay $0.45~ per bag. You might lose some of those profit margins but at least you won't have to worry about having too much product expiring either.

I vend LSS for .85 to 1.00. I have older machines and there has been some jams, but if you work with the coil position you should be ok.

Also, remember the larger the item, the fewer your machine can hold!

Was just perusing my April copy of Automatic Merchandiser and found this article about LSS items.

http://www.vendingma...rge-size-snacks

In short based, on statistical data LSS sales in vending machines are declining due to cost.

I also read that article. It was very interesting but they took several pages to make the point that you summed up in one sentence.

Archived