dba issues

DrP

I have a Crane National 497 with a bad bill acceptor. It curently has a Coinco Ba30sa unit. The bills are wading up at the bottom of the stacker. I have to pull out the bottom sensor unit to remove the bills. Any ideas to fix this?

or

I have a new dba that I would use in this machine if I could change from dumb mech mode to mdb mode. I think this just requires a different cable.

Dale

I am not sure about the MDB upgrade at all. I think the problem with your validator is that a belt is not pulling properly or something is in the bill's pathway causing the jam. Try taking the part of the validator with the sensors out of the validator and make sure nothing is in the way. If you have already done this, and you don't have another validator readily available to swap out, I would just take the validator out, put a "change only, bill acceptor sent for repairs" sign on the machine and send that validator out to be fixed asap.

If I am not mistaken, the coinco mechs have a "button" on the bottom of the validator that you actually push in before you can pull out the bottom part of the validator. It's like a spring-loaded lock to prevent the bottom part from coming out on its own.

Last week I pulled the bottom outand removed 1/8 inch of a bill. Thought I had it fixed but still jamming. Tonight I removed to swap out but this has an odd bezel anddifferent plugs than my soda machines. While I had it out i took to well lit work bench and removed stacker and bottom. Belts look new but I found another 1/8 inch piece of bill.Removed that and cleaned and replaced. Tested 10 times worked ok on ones still not taking 5's.

Dale

Last week I pulled the bottom outand removed 1/8 inch of a bill. Thought I had it fixed but still jamming. Tonight I removed to swap out but this has an odd bezel anddifferent plugs than my soda machines. While I had it out i took to well lit work bench and removed stacker and bottom. Belts look new but I found another 1/8 inch piece of bill.Removed that and cleaned and replaced. Tested 10 times worked ok on ones still not taking 5's.

Dale

The next question is... why are these pieces getting torn off? Again, I still wonder if something isn't in there or if the validator isn't pulling the bills in all the way. I know that, in the past, there have been validators that would do this. I hope it continues to work for you without the jamming from now on though. The 5-dollar problem should be an entirely separate issue though.

It could be the dba hanging on one side and tearing the bill, But if you want my true honest opinion its someone trying to beat the machine by hanging on to the last tiny part of the bill and then trying to pull it back out and get a snack, pop, whatever.

I had a location like this a couple of years ago and I would find little pieces of dollar bills in the validator, would clean them out and put 10 to 15 bucks in to try to find the problem and never could. So I change out the validator same problem. One day the light bulb in my head goes off when a guy comes in to see if I would give him a good dollar bill because the one he had was missing a corner and I give him a good one and he gives me his which matches perfectly with the corner I just took out of the validator and then I knew.

I read somewhere years ago that the first validators people would tape a piece of thread to the end of the bill and let the validator register the dollar and then pull the bill back out because they did not have a anti pullback on them.

The 5 dollar bill problem could be a new 5 vs. old 5 problem

I would try both a new and old 5 bill before going any further with that.

My guess is it takes the old 5 and not the new 5 because it is not upgraded to the new 5s

Snack dude is probably right on all counts. The only thing I would add is to look at the pathway of the bill in the lower portion of the vaildator to see if there are any burrs or gouges. Sometimes when a bill jams the customer will cut and scrape up the billpath trying to unjam it.

It seems you have identified the defective part.

Now it is time to replace the bad part.

The people that fix BAs all day long know all the in and outs and don’t charge much.

Walta

Archived