Help! getting calls for cashews

sweetstop

If I were you, I'd contact a local grocery wholesaler, and see what their pricing is on either shipper cases, supply cases, or drop-ships. Terminology varies from supplier to supplier. If you can buy them in larger quantities (like an actual "store") you may be able to decrease the significant COGS on them. Depending on the setup though, I'd add a single head with a 50 cent mechanism for the Cashews if they are being requested. That makes the most sense to me anyway.

I know that nobody wants to tell the customer "No", but sometimes it must be done. I told 2 of my accounts I just can't do them anymore due to the price. Both understood and took a substitute. Since I don't have the .50 option, that is what I did.

Fugheddaboudit Frank.

You've been on this forum long enough to know not to accept requests. Especially cashews. You just can't portion enough to both satisfy the customer and make a worth-while profit.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I just added cashews to one of my Vendstars and set the portions size small. I'll see how it goes. They're selling quickly, but I'm not sure yet how profitable it will be. I didn't have a chance to calculate my total cost of goods vended, so shame on me. Hopefully I'll make at least some profit on them. It's at my highest profiting location, so as long as they pay for themselves I'm doing okay; I'll just want to adjust things a bit on the next service cycle if I find that they're not making money.

I just added cashews to one of my Vendstars and set the portions size small. I'll see how it goes. They're selling quickly, but I'm not sure yet how profitable it will be. I didn't have a chance to calculate my total cost of goods vended, so shame on me. Hopefully I'll make at least some profit on them. It's at my highest profiting location, so as long as they pay for themselves I'm doing okay; I'll just want to adjust things a bit on the next service cycle if I find that they're not making money.

With the cost as steep as they are, I can't imagine how you can make it with a Vendstar at 25 cents. Good luck on it though, if you get them cheap enough that might work for you.

With the cost as steep as they are, I can't imagine how you can make it with a Vendstar at 25 cents. Good luck on it though, if you get them cheap enough that might work for you.

I'm sure the profit margin will be small. I've got the same problem most people do with triples, two of my products sell great, but the third never sells. I just want something to move through that third head and not have to throw product away.

the thing is one of the places already has 2 triples and the 3 heads of mine machine do well.

This might be my in for a third machine, a single with a .50 mech for the cash. dont know if he'll go for it but if they want cashews it may be my only option.

having not ever used nuts before i was amazed at the price, not so much the price of the can because i see them at sams but how little you actually get for the money

Funny thing is

i own a Cinnamon almond stand... been roasting almonds in a copper kettle for 16 years now, also do mini donuts and fudge and chocolates...

been dealing with cashews, pecans, almonds and walnuts for years..

pecans and cashews are at a all time high right now

pecans are high because the Farmers in georgia lost thier farms

and the banks are letting the pecan trees and pecans ROT on the trees and wont let anyone farm them.

cashews come from india and other countries they are packed and shipped in 50 lb metal tins or 50 vaccum sealed bags

they are raw and then must be roasted or processed.

sams club is the same price as wholesale..

even sometimes cheaper than the actual wholesaler

yes thats actually a plus for sams club

roasted salted is what you want to use

WARNING

Cashews are very limited shelf life

they have a natural occuring worm that will grow inside the cashew they are white and look like maggots or wax worms

they do require sealed or kept below 50 deg to stay fresh

if this is a 3 month stop, dont use them the last thing you need is a customer going to the owner with a WORM...

the old saying from me is .. i have 12 flavors of fudge...

at least once a week we get someone asking for a speical flavor..

like maple walnut fudge with no nuts... i make 3 lbs of it and i throw it away they never came back.

so you will get people that will ask for diffrent things, IGNORE THEM!!!!!

they wont be back, OR they wont buy enough to make up for the loss of a popular flavor.

you could have 1000's flavors and someone will ask for thimbleberry?

If you want to use a NUT use honey roasted peanuts they have a good shelf life and less of a bug problems

bill

the old saying from me is .. i have 12 flavors of fudge...

at least once a week we get someone asking for a speical flavor..

like maple walnut fudge with no nuts... i make 3 lbs of it and i throw it away they never came back.

so you will get people that will ask for diffrent things, IGNORE THEM!!!!!

they wont be back, OR they wont buy enough to make up for the loss of a popular flavor.

you could have 1000's flavors and someone will ask for thimbleberry?

If you want to use a NUT use honey roasted peanuts they have a good shelf life and less of a bug problems

bill

Grape slushies. My father's concession stand got so many requests for it, we ponied up the $35.00 for a whole gallon of the stuff (a 6 oz bottle will last a whole season). I think we sold a dozen after that. Requests are a great way to show off that you do go above and beyond for your customers and the location, but in this case I don't see that benefit outweighing the significant downsides. Whatever you choose to do, good luck Sweetstop.

Is sams really the cheapest place for cashews? $16.88 a can can it even be done for .25 vends?

I just figured it up and at 12 cashews per .25 cent vend that all works out to $42 for the whole can. They cost $16.88 where I live too but this seems like a pretty good ROI. Am I vending way too little or is my math wrong?

Archived