Update

jpvending

Update from a newbie:

Got first machine placed last week on Thursday. It went in a pizza place where I used to work part time. One other vending machine there - a two head older machine that doesn't get cleaned often. The store owner called today. Told me the machine was getting a good amount of use. That the kids really seemed to like the Runts. She also told me that she wished she knew how to get the other guy out of there without hurting his feelings. She liked my machine better...as did the other employees. :)

Went out and attempted locating today. Took fliers with me and hit a coffee shop/church (they are affiliated and attached). Talked to the person in charge but she said it was something the pastor would have to approve and that she'd pass on my information. Didn't seem very excited about it though. Then went to a vetrinarian's office. They were excited (front staff). I explained that a portion of my profits goes to a local dog rescue group. They said the vet has to approve it. So left a flier and moved on to a pizza place. Of course person in charge of that decision wasn't there. Left a flier. Went on to an auto parts store. There the assistant manager and employee were quite friendly but they said more than likely it would have to get bumped up to corporate and that it wouldn't get approved. Left a flier and moved on to a hardware store (a chain but I've seen vending machines in others so thought it was a possibility). The guy there was the only one to outright turn me down and not even take a flier. Next to a restaurant where I was told it'd have to go through corporate. Then to another pizza place (this was second attempt at catching the person in charge) - was able to talk to the assistant manager this time but still not the person who gets to make the decision. At that point I was hot and tired and a little disheartened so called it a day. I'm proud of myself for going out and trying. And I'm hopeful maybe one or two will still come through. I didn't think locating would be this difficult. Seems like everyone needs approval from someone else or from corporate.

So, as of right now, I'm sitting in my living room with an army of machines staring at me and mocking me. :unsure:

I agree with Performa. You will get more no's than you get Yes'es, something you have to get used to. If you feel yourself getting to disheartened, to the point of losing your excitement for the business, try using a locator or two to get a couple of more machines out there, then go back to trying to self locate. This is a skill I believe everyone should have in this business, whether they always locate or use locators, but talking to people and being friendly are a must if you want to also keep your locations. Good Luck!

Update from a newbie:

Got first machine placed last week on Thursday. It went in a pizza place where I used to work part time. One other vending machine there - a two head older machine that doesn't get cleaned often. The store owner called today. Told me the machine was getting a good amount of use. That the kids really seemed to like the Runts. She also told me that she wished she knew how to get the other guy out of there without hurting his feelings. She liked my machine better...as did the other employees. :)

Went out and attempted locating today. Took fliers with me and hit a coffee shop/church (they are affiliated and attached). Talked to the person in charge but she said it was something the pastor would have to approve and that she'd pass on my information. Didn't seem very excited about it though. Then went to a vetrinarian's office. They were excited (front staff). I explained that a portion of my profits goes to a local dog rescue group. They said the vet has to approve it. So left a flier and moved on to a pizza place. Of course person in charge of that decision wasn't there. Left a flier. Went on to an auto parts store. There the assistant manager and employee were quite friendly but they said more than likely it would have to get bumped up to corporate and that it wouldn't get approved. Left a flier and moved on to a hardware store (a chain but I've seen vending machines in others so thought it was a possibility). The guy there was the only one to outright turn me down and not even take a flier. Next to a restaurant where I was told it'd have to go through corporate. Then to another pizza place (this was second attempt at catching the person in charge) - was able to talk to the assistant manager this time but still not the person who gets to make the decision. At that point I was hot and tired and a little disheartened so called it a day. I'm proud of myself for going out and trying. And I'm hopeful maybe one or two will still come through. I didn't think locating would be this difficult. Seems like everyone needs approval from someone else or from corporate.

So, as of right now, I'm sitting in my living room with an army of machines staring at me and mocking me. :unsure:

Hey I went out and didn't have any luck my first day. I think I might have picked up a double spot today though. Guy I got the sticker machine from had two empty vendstars wanted to have some kind of candy in the joint. I will hit him up next week again and see if I can place a double. Told me his partner in the business loves RP and MM's

Get a double ready and see what happens

Update from a newbie:

This sounds oddly familiar! Keep it up. You are gaining valuable experience. Do you see yourself changing your pitch ever so slightly each time? Mentioning a little more each time? Before you know it you will beat the odds and get some YES answers. Sometimes they come 2 or 3 at a time just like the NO answers do. ;D

Got one call back from my locating trip the other day. It was the church/coffee shop. She said they'd discussed it and decided they did not want a machine placed. They were at least nice about it. I am thinking of looking into Christian Tattoos/Stickers and repitching with that idea instead. Do you think they'd feel like I'm being too pushy?

Also, I've let all my friends know I will pay a $15 finders fee for anyone who finds me a location that allows me to place a machine. I've already had one lady say that she thinks her husband's office will allow one - she's going to get back with me tomorrow.

Will feel better when I get some of these placed and out of my living room. I have an army of machines. :D

Archived