Fuel Costs Stealing Your Profits?

We really need to address gas prices and how they are effecting our bottom line profits. Our biggest expenses right now are escalating fuel prices.

We should review some of the ways we can all save a few dollars on gas by starting a post listing some fuel saving ideas. Just remember service is the most important part of a successful vending business so lets come up with ways to save fuel dollars without compromising good service levels.

Lets work together to save fuel and grow profits.

Gary

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary

How to do one with the other! ;)

The easiest way to save fuel at least for the part timers is to do your service with other family duties. Grocery shopping, kids to games etc...

For busy part timers and full timers, look at your route and service it accordingly to it's need. That means get off of the monthly service for some locations and service it bi-monthly or even every 90 days. But don't drive by it just because its slow.

I pay $1.35 a litre cannot remember if 4 litres is slightly larger or less than a gallon but it means > $5.00 a gallon. My route is greater than 600 miles. I still make money but I also got to look at how I service the route and what products I put in each location to extend certain areas services. Of course Owen probably pays more for 'petrol'.

Gary

How to do one with the other! ;)

The easiest way to save fuel at least for the part timers is to do your service with other family duties. Grocery shopping, kids to games etc...

For busy part timers and full timers, look at your route and service it accordingly to it's need. That means get off of the monthly service for some locations and service it bi-monthly or even every 90 days. But don't drive by it just because its slow.

I pay $1.35 a litre cannot remember if 4 litres is slightly larger or less than a gallon but it means > $5.00 a gallon. My route is greater than 600 miles. I still make money but I also got to look at how I service the route and what products I put in each location to extend certain areas services. Of course Owen probably pays more for 'petrol'.

600 miles Grumps?  Wow!  How many locations do you service all together?

You're so right.  The expense of fuel is beginning to take a huge chunk out of our bottome lines.  Now, I find myself overbuying inventory each time I make purchases and storing more in my garage to cut down on the number of trips I make to the store.  I've also adjusted service dates on my accounts to reflect more accurately when I need to stock.  At one time, at least on the bulk candy side of my route, I'd collect money from my machines, note what products needed to be replenished then go buy what I needed and return a few days later to the locations to restock.  I know that was a little crazy and you'd think I enjoyed risking my life in Dallas traffic.  I definitely don't do that any more.  When I collect money from my candy machines, I have product with me.  I've always done it that way for my soda and snack route and can't imagine why I was so (fill in the blank) with my candy route.

Proper tire inflation is one way to add a few MPG they say. Look and see if you can set your route up to make as many right turns as possible. Would extending a pick up schedule from every four weeks to every five weeks compromise service. That would reduce your route pulls by two per year.

Good posts so far!

Here's a few more ideas.

Maintain you're vehicle properly, a tune-up can almost pay for itself in gas savings.

Replace your air filter with a clean free-flowing filter.

Cover pick-up truck beds with a cover, or "sport lid" to help eliminate drag.

Use the recommended grade of motor oil for your engine. (Around here this is ignored alot. My Equinox calls for 5W-30, but they will always put ther "house brand" 10W-30 in it unless I tell them I only want what the engine calls for.)

Drive sensibly. Seems easy enough, but is often overlooked. Avoid excess idling, watch the speed limit, and slow down.

Believe it or not a GPS Navigator can help some, by finding the shortest distances for certain routes.

Make a note of where the cheapest gas is along you're route and fill up there.

Happy driving!

Dave

WEll i dont know if its cause im young

but i love to bike ride. 

i bought myself a 55 dollar mountain bike, and i can do mike 60 mile radius route on my bike (20 locations)  in 1 or 2 days,

PROS-

MAkes me healthy

i get 100000 miles to the gallon(its free!!!!)  lol

fun to me........

Locationgs respect you

cons-

cant carry much candy ( besides with a backpark)

not as secure........who cares lol

idk i think biking is the way to go with this business, the day i sepnd 4.00 to service each machine like u guys, is the day i quit this

BIKE

Scooter!

Investment - $1,995

Registration - zero dollars (In Mass if under 50cc)

Storage - trunk and saddle bags hold enough for more than a few locations.

100 MPG - PRICELESS!

Steve

Steve. That's great!

I think Benjie and Steve are on to something. I think we will all be doing more bikes and motorcycles as the price on fuel climbs higher.

I sat down and went through my accounts and there are a handful that I can start doing every other month without loosing anything except gas money out of my bank account. They have enough product to last and I may start calling them in between service visits to check on product levels. I think if I explain to them that the cost of fuel is making it tougher to come ever month they will work with me. In the end I will collect the same amount of money and use 1/2 the gas and time. I wouldn't do this with the real busy accounts but we all have accounts that can last without us losing a single quarter of business.

I am thinking of giving them a letter like this.

Dear Valued Customer,

In an effort to save the environment and reduce our dependence on oil West Coast Vend will be testing an alternative service system in the next few months. We believe that if we all work together we can make a difference. Starting July 1, 2008 we will collect and refill your vending machines every 60 days. We will be calling you on the 30th day to check on product levels. With your cooperation we may be able to extend your service for 60 days.

Please remember that we would never jeopardize our level of service so again this is only a test and can be readjusted at any time if necessary.

The alternative service system could save us all up to 960 gallons of fuel per year.

Thank you for your continued support.

Gary

West Coast Vend, LLC.

Oh Man, this is a funny post. 

I ride my bike about 15 miles a day but I've never thought of servicing my route that way!  That's a pretty decent idea!

I also like the scooter idea.  I wonder if you can ride those on the sidewalks.  My guess is it would have to be electric powered to be on the sidewalk.  What a shame! 

Don't everyone use your candy route as an excuse to go buy a $2000 scooter though!

Regards,

Robert Patterson, President

http://www.kickstartlocations.com

I`ve always wanted to buy a scooter for deliveries in the summer.I cant find the proper  carrying box for the pizzas though.I need one that would keep the pizzas level at all times.

if anyone owns a truck,a cheaper alternative to buying a cover for the back is opening the tailgate.kinda hickish but works!!:):D

Antonio

If you look hard enough you will find a self leveling rack for a scotter, I had looked sometime ago (years) and found them. I believe they would be more popular in Europe with dense population and high fuel prices.

And whats wrong with being a hick?

I have been looking at scooters for about a year now.  You can pick them up pretty cheap, and if you get a decent one (honda), it will last for ever.  Benjie and Steve are right, maybe two wheels are better than 4. 

I've got it!  Check this out.  Just put this on the back of your scooter, and your golden!  http://www.scootertrailer.net/

I may be crazy, but it would be cool if you could attach an air conditioning unit to it and keep your candy from melting.

grumpy:I have tried to look for a self levelking rack but found nothing,do you remember the manufacturer you were going to buy from??

aint nothing wrong with being a hick!!just make sure the confederate flag doesnt impede you from grabin your shotgun real quick in case u need to pull over to shot a deer or a possum!!!

If we could track each vend electronically, via the internet. (I know that can be done), we could give the store the keys and they could send the money to us and take their cut. We could supple the envelops and stamps. When we need product we could send it UPS.

We could just stay in our house and not spend any money on gas. Maybe just to drive to the bank. Oh wait, I have on-line banking too.

Gary

If we could track each vend electronically, via the internet. (I know that can be done), we could give the store the keys and they could send the money to us and take their cut. We could supple the envelops and stamps. When we need product we could send it UPS.

We could just stay in our house and not spend any money on gas. Maybe just to drive to the bank. Oh wait, I have on-line banking too.

Gary

I don`t know if you are being serious or not,but by doing this how long till the location decides they can get thier own machine make all the money and cut out the middle man?