Attention Tapatalk users

caserri

I know in the past I've really pushed usage of the tapatalk app for visiting TVF on a mobile device. I use it myself everyday. It is a great app and I have no issues with functionality. In fact I'm using it for this post. It appears that the app has really taken off with the members here. We are regularly seeing 80-90% of those online using tapatalk. Sometimes I even see 100% using it.

There lies the problem. Tapatalk is great for viewing and using the forum, but only the forum. TVF has so many other great features that are not accessible via tapatalk. Therefore, 80-90% (sometimes 100%) of our members are not even seeing them, much less, using them. Features like status updates, gallery, blogs, classifieds, and downloads.

Because of this, I am "considering" eliminating the tapatalk app from the site. Trust me, I use this everyday and will probably miss it the most. However, my intention is to hopefully add more exposure to the other areas here on the site.

As an alternative, we have always offered the mobile version for those who wish to use it. If your mobile browser doesn't load the mobile version automatically, you can choose it by tapping the "use mobile version" at the bottom left of the site.

The native mobile version includes all of the features listed above plus your notification list which is also absent in tapatalk. (To my knowledge)

I don't expect everyone to use or appreciate every feature here but I spend a lot of time putting this place together and maintaining it. I would at least like to have these features available to you through your mobile device should they interest you.

I'm not sure when I'll eliminate this. I want to try and use, and get used to, the native mobile version myself before I cut the rope. I will update everyone beforehand.

I have never really cared for tapatalk myself. I think the mobile app is great. One thing I would like to see if possible is maybe an "m.vendiscuss.net" to be able to go right to the mobile version. It is kind of a pain to have to go to the mobile version in the netbook, then switch back for the desktop, then switch again for the ipad, etc, etc. If I could bookmark an "m.vendiscuss.net" on my small screens that do not automatically switch would make it better.

:P No tapatalk!!!! :rolleyes:

I have never really cared for tapatalk myself. I think the mobile app is great. One thing I would like to see if possible is maybe an "m.vendiscuss.net" to be able to go right to the mobile version. It is kind of a pain to have to go to the mobile version in the netbook, then switch back for the desktop, then switch again for the ipad, etc, etc. If I could bookmark an "m.vendiscuss.net" on my small screens that do not automatically switch would make it better.

:P No tapatalk!!!! :rolleyes:

Bill,

I think I may have found a solution to this for you. There is a section in the admin panel that allows me to set the default skin based on browser. I took a look at it and there is a specific section that controls what skin is auto-loaded for various mobile platforms. I'm willing to bet that the ipad settings are set to load the full site. I can't confirm that right now on my phone but Ill look at it later and make any necessary adjustments.

Edit -- Yes, ipad is set to display the full site. Unfortunately it is not a matter of clicking full or mobile. It appears I have to enter some kind if code. Ill investigate and change it once I understand what needs to be entered.

On my iPad now. The mobile site now auto loads whereas before the full site did. The only problem is that while I love the mobile site on my Android phone, I prefer the full site on my iPad, so now I need to hit the full site link every time on the iPad! Oh well, if Bill and others prefer mobile then I can live with hitting one button every time! Dave

Ooo, I'll have to check this out tonight. I agree that the ipad is big enough for the desktop version. This is why I had mentioned the "m." prefix. This way you can bookmark based on your preferences. For example:

http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

I did just check it on my Nexus 7 with Chrome and it loaded the desktop version. The 7 inch screen would be better with the mobile skin. Especially for us with old tired eyes :blink:. Looks like I will need to play around with the Nexus 7 and see why it didn't go over to the mobile. My HTC phone still switches (it always did).

On my Ipad I use 2 browsers. One with a desktop user agent and one with a mobile user agent.

Okay. so should we load the mobile version on the iPad or not?

As for the Nexus 7, I don't even know what that is but let me know if I should load the mobile version for that. it is listed in the settings so I can change that on my end.

I like the desktop version for the large iPad. Fr the mini I couldn't say. I would think the mobile would be better on a 7 inch tablet ( Nexus 7 is an android tablet). I'm not sure how you turn it on but it seems to be done by the user-agent. Chrome on the iPad with standard settings shows the mobile version (desktop on the nexus). With Dolphin set on desktop mode it shows the desktop version (duh!)

User-agent isn't the best way to switch. Did you see a m.vendiscuss.net option?

I wish I had problems like these. As it stands, I can barely keep all my machines working. This morning I thought I going to get the last one fixed. At least for a few hours I would be at maximum performance (at least the machines would be). On my way out the door I get a call from one of my accounts and someone has broken into a snack machine to steal probably $10 worth of change in the bucket. I had just serviced this machine two days earlier ( and as I recall also did some minor repairs on it) so they didn't get much. Cleaned up the mess, got the glass on order and went to my original destination to swap out a bill validator.

I do hope you guys can get your Apps, Tapatalks and ipads in order - I'm confident that this will work itself out.

Moondog

I'm confident that this will work itself out.

Unfortunately, just like your machines, it will not work itself out. If it did, there would be no reason for me to be here. Somebody has got to service and maintain the TVF machine too! :D

While we're at it, if anyone else has a device that the mobile version doesn't auto-load on and you feel it should, let me know. There's a long list of mobile platforms here but I don't know what any of them are. (except for android and iphone)

• 1 month later...

The forum automatically loads the mobile theme when accessing directly from a mobile browser on both an iPhone and iPad.

I would agree with the strong points you've outlined in the OP--the site offers a variety of (additional) valuable resources that are not accessible from Tapatalk, and it's worthwhile to highlight these and otherwise remind your users of what else the site offers.

However, if Tapatalk is a channel that is responsible for directing a significant portion of your users to the forum on any given day (you mention at times it represents 100% of users), why eliminate it completely? Especially if it is many users' preference.

Instead, perhaps it's worth reminding and directing users to visit these other areas and resources on the site by using links in new "promotional" threads (links in Tapatalk open in mobile safari by default).

Just an idea. Either way you go, the content here is strong and valuable. It just seems like a risky idea to remove the most popular channel of forum access completely.

Archived