Royal 660 problems

I have read something about this before but can't find it.

I have a 3rd party Royal 660 machine on location. Every time I go there it will not take coins. I unplug it and plug it back in and it works fine. I don't think its the machine. I had 1 of my own machines there first and it did the same thing. Since it is a apartment I ordered a 3rd party machine in case it gets damaged. The machine is outside in a cover area right next to the pool pump. I think the pool pump is causing power surges. It is plugged into a GFI plug. I thought about talking to the manager and see if their maintenance man could replace the plug. If I call Coke I know it will take probably a month to get somebody out there. Anybody have any ideas. I am only getting a few dollars out of this machine every couple of weeks and I think its because its not working except for a day or two after I leave.

You have probably correctly diagnosed the problem. Sharing power with a pool pump is not a good idea. You also have no idea of the quality of the wiring or whether it's properly grounded. You likely have spikes in the line or brownouts (low voltage) occuring that lock up the board in the Royal. You should not have a compressor on a GFI if at all possible, though it sounds like it is not tripping (lucky). What you really need here is to isolate your machine from the pump circuit by putting in a seperate circuit. Logic boards don't like fluctuating voltages.

You have probably correctly diagnosed the problem. Sharing power with a pool pump is not a good idea. You also have no idea of the quality of the wiring or whether it's properly grounded. You likely have spikes in the line or brownouts (low voltage) occuring that lock up the board in the Royal. You should not have a compressor on a GFI if at all possible, though it sounds like it is not tripping (lucky). What you really need here is to isolate your machine from the pump circuit by putting in a seperate circuit. Logic boards don't like fluctuating voltages.

Unfortunately, GFCI outlets are required by the National Electric Code and virtually all local building departments for exterior outlets. My family was in Electrical Contracting for 40 years so I can tell you from experience that GFCI outlets are notoriously finicky but we're stuck with them.

That said, a GFCI circuit breaker installed in the sub panel is much more reliable (although not perfect). The pool pump should be on it's own dedicated circuit, as should anything with a motor or heating element. For that matter, Soda machines technically should also be on dedicated circuits.

The downside is that when we place a machine, we're pretty much stuck with the given situation unless we're prepared to do provide an upgraded power supply - not an option for most vendors. Understanding these issues upfront should be a priority for anyone attempting to place a machine.

Archived