Battery replacement on a board

donut

I have a Royal g3 804 coke machine. This machine has the g3 board with the red button on the lower left hand corner.

A bit over a month or so ago, the place where I have my machine moved it over a bit... when they did so, they unplugged the machine for a minute. When I checked the machine a few days later, I found all y programming had been lost... After a bit of research, I find out that according to the Royal manual, the board has a lithium battery on it. I looked on the board, looking for something like a watch battery , but didn't see anything... I called Royal who said that I shouldn't change the battery out because it will "change the thermostat settings" and they recommended I get a replacement board (at a cost of around $350)

Kinda sounds goofy to me.... Replace the board? For a battery???

Anyone else ever have this issue?

I have a Royal g3 804 coke machine. This machine has the g3 board with the red button on the lower left hand corner.

A bit over a month or so ago, the place where I have my machine moved it over a bit... when they did so, they unplugged the machine for a minute. When I checked the machine a few days later, I found all y programming had been lost... After a bit of research, I find out that according to the Royal manual, the board has a lithium battery on it. I looked on the board, looking for something like a watch battery , but didn't see anything... I called Royal who said that I shouldn't change the battery out because it will "change the thermostat settings" and they recommended I get a replacement board (at a cost of around $350)

Kinda sounds goofy to me.... Replace the board? For a battery???

Anyone else ever have this issue?

It would be cheaper to reprogram the machine and run it off a computer APS if you can find one big enough to handle the compressor.

I thought of that, being frugal and all :)

Was hoping someone would tell me royal was just trying to make a buck and then tell me where this stupid battery is at and that it wond hurt a thing......

I thought of that, being frugal and all :)

Was hoping someone would tell me royal was just trying to make a buck and then tell me where this stupid battery is at and that it wond hurt a thing......

On page 21 of my manual, it describes in detail how to reset the temperature. You sure you didn't get directed to the janitor over at Royal?

Check page 51 and see if that's not a battery at the bottom of the EVS control board (it's not marked)

The guy I talked to said it would throw the t-stat adjustment off.....

I looked at all the pics but nothing looked like a battery...

Maybe I'll go look at the board again tomorrow...

The Royal tech is not properly explaining the reason you would need the board replaced. Most newer boards use a soldered on battery that looks like a solid state device similar in size to a microchip, but quite a bit taller. These are not user replaceable and could be hard to find. Perhaps Fry's Electronics or a semiconductor shop would have it. When those types of batteries fail they have to be soldered in and out. In addition, the charging circuit on the board may have failed. I can exchange the board for you for $149 if you would like. It's a lot cheaper than an outright purchase from a Royal distributor (you can't order direct from Royal).

I'll probably take you up on that option AZVendor... However, it's gonna be sometime next month.... I just spent $275 on having 5 coin mechs refurbished, so my repair account is running low...

Archived