AP - LCM4

Big Mike

There is a location that called me wanting service for their machine. I have known about the location and machine for awhile. I was considering buying out the vendor that was servicing it several years ago. Anyway the machine quit cooling and the current vendor has been slowly getting out of the business and cut ties with them when the machine quit cooling. I am considering taking this location. Iss this machine worth investing some money into? The location would sign it over to me.

Mike

There is a location that called me wanting service for their machine. I have known about the location and machine for awhile. I was considering buying out the vendor that was servicing it several years ago. Anyway the machine quit cooling and the current vendor has been slowly getting out of the business and cut ties with them when the machine quit cooling. I am considering taking this location. Iss this machine worth investing some money into? The location would sign it over to me.

Mike

I would, a vendor down here had 1 on location for sale for 4500.

John

The AP LCM4 is a great machine. If it isn't cooling there could be a variety of reasons, the most expensive of which is a bad compressor. Here are things to check for and other possible causes:

Check the vent screen under the front of the cooling unit for a clogged screen.

Is the machine up against the wall with no airflow?

If the screen is missing, the condenser could be clogged with dirt.

If the compressor runs, can you hear the fan running in the cabinet? If not there may be a can laying on the fan blade causing the evaporator to freeze. Pull the front door off to gain access to the evaporator and to retrieve any loose cans.

Might be a bad thermostat; try turning it off to see if you hear a click at OFF and another click as you turn it back on.

Might be a bad defrost thermostat. In the hole next to the cold control is the defrost thermostat. There may be a plug in the hole. Turn the defrost dial clockwise a small amount with a screwdriver to see if the cooling unit comes on. If so then the defrost themostat is bad.

You might be low on freon if the compressor runs fine, airflow is good but it's not cooling. If the evaporator is frozen, it must be defrosted before the unit can be recharged.

If the compressor clicks on and then off without starting, or you can hear the fans slow down then speed back up as though something is dragging the voltage down then you probably have a bad compressor. If the compressor is bad the condenser fan will be running as it's in the compressor circuit.

If you have to replace the compressor, you will have to empty and remove the can unit from the machine. Set all can prices to zero and vend them over and over to empty the columns. Then you pull the can unit out. To actually replace the compressor, the top can module has to come off the compressor base.

Let us know what you find with this.

Mike

If you had to have a combo machine, this one would be high on the list of those to consider. The location can sign the account over to you but probably has no ownership rights to the machine.

Most Full Line vendors don't want combo machine only accounts as they won't make much money usually. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, there's probably a hundred threads in the Full Line forum that deal with this issue in detail.

Mike

Even in the worst case scenario of replacing the compressor this is still a good deal, go for it.

The machine does belong to the location. The figured out quick that they didnt want to service it. They have just had vendors service the machine over the years. They are just willing to give it to me if I fix it. Thanks for all the tips AZ. I will let everyone know how it goes. Good thing is that it is already empty. Just need to Google a operation manuel.

Mike

Archived