Account Question

All,

I've started my journey home back from Afghanistan and have had a lot of downtime so I've been reading through the forum and I've gained a lot of useful information. I appreciate all of the feedback.

I wanted to float this idea in the forum.

I will be retiring from the military in the next 90 days and the Federal Goverment offers several tax credits for hiring veterans. Do you think it would be possible for a small business to hire a veteran as a vending operator with little pay and no benefits.

I researched the category I would be in if I was hired and the company would receive a $4800 tax credit for hiring me. Do you think a small business owner would even think of doing something like this? Am I way out in left field here? Should I even ask? If I buy this vending route I wouldn't be trying to expand it anytime soon but this might help to keep the accounts I currently have if it's possible.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

In the spirit of this tax credit, I believe that you'd need to be a full time employee - something you're not going to have time to do if you purchase this vending route. There a very specific guidelines as to what constitutes an employee and I doubt that you'd find any business owner willing to skirt this to get a tax credit - the downside which could be pretty stiff.

I agree with Moondog. It sounds like you would ask a vending location to consider you an employee but not acutally employ you so they could get the tax credit, with the tax credit being the incentive for them to keep your machines in the location. That is not how the credit works and not how either business works. You, as a business owner, want to operate at arms length from your accounts. The only relationship, aside from friendships you might develop, you will have with your accounts is a business relationship. Don't get yourself thrown in jail as soon as you return! ;D

Archived