Mars coin mech issue

Any ideas why a coin mech would kick out three dimes and a nickel in change for a 65 cent item instead of a quarter and a dime? It is a mars mech attached to a coinco ba30b validator in a dn501. Sorry, can't tell the mars model, but the plug has two rows of 4 flat blades and one round prong in between the rows of flat blades. It will manually kick out a quarter and it will return a quarter if you put on in and hit the coin return. But won't kick out a quarter as change for a dollar once you vend a soda.

Thanks! And yes I know, gotta get that up to .75.

This is a common coin payout combination that you will see from time to time. The machine logic board has an algorithm it uses to determine coin payout combinations in an attempt to keep the coin tubes level.  It doesn't mean you have any problems with the machine unless it runs out of dimes or nickles after starting from full tubes.

My guess is that the coin mech is sensing it is out of qtrs. Therefore the alternate payout would be 3 dimes and a nickel. When you insert a qtr, it knows it now has a qtr in inventory and can therefore return it. If the qtr tube is full, you probably have bad sensor in tube.

CV, that sounds like a possibility. It nearly ran itself out of nickels and dimes the other day so I don't think it is a logic circuit unless it is a faulty logic circuit. Is the sensor fixable/cleanable? Location? Thanks!

There is not a way to service the tube sensors without possible damage to the sensors or the payout tube assy. As I mentioned before, unless the machine is never paying out quarters when it should, you'll only find this to be an intermittent thing as the machine intentionally does this to keep the coin tubes level- it's a function of the machine. If you find this happening all the time, then a replacement mech is needed. I can exchange the coin mech with you for $85 plus shipping if needed. Let me know how it works out.

Whiteroom, if it was the reverse condition, I would say you could clean it. The way it is acting now though, I think you should have it repaired. Do you have a spare 110V mech to swap it out for repair. You may look for a sore if not.

I just reread your first post describing your coin mech plug and I now realize you have a single price coinmech, so disregard the stuff I said about the machine monitoring the coin levels. That information is for a multi-price machine. Because it's single price, your problem will require a rebuilt coin mech. Let me know if I can help you out with one.

Archived