Refurbishing project question

davco1

What is the best way to go about removing old paint and heavy corrosion from a stand?

I was able to buy some old really corroded stands really cheap and now the work begins.

I was thinking maybe renting a sand blaster from Home Depot.

There are 3 basic ways to tackle heavy rust & corrosion: chemical stripper, coarse sanding on a DA, and sand/media blaster. I usually don't use the blaster unless it's heavily rusted & pitted, even then I sand as much as I can first. They each have their pros & cons. There's a lot of variables. Post a pic of what you've got. You are gonna need to get a good primer before you start though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Once you get it stripped down - apply some petroleum jelly and let it sit for a few days.  This is a good way to kill the rust - otherwise it may start cropping back out in a few months.

There is actually a 4th way.  You can use reverse electrolysis to cook the rust off.  Not sure what type of stand you have but it can be done to a pipe stand. I have used this method before.  Basically water and salt will turn metal into iron oxide or rust.  You use the same ingredients to take the rust off. You just reverse the electrical charge through a battery charger by hooking it up backwards.  Do a Google search if interested and you should find all kinds of ideas on how to fit your need.

I learned this hunting for Civil War relics years ago with my metal detectors.  Cleaned up a lot of nice artifacts this way.

Archived