Thumbs up/down on this small bulk route?

Rick

Usually, I have a good bead on route values, but I'm having a tough time with this one.  

The Details:

Five locations with seven machines located grossing approximately $240/month.  All machines are Northwestern TriplePlay.  Included in the deal are 8 more TriplePlays he states are "part machines" because the coin mechs are shot. 

These are charity locations and the seller donates $300/annually to a local charity.  Seller also made a point of saying the vend amounts should be adjusted due to rising candy costs and he hasn't adjusted them for years - which has led to lower earnings.  

He was originally asking $900 for all, but I talked him down to $570 (which he has tentatively accepted).  Assuming 50% net, his accepted price would put my ROI at 4.75 months, but here's the catch.  Seller stated three of the locations earn practically all of the route's gross and the best location grosses more than the other four combined. (So, the best location earns $120+ of the route's $240/month gross).  

I can't decide if having $120+/month location is a good thing or a bad thing - what if I'm immediately booted from that loc?  The flip side of that coin though, is that if this guy has a couple of triples grossing $120/month, how much implied profit could be up for grabs if I could convince the location to upgrade to a 5-7way rack?!

What say you?

Bonus question:  I've never owned a Triple Play in my life.  I know they're a solid machine from what I've read (on par with 1-800's), but any Triple Play owners out there willing to educate me on how much I'd pay for a coin mech and are they easy to find?  Thanks!

The Triple Play's are good machines.  They're not my favorite, but this seems to be a good deal at $570 for all of them.  I wouldn't be too concerned about only a few of the locations earning most of the money because it sounds like there's room for improvement.  I was thinking the same thing about those good locations, of upgrading to larger set-ups, or even a second triple.  The mechs are most likely not going to be cheap to obtain, but the Northwestern Triple Plays hold up for years, so it'll be worth the investment.  I like the idea of less competitors, so at $570 to put a competitor out of business, it's worth it!

The Northwestern Triple machines should fetch you $100 a piece if they are in good shape.  So if there are 7 on locations and 8 spares, even with a few missing parts it is worth it.  Chances are, the mech's just need taken apart and cleaned and lubed.  Most often they may need a few burrs filed off or maybe a coin wheel or spring.  Wheels and mechs are the same as Super 60's or PN95's.  The chutes are different but cheap from NW. Chute doors are the same.  I have some of these on the route and are tanks.  I would go for this deal.

Archived