What is the fastest, most efficient and reliable bulk candy machine?

entrepreneur90

Can anyone here please tell me what the fastest, most efficient and reliable bulk candy (gumball) vending machine to use is? I'm going to buy new machines (probably all singles) and speediness and reliability is of the absolute up most importance to me. What type of gumball machine should I get and can anyone tell me where I can get these? Because I need them all keyed the same (due to time efficiency) I'm not looking to buy them off Craigslist (a few here, a few there) because they won't be all keyed the same way that way.

What are your goals?

Knowing your goals can help experienced vendors know how to advise you.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat" and there are likely multiple ways to get where you want to go.

Before you go any further though, if you have not already read this, PLEASE DO SO:

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/12377-the-ultimate-bulk-vending-beginners-mega-thread/

Read ALL of the info on the link above BEFORE posting another post.

The info at the link is going to address many of your questions.

Is it a lot of info? YES.

Will it take you a few days to get through it all? Probably.

But, bulk vending is not a get-rich-quick industry.

If you won't/can't invest a few days on the front end in order to learn what you need to know, then you are not starting off on the right foot.

If efficiency is your goal, singles are probably the worst machines you can buy. You drive 10 or 20 minutes to each location, spend 5 minutes servicing the thing, and collect maybe $10-$15. Let's say $15 (the few single heads I have average $15 per 60 day cycle). You've got about half an hour into whole service cycle to collect $15. That's only $30 per hour, and it's only every 60 days. And remember, that's gross; you haven't paid for sales tax, charity costs, or cost of goods.

Let's try the same scenario with an 8 way rack. My 8 way racks average about $140 per month each. So I drive the same 20 minutes, spend 20 minutes servicing the rack, and collect $140. That's $210 per hour of my time, and I'm getting that cash flow every month.

This is the primary reason I'm focusing more on replacing singles, doubles, and triples with racks. As I'm getting older and my family gets bigger, I'm finding that my time is getting more and more valuable.

If efficiency is your goal, singles are probably the worst machines you can buy. You drive 10 or 20 minutes to each location, spend 5 minutes servicing the thing, and collect maybe $10-$15. Let's say $15 (the few single heads I have average $15 per 60 day cycle). You've got about half an hour into whole service cycle to collect $15. That's only $30 per hour, and it's only every 60 days. And remember, that's gross; you haven't paid for sales tax, charity costs, or cost of goods.

Let's try the same scenario with an 8 way rack. My 8 way racks average about $140 per month each. So I drive the same 20 minutes, spend 20 minutes servicing the rack, and collect $140. That's $210 per hour of my time, and I'm getting that cash flow every month.

This is the primary reason I'm focusing more on replacing singles, doubles, and triples with racks. As I'm getting older and my family gets bigger, I'm finding that my time is getting more and more valuable.

I agree 100%.

But, what if the OP's goals are to support a charity?

Or he/she plans to carry only 1 or 2 products?

Or he/she is only able/willing to use a 2-door car for vending?

Any one of these factors would make racks near impossible.

Even though your suggestion is GREAT, it's hard to recommend anything without knowing something of the person asking the questions.

This is one reason I think the OP needs to share his/her goals.

Now...about your 8-way racks...20min's to service?  Really?!

Why am I so dang slow at servicing my racks?

There's no way I could ever service my 8-ways in 20minutes! 

They take me at least 30min to service.

Thanks for making me feel old. :angry:

I agree 100%.

But, what if the OP's goals are to support a charity?

Or he/she plans to carry only 1 or 2 products?

Or he/she is only able/willing to use a 2-door car for vending?

Any one of these factors would make racks near impossible.

Even though your suggestion is GREAT, it's hard to recommend anything without knowing something of the person asking the questions.

This is one reason I think the OP needs to share his/her goals.

Now...about your 8-way racks...20min's to service?  Really?!

Why am I so dang slow at servicing my racks?

There's no way I could ever service my 8-ways in 20minutes! 

They take me at least 30min to service.

Thanks for making me feel old. :angry:

I agree. I have a 2 door car and it would be impossible to drop off racks without borrowing a truck from family. However I am in the same process of fading out of growing my candy route and focusing on growing my rack locations (Mainly 5 ways). I love collecting from one location and pulling out 150 bucks or so. It is just more efficient for me as well.

However I must agree with Sherlock on the time thing as well. I know 20 minutes was probably just a quick random number thrown out but in reality a 7 way rack would take close to 30 to 35 minutes after you refill it, wipe it down, collect the cash and pay the commission.

I service all my machines with a Toyota Corolla. It happens to be a 4 door, but I could do it with a 2 door. The interior volume is the same, you just have the hassle of moving the front seat out of the way to get big stuff in and out of the back seat. I put almost everything in the trunk. I will admit that I borrow my father's F150 when I need to move something big like a rack, but that's not very often. Once a rack goes in, it stays there for a long time.

I think the big difference between myself and other people posting on here is that I never count or pay on site. I guess my locations just trust me enough to allow me to count off site and mail them a check. I usually collect on the weekends when the owners aren't around, so it works well for everyone.

And yes, 20 minutes was a quick guess. Maybe it's closer to 25. I don't know for sure, I've never timed it exactly, but I know it's definitely under 30 minutes. I have to move quickly when I service machines. Most of my locations open at 11:00 on Saturdays (when I service most of my route) and I always try to be home by 5:00 to eat dinner with the family. That gives me 6 hours to drive all over the place and service a ton of machines, clean them, repair if necessary, restock them, collect the money, and get back home. Most of my machines are in a city 40 minutes from home. So out of that 6 hours I'm losing almost an hour of driving time just getting to where most of my machines are and another 40 minutes going back home. In the 4.5 hours of productive time I have left I usually manage to hit 10-12 locations before I head back home.

Equipment makes a huge difference, too. That's why I love the A&A flat machines and the 1800 triples. The A&A flat machines just have one big coin tray for every two columns. I pull it out, dump it in the bag, restock if needed, and put the front back on. 30 seconds per 2 columns if you don't need to restock. The 1800 triples also have a single coin tray for all three heads. You unscrew the cover on the back, and dump the tray in your bag; put it back together. Because the locks screw in and out, it takes a little more time. It takes about a minute to do 1800 if you don't need to restock. Then you just add in time for general cleaning and whatever stocking you need to do.

I'm finding that I dislike the Northwestern 1" machines because the base remains attached to the rack and you have to scoop the coins out by hand. The Oaks and A&As are much nicer, you pull the head off, grab the body and dump the coins in your bag. Check the coin mechs for coin jam ups (they always seem to have 2 or 3 quarters lodged in them), then put it back together. I dislike 2" product, but I like the way the machines work. Unscrew the lock on the front, pull out the coin tray and dump it. Put it back in and screw the fron lock back in. Very quick and easy. Restocking them is another story entirely!

Can anyone here please tell me what the fastest, most efficient and reliable bulk candy (gumball) vending machine to use is? I'm going to buy new machines (probably all singles) and speediness and reliability is of the absolute up most importance to me. What type of gumball machine should I get and can anyone tell me where I can get these? Because I need them all keyed the same (due to time efficiency) I'm not looking to buy them off Craigslist (a few here, a few there) because they won't be all keyed the same way that way.

If this is the way you want to go than AA panel style will be the best way to go. Good quality, best price, best turn around.

If this is the way you want to go than AA panel style will be the best way to go. Good quality, best price, best turn around.

Just curious Hav is the po89 or pn95 better? I was talking to my AA rep and they are only about 3 dollars apart from each other. So Far I only have eagle and Oak panel heads so I am curious which AA machine is better? And are panels better then globes? Panels seem nice for easy replacement,

Just curious Hav is the po89 or pn95 better? I was talking to my AA rep and they are only about 3 dollars apart from each other. So Far I only have eagle and Oak panel heads so I am curious which AA machine is better? And are panels better then globes? Panels seem nice for easy replacement,

Panel head, panel head, panel head!! Po89 or PM Supreme is the way to go. You can fit more on a rack, easier to change glass, and in my opinion look nicer. Also the PN95 has a plastic shoot and can be pushed back into the machine leaving the quarters exposed. This has not happened to be personally but I have seen a machine in a laundromat where this happened.

My favorite machines for value are AA PO 89 (get new from AA Global) and Oak (get new from Oak).  I use the 450 globe, but only because it's been the only style I can find locally.  The 450 globe is large, but is good for those $20+/head locations or if you're only planning on servicing on a 60 day cycle.  If monthly, in a standard location, the 300 globe is totally sufficient.  These machines cost around $50 per head without the stand.  I would suggest buying stands as well; you can get them from either AA Global or Oak.

Panel head, panel head, panel head!! Po89 or PM Supreme is the way to go. You can fit more on a rack, easier to change glass, and in my opinion look nicer. Also the PN95 has a plastic shoot and can be pushed back into the machine leaving the quarters exposed. This has not happened to be personally but I have seen a machine in a laundromat where this happened.

I agree Nick we use the pm supreme also. It has a good fit to the body and holds the right amount of product for a .50 toy or candy vends. The upgrade mech is very good I would say the best we use.

OK Thanks for your feedback regarding my question. Do any of you know of a company that sells USED A&A P.O. 89 or Supreme machines?

Honestly your better off buying new direct. You would need to buy one or two here and there for used. You can pick your color also

Ext 316.

I have a single head Northwestern, I really like it as it is very high quality and was easy to figure out.

Not a bad machine but costly and they hold too much product for what he wants.

Thanks for the phone number for contact Havending. Should I also buy the stands for the machines at the same place too?

What I plan on doing is getting as many of these small gumball machines out as I can inside of a small area (probably per zip code) and then maybe servicing them once every 3 to 6 weeks......... Does this make for a good business model?

OK Thanks for your feedback regarding my question. Do any of you know of a company that sells USED A&A P.O. 89 or Supreme machines?

Try CoinOpman, he usually has a pretty good selection of used A&A stuff. I've only purchased A&A flat machines from him, but he's probably got some 89s he'd sell you.

For what you are doing I would also go with a A&A po89 panel head or a Oak vista panel head, last time I checked Oak was a few cents cheaper and its the original machine, AA is a knock off, not a bad knock off but there are some differences. A significant difference is the clips that hold the plastic panels in on the Oak are heat treated spring steel that hold well, on the A&A they are very soft weak metal that wont hold anything so you have a real risk of spilling product because the panels may slide.

Get stands from metalcraft industries but you need to order 100 at a time.

BTW, not to start an argument with anyone but everyone I know that has a really large successful charity route uses singles and once in awhile a double at a really good location. Stay away from triples.

Good luck.

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful info................How long does it take to service an A&A Global Po89? I'm thinking I can do it inside of 1 minute tops. Is that about right?

To do it right, 3 minutes approximately.  Unlock, refill, remove quarters, place machine back onto base, lock, clean.  It's not that you should "take your time," but always check to make sure everything is correct before you leave.  Make sure it's clean (including the stand) and turn the mech to insure that it is moving correctly with the wheel.  You don't want to rush it because you're bound to make a mistake with something.

Thanks for the phone number for contact Havending. Should I also buy the stands for the machines at the same place too?

What I plan on doing is getting as many of these small gumball machines out as I can inside of a small area (probably per zip code) and then maybe servicing them once every 3 to 6 weeks......... Does this make for a good business model?

It's cost effective to order at one place to save on shipping and yes they have them.

Archived