I WANT EVERYONE TO CHECK OUT BobTHJ'S POST TITLED "A Tale Of 50 Snack Honor Boxes" THIS IS PROOF OF MY FIRST POST TO "HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING."

Hello all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. I'm not in the vending business anymore but I used to be. I was the owner of an honor snack box business that basically collapsed on me and in the end caused me a whole lot of wasted money, time, effort and basically a whole lot of heartache. I'm the one who posted "HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING" where I basically discussed how (through my own experience) the honor box business DOESN'T WORK and exactly why you should stay far, far away from it. During the course of that post, a TVF member (BobTHJ) posted repeatedly that what I had seen for myself in that business, through my OWN EXPERIENCE, was somehow wrong. 

When I posted "HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING" I said that the honor box business is like building a sand castle on a beach. At first what you have looks impressive, but over time it diminishes into a pile of mush. Therefore, I'd like everyone to take a look at BobTHJ's post "A Tale Of 50 Honor Boxes." If you'll notice, he started out in February with 50 new accounts. By April, WHICH WAS ONLY 2 MONTHS LATER, he was already down to 37 accounts. That in itself should be alarming because THAT'S ALREADY 26% OF HIS BUSINESS THAT'S GONE, but I won't just stop there. If you look at his overall theft percentage rate you'll see it start at 27.4% in February and only 2 months later it has already climbed to 36.1%. That's almost 10 percent that it has gone up in just that short amount of time.That is exactly what I saw with my own honor box business. As with the honor box system, you have a great avalanche effect of more and more people stealing from you that forces you eventually to call it quits.

I noticed something else in BobTHJ's post that I also thought was quite interesting - February through April he was posting every month. Then one of the members (Joester) starts questioning BobTHJ about the credibility of the honor box business as he sees (through BobTHJ's stats) that the business is collapsing. WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT??? How come BobTHJ just quit posting altogether? :huh:?? Before his numbers start to show real collapse he was posting every month. It's been 4 months and how come BobTHJ hasn't posted any more after that?? I'd be wiling to bet everything I own that the real truth (beyond what BobTHJ might claim to try and save face) is that his business since then has collapsed to the point of virtual mush. Any person with any common sense can simply look at BobTHJ's stats there and conclude that for themself.

One other thing I'm going to say here is that BobTHJ mentioned that he bought his boxes from Dennis (Slack) (www.vending-business-information.com) Dennis claims on his website that this is "a good, solid business." The honor box business IS NOT a good solid business as my own experience has taught me as well as you can see that through reading the post "A Tale Of 50 Honor Boxes." 

Hello all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. I'm not in the vending business anymore but I used to be. I was the owner of an honor snack box business that basically collapsed on me and in the end caused me a whole lot of wasted money, time, effort and basically a whole lot of heartache. I'm the one who posted "HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING" where I basically discussed how (through my own experience) the honor box business DOESN'T WORK and exactly why you should stay far, far away from it. During the course of that post, a TVF member (BobTHJ) posted repeatedly that what I had seen for myself in that business, through my OWN EXPERIENCE, was somehow wrong. 

When I posted "HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING" I said that the honor box business is like building a sand castle on a beach. At first what you have looks impressive, but over time it diminishes into a pile of mush. Therefore, I'd like everyone to take a look at BobTHJ's post "A Tale Of 50 Honor Boxes." If you'll notice, he started out in February with 50 new accounts. By April, WHICH WAS ONLY 2 MONTHS LATER, he was already down to 37 accounts. That in itself should be alarming because THAT'S ALREADY 26% OF HIS BUSINESS THAT'S GONE, but I won't just stop there. If you look at his overall theft percentage rate you'll see it start at 27.4% in February and only 2 months later it has already climbed to 36.1%. That's almost 10 percent that it has gone up in just that short amount of time.That is exactly what I saw with my own honor box business. As with the honor box system, you have a great avalanche effect of more and more people stealing from you that forces you eventually to call it quits.

I noticed something else in BobTHJ's post that I also thought was quite interesting - February through April he was posting every month. Then one of the members (Joester) starts questioning BobTHJ about the credibility of the honor box business as he sees (through BobTHJ's stats) that the business is collapsing. WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT??? How come BobTHJ just quit posting altogether? :huh:?? Before his numbers start to show real collapse he was posting every month. It's been 4 months and how come BobTHJ hasn't posted any more after that?? I'd be wiling to bet everything I own that the real truth (beyond what BobTHJ might claim to try and save face) is that his business since then has collapsed to the point of virtual mush. Any person with any common sense can simply look at BobTHJ's stats there and conclude that for themself.

One other thing I'm going to say here is that BobTHJ mentioned that he bought his boxes from Dennis (Slack) (www.vending-business-information.com) Dennis claims on his website that this is "a good, solid business." The honor box business IS NOT a good solid business as my own experience has taught me as well as you can see that through reading the post "A Tale Of 50 Honor Boxes." 

There must be thousands of people across the country that run honor boxes, we have a few of them here and from those few we have a couple that say it works for them and a couple that have not had success with the business model. So from a very limited sampling of honor box operators we have both good and bad results.

In particular your results and experiences do not mean that the honor box business does not work, it only means that it did not work for you.

Wow, so your saying since you and the other guy you are rambling about didn't so very well. It must be the honor box business that's bad and not you?

You know what? I don't like eggs, so therefore eggs are bad for everyone and no one should try them. They should stop selling them in stores because I don't like them.

LOL, thanks for the PM and writing about me. I'm sorry I've been lax in making updates for the past few months - I started a second business and I've been busy.

And because it's the next assumption you might jump to: no I didn't start a second business because my honor box business collapsed. I still operate about 200 honor boxes in addition to a number of bulk and full line vending locations. I now farm out a large chunk of the work for my vending business to local teens and college students.

I can honestly say I haven't tracked well for the past few months as to how those 50 boxes are doing now. I know I lost or pulled a few more accounts - a wild guess: I have 25-30 of those 50 left. However, at this point I've weeded out the bad accounts (high theft or low purchase rate) so the remaining ones are earning me steady income. After COGS and tax, $1.50 to the high-school student that counts money and repacks, and 10% to the college student who delivers it - and I'm walking away with $5-10 per box per month in my pocket.

Once I get a handle on my new business I'll probably call Joseph back and have him place some more boxes for me. I'll have to go through another round of weeding out the loser accounts but that's not too difficult.

If I get the time I'll post exact numbers - no guarantees though, things are hectic right now.

LOL, thanks for the PM and writing about me. I'm sorry I've been lax in making updates for the past few months - I started a second business and I've been busy.

And because it's the next assumption you might jump to: no I didn't start a second business because my honor box business collapsed. I still operate about 200 honor boxes in addition to a number of bulk and full line vending locations. I now farm out a large chunk of the work for my vending business to local teens and college students.

I can honestly say I haven't tracked well for the past few months as to how those 50 boxes are doing now. I know I lost or pulled a few more accounts - a wild guess: I have 25-30 of those 50 left. However, at this point I've weeded out the bad accounts (high theft or low purchase rate) so the remaining ones are earning me steady income. After COGS and tax, $1.50 to the high-school student that counts money and repacks, and 10% to the college student who delivers it - and I'm walking away with $5-10 per box per month in my pocket.

Once I get a handle on my new business I'll probably call Joseph back and have him place some more boxes for me. I'll have to go through another round of weeding out the loser accounts but that's not too difficult.

If I get the time I'll post exact numbers - no guarantees though, things are hectic right now.

Thanks for the update Bob and we appreciate your responding to such a negative attitude in a positive and professional manner.

OK hold up a sec there BobTHJ and the rest of you who are sucking up to this guy and congratulating him for producing absolutely nothing. Before we get carried away and elect this guy as the next president of the United States, let's all do some very simple math here, SHALL WE?

Now BobTHJ, your locator fee totaled $2,650.00. Now I don't know your numbers between when you started and up to this point (you quit posting them) but I think there's some things we can tell right away.........

The first thing that jumps right out at you is that you said you have between 25-30 accounts left out of the 50 accounts that you started with. So that's basically half of your business that's gone right there and it's ONLY BEEN 6 MONTHS since you started. 

Now because I don't know how much total net profit you've made (as well as you don't even know that for yourself) I can only guess here. Therefore I'm going to be considerate and say you've made $1,500.00 total net profit and I think that's far more than fair to give you that (though it's probably a good bit less.) You also stated that you make between $5 to $10 net profit per box per month. So let's just say for all in intent and purpose it's $7.50 that you make per box per month.Now if you multiply the number of accounts that you have remaining (let's say 27) by $7.50 it gives you $202.50. That is $202.50 per month total that you're making CURRENTLY. With the locator fees minus the estimated amount of profit you have made thus far it comes to $1,100 JUST TO BREAK EVEN. $1,100 divided by $202.50 is approximately 5 more months just to break even ACCORDING TO THE CURRENT STATUS OF YOUR BUSINESS. 

However, like I pointed out, it's ONLY been 6 months and already you've lost half of your business. The current trajectory for your loss of accounts will continue. As each particular working environment where you have your boxes are located in change (and they always change) you will be pulling more and more accounts. I think you're already getting to the point where your net profit is basically minuscule (ONLY $202.50 per month) and you haven't even broken even yet.

My main point therefore is AFTER WHAT POINT AFTER DOING ALL OF THIS WORK ARE YOU THEN ABLE TO PAY YOURSELF FOR ALL OF THE WORK YOU'VE ALREADY DONE?:huh:??? What about the wear and tear on your car and all the gas it eats up and all the other expenses that you haven't listed??? On that note, I really like how you very liberally express all of the high marks of this business but yet very subtly gloss over very important low marks of your business also. You claimed that you "give $1.50 to the high school student who counts money and repacks." YOU AREN'T PAYING THAT GUY ONLY $1.50 TO DO WORK FOR YOU. IF YOU DID IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW AND YOU WOULD BE GOING TO JAIL FOR IT. I think you're paying him $1.50 PER BOX, BUT YOU AREN'T PAYING HIM ONLY $1.50

Anyway, any of the rest of you who are considering going into this business need to read between the lines here. This is NOT a "good solid business" as Dennis Slack and the rest of these people claim that it is. It is true that many vending operators around the country use honor boxes but they can only use them in select few locations for any decent amount of time. In using honor boxes though, they're also having to use bulk candy machines and/or full size drink machines and snack machines (as BobTHJ has stated above.) In running this particular business they're also having to work to the bone just to stay afloat. Read what BobTHJ just wrote about things being so "hectic". I don't believe that working a job that basically owns you (whether you're the owner of it or not) is really much of a life.  

I have a question for you. What's it to you whether he or anyone else makes $1.00 or $1,000,000? I don't get your argument. If you don't like the whole business model of honor boxes it is your right not to be involved with it. I don't dabble in it so I can't tell people whether or not it is worth doing. But by the sound of your post you are coming across as a know it all, I'm always right kind of guy. Apparently you "wasted" your time on the honor box business and you didn't do well. So now since you didn't make as much as you thought you should have you are here bashing other people and their decision to start and or continue in the honor box business.

OK hold up a sec there BobTHJ and the rest of you who are sucking up to this guy and congratulating him for producing absolutely nothing. Before we get carried away and elect this guy as the next president of the United States, let's all do some very simple math here, SHALL WE?

Now BobTHJ, your locator fee totaled $2,650.00. Now I don't know your numbers between when you started and up to this point (you quit posting them) but I think there's some things we can tell right away.........

The first thing that jumps right out at you is that you said you have between 25-30 accounts left out of the 50 accounts that you started with. So that's basically half of your business that's gone right there and it's ONLY BEEN 6 MONTHS since you started. 

Now because I don't know how much total net profit you've made (as well as you don't even know that for yourself) I can only guess here. Therefore I'm going to be considerate and say you've made $1,500.00 total net profit and I think that's far more than fair to give you that (though it's probably a good bit less.) You also stated that you make between $5 to $10 net profit per box per month. So let's just say for all in intent and purpose it's $7.50 that you make per box per month.Now if you multiply the number of accounts that you have remaining (let's say 27) by $7.50 it gives you $202.50. That is $202.50 per month total that you're making CURRENTLY. With the locator fees minus the estimated amount of profit you have made thus far it comes to $1,100 JUST TO BREAK EVEN. $1,100 divided by $202.50 is approximately 5 more months just to break even ACCORDING TO THE CURRENT STATUS OF YOUR BUSINESS. 

However, like I pointed out, it's ONLY been 6 months and already you've lost half of your business. The current trajectory for your loss of accounts will continue. As each particular working environment where you have your boxes are located in change (and they always change) you will be pulling more and more accounts. I think you're already getting to the point where your net profit is basically minuscule (ONLY $202.50 per month) and you haven't even broken even yet.

My main point therefore is AFTER WHAT POINT AFTER DOING ALL OF THIS WORK ARE YOU THEN ABLE TO PAY YOURSELF FOR ALL OF THE WORK YOU'VE ALREADY DONE? :huh:??? What about the wear and tear on your car and all the gas it eats up and all the other expenses that you haven't listed??? On that note, I really like how you very liberally express all of the high marks of this business but yet very subtly gloss over very important low marks of your business also. You claimed that you "give $1.50 to the high school student who counts money and repacks." YOU AREN'T PAYING THAT GUY ONLY $1.50 TO DO WORK FOR YOU. IF YOU DID IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW AND YOU WOULD BE GOING TO JAIL FOR IT. I think you're paying him $1.50 PER BOX, BUT YOU AREN'T PAYING HIM ONLY $1.50

Anyway, any of the rest of you who are considering going into this business need to read between the lines here. This is NOT a "good solid business" as Dennis Slack and the rest of these people claim that it is. It is true that many vending operators around the country use honor boxes but they can only use them in select few locations for any decent amount of time. In using honor boxes though, they're also having to use bulk candy machines and/or full size drink machines and snack machines (as BobTHJ has stated above.) In running this particular business they're also having to work to the bone just to stay afloat. Read what BobTHJ just wrote about things being so "hectic". I don't believe that working a job that basically owns you (whether you're the owner of it or not) is really much of a life.  

So let's clarify a few misconceptions:

1. Yes - I've lost 40-50% of the accounts placed. As anyone who has done honor boxes for any length of time knows you are most likely to lose an account in the first 90 days. In fact, many of the accounts I lost were because I chose to pull the box (either for high theft or low sales). At this point the 50-60% of boxes I have left are the "good" ones with low theft rates and higher sales volumes. A few of them are really stellar: next to no theft and emptying the box on a regular basis. It's pretty rare I lose a high-use / low-theft account after the 90 day mark. It does happen from time to time (business closes, new management, etc.) but once the box becomes a part of the employee and owner's regular snacking habits it is there to stay. As proof - I have many accounts that I acquired when I purchased a honor box route 2 years ago. The boxes on these accounts had been in place between 5 and 40 years! My attrition rate on these established accounts is very very low - in 2 years time I've lost only about 5% of them (mostly due to places that went out of business in the current hard economy).

2. My labor costs are $1.50 per box plus 10% of the gross. That's $4-5 per box MORE I choose to pay because I would rather have the time than the money. From a big picture perspective: my wife and I and our eight (yes, eight) kids live comfortably. I also support a single mom and her two kids who live with us. I've even had extra to invest in the new business (which is not yet at a profitable stage). All this on the income from my vending business - of which snack honor boxes comprise half my revenue. Before I hired employees, I was able to do this all myself in 35-40 hours per week.

3. Things have been hectic for me ONLY because of the new business. I'm pouring a lot of time into it. Despite being far more flexible than a typical 9-5 job, the vending business still ties me to the city I live in. I'd like to have the flexibility to travel and take my kids to see the world - so I'm focusing my current efforts on an internet based business that allows me to do that.

So let's clarify a few misconceptions:

1. Yes - I've lost 40-50% of the accounts placed. As anyone who has done honor boxes for any length of time knows you are most likely to lose an account in the first 90 days. In fact, many of the accounts I lost were because I chose to pull the box (either for high theft or low sales). At this point the 50-60% of boxes I have left are the "good" ones with low theft rates and higher sales volumes. A few of them are really stellar: next to no theft and emptying the box on a regular basis. It's pretty rare I lose a high-use / low-theft account after the 90 day mark. It does happen from time to time (business closes, new management, etc.) but once the box becomes a part of the employee and owner's regular snacking habits it is there to stay. As proof - I have many accounts that I acquired when I purchased a honor box route 2 years ago. The boxes on these accounts had been in place between 5 and 40 years! My attrition rate on these established accounts is very very low - in 2 years time I've lost only about 5% of them (mostly due to places that went out of business in the current hard economy).

2. My labor costs are $1.50 per box plus 10% of the gross. That's $4-5 per box MORE I choose to pay because I would rather have the time than the money. From a big picture perspective: my wife and I and our eight (yes, eight) kids live comfortably. I also support a single mom and her two kids who live with us. I've even had extra to invest in the new business (which is not yet at a profitable stage). All this on the income from my vending business - of which snack honor boxes comprise half my revenue. Before I hired employees, I was able to do this all myself in 35-40 hours per week.

3. Things have been hectic for me ONLY because of the new business. I'm pouring a lot of time into it. Despite being far more flexible than a typical 9-5 job, the vending business still ties me to the city I live in. I'd like to have the flexibility to travel and take my kids to see the world - so I'm focusing my current efforts on an internet based business that allows me to do that.

Thank you.

That's terrific info and I appreciate you sharing it.

Wish you great luck with the new business and continued success in vending.

I hope you reach your goals of showing your kids the world...that's a dream I hold for my kids too.

My main point therefore is AFTER WHAT POINT AFTER DOING ALL OF THIS WORK ARE YOU THEN ABLE TO PAY YOURSELF FOR ALL OF THE WORK YOU'VE ALREADY DONE? :huh:??? What about the wear and tear on your car and all the gas it eats up and all the other expenses that you haven't listed??? On that note, I really like how you very liberally express all of the high marks of this business but yet very subtly gloss over very important low marks of your business also. You claimed that you "give $1.50 to the high school student who counts money and repacks." YOU AREN'T PAYING THAT GUY ONLY $1.50 TO DO WORK FOR YOU. IF YOU DID IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW AND YOU WOULD BE GOING TO JAIL FOR IT. I think you're paying him $1.50 PER BOX, BUT YOU AREN'T PAYING HIM ONLY $1.50

If you would have spent as much time on your own honor box business and crunching your own numbers you would probably would have done better in in it.  Now it seems you spend your time crunching other people's numbers.  I have 30 honor boxes that I built over about 4 or 5 months now (on a very, very part-time basis).  In that time I have had to pull 2 accounts because of theft.  It's no big deal to have to pull accounts.  It's going to happen.  The key to running an honor box route, if you plan to do it full time is to keep getting locations.  In my opinion, it's a lot easier to get honor box accounts than it is bulk or full which I have all three.  I have a feeling you are one of those people that read something about how to make a fortune with honor box with very little work and fell for it hook line and sinker.  You were probably looking for a get rich business and then found out you had to actually work the honor box business and gave up and usually when people give up on something they start looking for something, or someone to blame it on.  Well my advice to you is look in the mirror and you will probably find exactly why the business didn't work.  My advice to anyone that is thinking about doing honor boxes, I say go for it.  There are lot more businesses out there that have a lot more financial risk than starting an honor box route, just remember keep locating, keep locating, keep locating

• 2 weeks later...

If you would have spent as much time on your own honor box business and crunching your own numbers you would probably would have done better in in it.  Now it seems you spend your time crunching other people's numbers.  I have 30 honor boxes that I built over about 4 or 5 months now (on a very, very part-time basis).  In that time I have had to pull 2 accounts because of theft.  It's no big deal to have to pull accounts.  It's going to happen.  The key to running an honor box route, if you plan to do it full time is to keep getting locations.  In my opinion, it's a lot easier to get honor box accounts than it is bulk or full which I have all three.  I have a feeling you are one of those people that read something about how to make a fortune with honor box with very little work and fell for it hook line and sinker.  You were probably looking for a get rich business and then found out you had to actually work the honor box business and gave up and usually when people give up on something they start looking for something, or someone to blame it on.  Well my advice to you is look in the mirror and you will probably find exactly why the business didn't work.  My advice to anyone that is thinking about doing honor boxes, I say go for it.  There are lot more businesses out there that have a lot more financial risk than starting an honor box route, just remember keep locating, keep locating, keep locating

Gee, I wonder why is this guy so bent on challenging other people and trying to squash their ambitions to do the honor box business? Is he 'thevendingbutler' in Maryland? It seems to be a good ad for negativity. Instead of folks trying to sell people with that, "If it works for me, it'll work for you!", it's "It didn't work for me, so it won't work for you - and I'm going to make sure you know I'm right and it'll only end in failure for you by continuing to 'WARN' you and by dissecting and chastising your experiences and responses!" Wow, it didn't work for him, he put it out there, he 'warned' folks, now he's addressing adults like they're naive teenagers who don't know what the heck they want to do with their lives - even after people tell him they've been successful AND how AND the extent to which they have been. There's nothing wrong with different views like those on here, but, dang his stuff seems kind of over-the-top! Successful honor box vendors and other folks considering this area, you've been duly warned (LOL) - may I wish you continued success and luck in your honor boxes!!! At some point, can't it be "Well, I'm glad it's working for you so-and-so."? Maybe he'll lower the volume - at least, I hope.

But, again, as my children might say  WOWWWW, DUDE!

Gee, I wonder why is this guy so bent on challenging other people and trying to squash their ambitions to do the honor box business? Is he 'thevendingbutler' in Maryland? It seems to be a good ad for negativity. Instead of folks trying to sell people with that, "If it works for me, it'll work for you!", it's "It didn't work for me, so it won't work for you - and I'm going to make sure you know I'm right and it'll only end in failure for you by continuing to 'WARN' you and by dissecting and chastising your experiences and responses!" Wow, it didn't work for him, he put it out there, he 'warned' folks, now he's addressing adults like they're naive teenagers who don't know what the heck they want to do with their lives - even after people tell him they've been successful AND how AND the extent to which they have been. There's nothing wrong with different views like those on here, but, dang his stuff seems kind of over-the-top! Successful honor box vendors and other folks considering this area, you've been duly warned (LOL) - may I wish you continued success and luck in your honor boxes!!! At some point, can't it be "Well, I'm glad it's working for you so-and-so."? Maybe he'll lower the volume - at least, I hope.

But, again, as my children might say  WOWWWW, DUDE!

You'll note that the Vending butler has been banned from this forum - not for his opinions but for some other forum transgression.  There aren't a whole lot of things you could do to get banned here and the number of banned members is a very small group.

Archived