Cardboard Slugs

T BIRD

I have a brand new location at a mall.  Its a Foot Locker store.  The A&A Elite double is in the back of the store near the stock area and time clock.  Its been there 2 weeks.  I went to check on it after collecting from The Gap and Guess Jeans right nearby at that mall.  The Mike and Ikes were about 1/3 full.  It was filled to the top 2 weeks ago.  I was thrilled until I opened the machine and pulled out the coin tray.  There were about 15-20 cardboard slugs.  One also jammed up the coin mech so I had to change the mech out with one I had in the car.  The slugs work!!  I tried them.  Now what gang?  Do I pull the machine?  Wait and see what happens next week?  I told the manager about it. I also put a sign asking that no cardboard slugs be used.  ( I probably should not have done that but I did ).

The problem is its a good location.  There was $27.00 in it after 2 weeks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I too am seeing more of this – very annoying to say the least!  In fact, kids are posting how to do this on Utube – so the problem will probably get worse.  I don’t use A&A, but NW has a slug buster upgrade.  You need the slug buster wheel and pawl.  The pawl has a sharp point and acts like a razor blade and sticks the cardboard so it will not pass.  A real metal coin has no impact since it is rigid enough to not get caught on the sharp point.  Installed one 6 months ago and it works like a champ.   Just can’t let the little brats win this one!  Call A&A to see if they have one or switch to NW at that location.  Just one more reason why I like NW.

Jax

Sorry to hear about that Johnny.

You could ask the manager if you can install a dummy camera in the area where the machine is and put a sign on or near the machine that the vending machine is under video surveillance. (Actually you might want to install a real camera , just the camera with no recording to act as a dummy......... The reason I say that is because dummy cameras usually look about as real as an unmarked police car doesn't look like a police car.) Just an idea. I might even have an old camera around here somewhere that I could let you use. (Not sure, I'd have to look.)

It might work as a deterrent......... It is just like all the stuff I do for my career. I can't guarantee that no one will get robbed but I can help "harden the target."

Just a thought. 

Since it looks like this will be a really good location I would say try to do what you can to keep it.

I'm sure some more experienced vendors might have some more input.

Really sorry to hear about that............ Those rat ba$t%rds

David

WOW,

And I thought the little mexican grocery was bad..I had Plastic Toy Coins..like the ones you use to teach your kids...there was 3 of them one month..then it stopped...If I start seeong cardboard..I would pull the machine..under the assumption that this is an isolated case/ location

Go with a coin mech that has a sharpen dog, like the NW or Beaver and maybe others. Any where their is teens they will try and find away to get something for free, maybe the management will be some help maybe not.

Believe it or not, there are dozens of videos on-line on how to cheat a vending machine. Just goes to show you how little respect the vending business gets from the authorities. If a video were made on how to break into and steal a car, it would probably be banned. Here is a YouTube link from a year ago. Check out the related videos - very disturbing. If a thief walks into a hotel and steals a microwave from the breakfast buffet, he would be charged with a crime. However if he steals the gumball machine (about the same cost), everyone thinks it's a joke and nothing is done. You have to take the law into your own hands in this business.

Jax

However if he steals the gumball machine (about the same cost), everyone thinks it's a joke and nothing is done.

Then the local police wouldn't like me. My taxes pay there pay and I will keep calling them.

The police work for you. If an officer laughs it off put a complaint in. Call and ask for the cheif and request that an appointment be made for a face to face. If this still doesn't work go higher. Get your state rep's involved. Call the FBI, basicaly go higher and higher. You will get someone to bite if nothing else but to get you off their back.

Don't let them think "Oh its only a quarter gum ball, it not a big deal" explain to the cop that those q's are what you do for a buisness, and that you expect the same respect as they would give a store theft. Don't take no for an answer on a finger print test. They may come up with excuses that it would have wiped off in the machine. The fact is it may not have and you would like every thing done within the powers of the law.

Yep, I too am seeing more of this – very annoying to say the least!  In fact, kids are posting how to do this on Utube – so the problem will probably get worse.  I don’t use A&A, but NW has a slug buster upgrade.  You need the slug buster wheel and pawl.  The pawl has a sharp point and acts like a razor blade and sticks the cardboard so it will not pass.  A real metal coin has no impact since it is rigid enough to not get caught on the sharp point.  Installed one 6 months ago and it works like a champ.   Just can’t let the little brats win this one!  Call A&A to see if they have one or switch to NW at that location.  Just one more reason why I like NW.

Jax

Thanks for that tip Jax!  I am gonna call A&A and ask.

Jax..........I called A&A.  They do not have a slug buster.  But like you said.......NW does have one:

When ordering the coin mech, ask for Northwestern slugbuster.  This will greatly help your problem.

3-612 Slugbuster Coin Mech----- 

Big Mike wrote:

More likley a pizza box but could be from anything. Talking to  the manager usually does the trick.

Mike

unless the manager is the one doing it. if he isnt he probably knows it is going on. its not the public it is an employee. let the manager know if it is an employee that if he will steal a gumball from you he will steal $100 from his register.

Jax..........I called A&A.  They do not have a slug buster.  But like you said.......NW does have one:

When ordering the coin mech, ask for Northwestern slugbuster.  This will greatly help your problem.

3-612 Slugbuster Coin Mech----- 

T Bird,  Glad to hear that your probelm will soon be solved.  To save some money, you could just buy the 2 slugbuster parts and convert the mech yourself rather than buying the complete mech.   Will this mech work in your A&A machine?  Also curious if the NW capsule wheel fixed your mis-vend issues a few months ago?  The more you use the NW stuff, the more you will like it! 

Jax

Its a pizza box Antonio. Like a Domino's pizza box not a regular pizza place cardboard box.

Pusher......Deb and I are going there this evening and see if its still going on. If it is we will talk with the manager again and say the things you mention.

Jax......I am not sure I can hook the slug buster part into my existing coin mech. ( NW ). I am all thumbs still. ( but gettin' better slowly )I gotta ask if the NW slug buster coin mech will fit into the A&A Elite machine. Thats a good question. It would save me from having to haul a double head thru the mall to replace the one there.  In terms of the NW capsule wheel?  I did not utilize the NW machine to replace the A&A one.  The mis vends seem to be under control presently. ( knock on wood )  My money situation will be improving very shortly so that I can begin to buy more machines etc. ( Northwestern machines ONLY! )  I will see from there if I should replace any capsule machines I have out there with a NW machine.

I checked the A&A Elite and NW 60 machines to see if the NW mech works in the Elite.  It does!  So.......I will check the machine this evening for any more card noard slugs.  If they are there I will order 2 slug busters from NW tomorrow morning.  I would love to see this thief's face after he  puts a slug into this mech when it comes.

Could someone post a picture of the slug buster on a mech? (Point to it with a pencil)

I think almost every mech has this "slug buster" on it. They may not call it that but it's on the newer mech's already.

I have been in contact with A&A and they said that their mech's have a piece that stops cardboard and other slugs from being used. If the mech's are older and have loosened or worn out, that may be the issue.

I know that Johnny's A&A's are not that old so, a picture would really help clarify the part we are talking about.

I have attached a picture.

Thanks.

Gary

My LYPC's already have sharpened dogs. 

My 1-800's have a narrow type dog that stops slugs.

I am thinking that most of these companies have figured out the issues and have corrected them. As far as Johnny's A&A's, he needs to check the dog and see if it is on tight and the presure on it is good.

Gary

I may be simplifying things too much but I have ground the dogs on some of my machines to a sharpened point and have seen positive results. 

I simply take any blunt dog, tighten it up in my bench vice and go at it with a 4" angle grinder. (file works too) Be mindful of leaving enough material as well. All you want to do is "sharpen" it, not reduce its overall size.

Just be careful not to make it too sharp or it will keep real quarters from passing as well. A super sharp point sometimes gets caught on the raised portions of newer coins. Especially the edges.

Steve

I will post a pic tomorrow.  My mechs are 2 months old on that machine. I went to Foot Locker tonite.  There were about 22 cardboard slugs in it.  And one of the locks on the top lid was jammed.  Reluctantly I pulled the machine.  Even with all of the slugs, I collected $41.25 since July 18th.  Thats why I didnt want to let it go.  But I am just afraid that once I put the NW slugbusters in, they will simply trash the mechs and locks.  Its not worth it.  These AA mechs do NOTHING to stop them.

PS..........The trick these employees learned was to take New Balance sneaker boxes right?  Each box has a punch out on it.  Its round and the same size of a quarter and fits perfectly in the coin mech.  Can you believe it?  Two employees told me that is what the others ( or them ! ) are doing.