Special GPS for routes to solve 'traveling salesman' problem?

matthew1585

Anyone familiar with the traveling salesman problem will see how pertinent it is to maintaining an ever growing route. The problem was formulated by computer scientists to discover the 'perfect' optimal set of directions to visit every single destination on a route with the least possible expenditure in gas, or in the theoretical model, minimum possible distance traveled to make it to every location in one try. Now I have a GPS unit that I can save locations into but it can only follow one destination at a time, and therefor completely ignores any long term optimization in route travel. As your route grows even the smallest inefficiency in your trip will result in lost money. An investment in a GPS unit with route management built into will inevitably boost profits as your route swells to multiple cities.

Where can I buy such a GPS?

...and what is it called?

plug them into batchgeo and you can get a birds eye view then it easy to put them in order

I did this for all my routes

very easy to use and you can copy and paste addresses from a spreadsheet or list

batchgeo.com

only take right turns!

UPS had special software written for them that minimized left turns. Saved them tens of millions in fuel.

plug them into batchgeo and you can get a birds eye view then it easy to put them in order

I did this for all my routes

very easy to use and you can copy and paste addresses from a spreadsheet or list

batchgeo.com

I will have to look at it too. I use S&T because it has an optimize function that will build the route you want depending on parameters you set. You can also import data from excell, access and others or send map data back.

UPS had special software written for them that minimized left turns. Saved them tens of millions in fuel.

I will have to look at it too. I use S&T because it has an optimize function that will build the route you want depending on parameters you set. You can also import data from excell, access and others or send map data back.

I have never heard of that. Some really good suggestions and so far Streets and Trips looks the most promising.

Optimap on vend-trak. Every year Ill explore other options but always come back to vend-trak. Thankfully I was grandfathered in at the old price. On vend trak I have different routes and before servicing I create new route click and drag the locations I want to hit then utilize the optimap feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Optimap on vend-trak. Every year Ill explore other options but always come back to vend-trak. Thankfully I was grandfathered in at the old price. On vend trak I have different routes and before servicing I create new route click and drag the locations I want to hit then utilize the optimap feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is cool but, how would you load this on the fly? Can you use it on your smart phone? The program constantly crashes too for me...

That is cool but, how would you load this on the fly? Can you use it on your smart phone? The program constantly crashes too for me...

I think we might be talking about two different programs. I use vend-trak, can be found at www.vend-trak1.com. And no problems using my Samsung note 2

Archived