V501 freezing issue

Gunpowder

Bought a used V501. I switched it to cans and it wasn't vending right so I cleand the fidigity ramp and hosed it off. It froze the next day.

I discovered that the drain was pluged. Actually there was not hose on the drain. No nut for that matter and the plastic drain was broke but hole wasplugged with debree. The code says NJ (Hot). I tried to clear the code and it won't clear.  I assume the freezing is caused by one of the folowing in order:

1. The drain was plugged and the evaporator was sitting in water sourced from the garden hose. .
  2. Too much air is getting in through the drain hole. Install a new drain piece and new hose.
  3. thermostat is bad (Source of NJ code) which is not shutting off the evaporator
  4. Fan is not working on the evaporator
  5. Low freon
  6. :huh:???

I am going to put the broken plug back in with no hose and plug the machine in. See if it freezes up again. If it does then it must be the thermostat.

Error code nJ is a coin jam in the coin mech, not a cooling error.  As I posted in your other thread, the standing water in the cabinet will freeze the evaporator.  After draining the cabinet, if it still freezes soon then you are low on freon.  You will need to replace the broken drain, missing nut and missing drain hose as well.  The only time the thermostat needs to be replaced is if it won't turn the compressor on, short cycles the compressor and condensing fan together (short time on and shorter time off), won't turn the compressor off which results in frozen cans, or, if you have an electronic temperature sensor, the machine reports erroneous temperatures.

Actually I was able to clear the NJ code. I meant to say the code was refrig-"Hot"/. That one I was not able to clear. That led me to think either the thermostat is bad or the code won't clear until the box is cold.

Actually I was able to clear the NJ code. I meant to say the code was refrig-"Hot"/. That one I was not able to clear. That led me to think either the thermostat is bad or the code won't clear until the box is cold.

I think refrigeration hot usually means that the temperature is simply too high and works like a health timer.  My bevmax was doing that for a while whenever I had left the door open for too long and was working on the machine.  I would check for errors and get the refrigeration hot error.  It never comes up if it has already been cleared and I have JUST opened the door.  It only comes up AFTER it gets too "warm" inside for too long I guess.

Maybe mine just magically went away though  :rolleyes: .

You may have just triggered it when you were trying to clear the nj error for too long and thus caused the machine to warm up too much.  It's a weird code and doesn't make a lot of sense but I haven't gotten a good clear answer from any manual so far.

By the way, now that I read your post again, that error could be a direct relation to your actual refrigeration problem.  If the machine isn't cooling down enough, it should give you that error no matter what (because it isn't cold enough).

To my knowledge, refrigeration hot means that the internal temperature of your cabinet isn't cold enough.  I do NOT think it means your refrigerant is hot.

This code simply means the cabinet temperature has risen above the upper threshold within the program for an extended period of time.  This would have been caused by your frozen evaporator.  Even though it was frozen, the sensor is far enough away from the sensor that it will detect the temperature of the air surrounding the sensor which will be higher than the target temp due to the frozen evaporator.  The error will clear when the temperature drops into the acceptable range. 

Archived