AP 112 Display issue

AngryChris

I have an AP 112 that has display issues after the machine has been rocked.  I would like my machines to stop shaking the machine obviously, but sometimes the display stops even when I open/shut the access door on the hinge just to collect the cash.  The only thing that seems to make any sense is that I can "kind of" cause the display to go out by playing with the coin-mech plug.  I can't recreate this easily as I have to wiggle the plug quite a bit to make the display go out.  I just don't know if there could be a short somewhere that will cause the display to stop working.

I have not tested to see if the machine will take coins/bills while the display is out but the fluorescent light stays on the whole time.  I thought the machine was shorting out at first but I really don't know now.  I'm thinking about replacing the machine for now with a 5-wide (because I would rather put a 5-wide in there and keep the 4-wide for a nicer location) but I really want to figure out what causes the display to go out first.  I'm afraid that it might get roughed up a little at a better location and I might lose the customer.  Any ideas?

This could be a loose harness to the display from the logic board or from the keypad to the display board.  Turn off power and take the logic board cover off.  Pull the display harness (short ribbon cable with two grey ends) off and put it back on a couple of times on both ends.  Do the same for the two pin connector where the keypad plugs into the back of the display board.  Also do this with all connectors on the board, especially the power connector on the middle right edge.

Make sure you have the heavy grey fish paper insulating the upper half of the back of the display board - the top display mounting screws should be insulated by the fish paper.  Make sure you don't have anything metal touching the back of the display board, such as an incorrect validator with a bottler bezel instead of a snack bezel.  Turn power on and see if the problem returns.  If it does you probably have a bad display.

Archived