Entering and Leaving

TheLion

I am curious on how some of the experienced bulk candy guys enter and leave the location, i used to enter the location say Hi how are you? if there is someone around, then do what i got to do and say thank you then I leave, and in places where there is no one around or no one looks at u i just do what i got to do and leave but apparently they expect me to say something since they called back to say to pick the machine up since i am not giving commission and not saying thank you, thanks for all the replies.

I am curious on how some of the experienced bulk candy guys enter and leave the location, i used to enter the location say Hi how are you? if there is someone around, then do what i got to do and say thank you then I leave, and in places where there is no one around or no one looks at u i just do what i got to do and leave but apparently they expect me to say something since they called back to say to pick the machine up since i am not giving commission and not saying thank you, thanks for all the replies.

I have to say reading your post makes me thankful I no longer do charity candy routes.

At the risk of offending some people...I think it's rude as hell to go into a place, service a machine, and leave without saying hello, goodbye, or thank-you if the opportunity presents itself.

People slam charity bulk vendors by calling them liars, cheaters, and crooks.

Do you blame them if you are sneaking in and out of places like a thief?

I don't care if you are doing charity or commission, the fact is, these locations help put money in our pockets and don't NEED us nearly as much as we NEED them.

Yet, some of you don't feel a sense of obligation to be courteous to the employees and customers in our locations?

WTF?! That ranks awfully high on the a-hole meter.

I have both charity and commission locations on my route and I say "hi", "bye", and "thank you" at every opportunity.

I'll even have a conversation if I'm not putting anyone out by doing so.

Don't go into a place in a manner that disrupts the work being done by the business.

But, don't purposely try to sneak in and out hoping no one sees you, either.

Not even for charity stops.

In the thousands of service stops I have made over my years of vending, I have NEVER, not ONCE, been kicked out of a location in a manner that left me thinking, "Damn, I wish I had been less friendly and courteous to the people in that location whenever I serviced".

Be proud of what you do for a living people.

And treat people with courtesy and respect whether you are vending or not.

I don't shy away at my charity stops.  I walk right in, announce myself - that I'm there to service the candy machine, ask how business is going and hand them 6 or 7 dum-dum suckers and when I leave just say "thanks".  If you slink around, avoid eye contact and act like your hand is in the cookie jar, you'll probably encounter more of this.  

And, as has been stated, know your customer and when it's appropriate to pay commission.  My biggest charity stop is 8 triples and grosses $500/month.  No way I'd ever offer commission because it's a huge blue collar factory and they just want vending to be clean, keep machines stocked and stay out of the way.  

But a mom & pop shop where you do 80+ a month and share the location with 2-3 other vendors?  Totally appropriate to make sure they get 25%.  Either that or you better make sure they like you.  A lot.

Keep your chin up, experience helps you read people.  It also helps to remember when us charity guys lose a location, we were netting DOUBLE what the commission guys were while we were there.  And for every location you lose there's five more out there that'll take a machine.  

Smile! ;D   Unless you're one of those charity vendors that wears the t-shirt and cap with charity logo, they know you're there to do your job, so just be friendly and thankful.  Most of my charity stops even thank me for keeping them serviced regularly, so it never hurts to take a couple of seconds to create and maintain relationships with people.  Trust me, it goes a long way!  

Not sure why it matters if it's charity or not with saying "thank you" either.  I always write a note on my commission slips that say "thank you."

I like the idea of hooking them up, if I'm servicing a machine and a kid walks up, I hand out 2-3 dollars.  It's going into the machine so my loss is almost nothing.  Then they love it, at lunch spots or restaurants I eat lunch at the location if it's a big earner.  I have to eat anyway and they love the reciprocation.  Throwing away that candy?  Give it to the location, I handed about 100oz of plain m&m's to the bartender NOONE was buying and now I'm greeted with huge smiles and hellos the second I walk in the door.  $15 for a guarentee I'll never be kicked out and have employees looking out for my machine, I wish it was always so easy...

Archived