USI CB500 double vend col #16 only?

chris in bc

I own a USI CB500 drink machine. The unit double vends on selection 16 only, which is at  the front, 2nd column from the left.   When the cans in this troublesome column reach around the halfway point in the column the machine starts to double vend. So basically the machine single vends the top half and then double vends the bottom half. Weird! I checked and adjusted the drop sensor, checked that the unit was set for ALL cans, and even turned the power on/off. It is only one column! I checked the anti-tip finger, checked the drop chute and even moved the machine to the left and right a few inches  even verified the unit was set for ALL cans.  I THINK replacing a drop sensor and a new board for Christmas will do the trick.......! It is almost as if the board is NOT telling the motor/cradle to stop turning after a vend has taken place...can't wait for my new Vendo live display to arrive! Thanks Santa!

If you are from USI.......and I know you guys from read these forums. I have had problems with all your drink machines, CB700, CB500 and this never ends. Tech support is a joke. Start making quality or I will NOT even consider your products in the future. POS drink vendors. Waste of money!

Chris I was thinking about this last night after we spoke.  Are these 12 oz cans you are vending or are they a little smaller like 11 or 11.5 oz?   If they are slightly smaller why don't you try the black plastic filler panel that is usually used with 16 oz bottles and see if that works.  Only put a few cans in the column for testing because the filler might jam the column. 

The other possibility is that the motor is bad, and the more I think about this the more likely I think that is the case.  The motor is told to stop by the logic board, but if the gears in the motor are too loose it could coast too far and allow another vend.  When the column is full there is so much weight on the rotor that there is probably some horizontal bend to the rotor and motor which might bind just enough to prevent any coasting, but as the weight is reduced by vended cans there would be less torsional force on the motor and it would be free to coast if there's something wrong in the motor.

Now the above idea is moot if you actually hear the motor running to the point that the second product falls, meaning the machine is telling the motor to turn that far.  In that case I think the first solution above may work because the column wall might flex closer to the rotor when full and farther away when less full (sounds weird but stranger things have happend).  The drawback to the filler panel is that if it works with the column is 1/2 full it might jam the column when it is completely full.

Let us know what you find.  I can send you a motor on Friday after the holiday if you need one.

I had a similar thing happen to me when I delivered a BC10, after 30 minutes on the phone with tech support it turned out the metal tab hanging down was bent. Look up under the motors and you will see a metal flap hanging down, look at other tabs to make sure its not bent(sorry I can't be more specific )

John

This is very odd.  I'm leaning toward you and thinking there is a motor issue or some sort of bent tab like everyone else is talking about.  It sounds like the weight of the product is keeping the machine from double vending.  I know it would be frustrating to do, but can you try to swap motors?  It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the board, and it would (in theory) prove that your drop sensor is fine.  I really don't think there is anything wrong with your drop sensor though because I think the motor is supposed to turn to a certain point, stop, wait for the sensor to tell the board that there was a successful vend, and turn back to home IF THERE WAS NO VEND.

If it vends 2 cans almost simultaneously, i'm pretty sure that something is mechanically messed up.  This is probably one of those typical STUPID things that we all face-palm over once we realize what it is.   You will probably treat yourself out to dinner after you fix the silly problem when you realize that you didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a new board and/or sensor.

yeah thanks-I had this problem in a Cb700 machine. I ended up changing a board and drop sensor to solve the problem. I will troubleshoot with tech support next week. stupid-I really regret buying these crap vendors. They have been a headache from Day ONE.

Seems like you get the short end of the stick with USI.  I have seen many of them work without too many issues.  If I am going to buy a new soda machine though, I am going for a Vendo 721!!!

Embarrassing, aggravating, humiliating! USI machines have been an absolute disaster from day one! I cannot believe one column would kick out 2 cans, once the can level passes the halfway point in the column? How do you explain this one? I think there are a lot of Made in China parts-cheap, crap electronics making my Holiday a pain! Anyways, I haven't phoned tech support cause I have been busy, but I know it will need a DROP sensor ( probably made in China-joint project with Coke) and a new board......even my wallet doesn't like this post! Blah..thank god for Craigslist! Bye junk!

I have all USI machines.  While I can't say I've had a lot of problems....very little really even 10 years later, but I will agree totally that Tech Support is extremely lacking.  I don't know if Bob Floyd is still there but he is the only one that seems to really know his stuff.  Anyone else will generally look thru the manual while you describe the problem and they will 99% of the time say you have a bad part.   

Last issue I had was a cold food machine that was dropping water from the evaporator.  There had been a power spike a week prior.  They sad it was a bad part.....about $150.....turns out I just had the adjust the temp sensor settings as they had been changed when the power went out.  Sent the part back but had to pay for shipping both ways.

I called my refrig guy and he just laughed about what they told me.  Took 5 minutes with him and it was fixed.

Chris in BC, have you flattened the anti-cheat finger out slightly.  If that doesn't solve the problem, swap the cam with motor to another column and see if this problem follows the swap.  Sometimes the cam's are not machined properly, or the column is slightly too wide, and allows for the 2nd can to drop prematurely.  This can be fixed by shimming the column several different ways.  The machines are shipped out with a black plastic shim for use with smaller diameter bottles this also helps fix these problems. just swapping this cam-motor assembly to different column, very well might be a no cost fix.  The cams are slightly more narrow for the 2nd can keeping it from dropping but if cam isn't spec you get a premature drop, or if the column is wider than spec.  Shimming fixes either.  This problem is most prevalent in BC-700/CB-700 models.

Rob- FAWN Distributor

Also, do you have the laminated drop pan, or the once piece all black drop pan?

Have you adjusted the anti cheat tab yet first?

First thing adjust anti cheat tab then test

if not fixed

Move cam with motor attached to different column and test to see if problem follows

if problem follows replace cam/motor

if problem stays shim column

Some call anti cheat tab a finger.  The flatter the tab, the more rotation it takes to vend.  if its too flat it will not vend soon enough.  Too bent and it will double vend.  If the column is wider than spec it will double vend.  Shimming will narrow column.  Black shim may work, or you may need alternative form of shim.  First see if problem moves to different column when swapping out motor/can assem

To move/replace a motor you have to empty the front and rear columns of product and then pull out the rod that goes down the center of both motor/rotor assemblies.  Then you can remove whichever motor you want to remove.

When moving the motor, I recommend keeping the cam attached to it and swap them both together.  In case its the cam that is the problem.  

When removing these parts:

There is a metal strip that is attached with 2 or 3 screws.  Once removed you can pull pins that hold cams/motors in place.  Prior to this empty affected slots and shut off power, and disconnect small power cable that goes to motor.

Also note that there is a small black insert that goes into the back of the cam.  This keeps the rod centered in the cam.  Sometimes they fall out when pulling out the rods.  Make sure you don't lose it down the refrigeration duct.  You might cover that area or keep your hand under the back of the cam to catch small black insert in case it falls out while pulling out rod.

When I say pins, I mean the rods that hold the cams in place.

Once you have pulled the motor and cams.  You can change the orientation of the motor in the cam.  

Just curious, how many vends on this machine or on that particular motor.  

Press: Service mode button

Press 6, 3, 3  if you have GVC1

Archived