AP SHELF HARNESS KIT

vavendor

I have an AP 111 that 3 of the shelves have some play in them so all selections work when the driver closes the door and checks each row before he leaves. At some point before the next service date, someone will shake the machine ( I believe this is the cause) and one or more of the shelves with play in them will roll forward, causing the pins to lose contact. After that, the whole shelf reads make another selection when an item is trying to be purchased . I have checked all of the rollers on the shelves and they are intact.

Do you have good shelf locks in place on all the shelves?  They should prevent the shelves from rolling forward.  Make sure the shelf locks aren't flipped over backwards and that their arms aren't broken off.  If there's no arm on a shelf lock it won't stay balanced and in the locked position. 

Are the rollers worn out.  They will look like they have been driven over a rough road or could have chips out of them.  If any of them look this way you should probably replace all of them as they have a lot of miles on them.  New rollers will be slightly larger in diameter and will hold the shelf in the rails better.  Also make sure the rollers are the same on each shelf.  Someone could have used incorrect rollers on some of the shelves and AP had a few different rollers.  Confirm that the rollers are straight on each shelf as they can be bent with rough handling.  If the shelves are difficult to pull out or push in then that's a sign that the rollers are worn out.

I checked the shelf locks and rollers are all are in place and in good condition. I looked in the rear portion of the machine and found the metal partition where the shelf rails insert. That partition is severely bent, looking as if somebody took a hammer to it. I tried to straighten, but was not very successful. When you get one part straight , it bends another. I believe this bent partition is the reason that some shelves have a lot of play in them. Any ideas?   

The only vertical shelf support that was ever available as a service part was the left front support as all the others are welded in. You could try to stiffen your bent support with a piece of angle iron running from top to bottom and bolted to the vertical support in several spots.

Thanks for the idea, AZ. Just to clarify, in response to my original question, there are no kits available or ways to get around having the pins insert into the connection at the back of the machine at this time. 

Archived