I know everyone is getting tired of my DN276E problems, buuuut. . . .

ki4fkw

The last hitch I am on is this:

I assume I have the wrong combination of settings as the machine won't take change at all. It goes straight in and straight out.

The bill validator has no power (or at least is not powered on), so I don't think it has anything to do with it.

The coin mech is a Mars. It seems to be working fine. Every time I open it and test it by purchasing a drink via putting in coins, it seems to work just fine. Then, someone calls me and tells me that it won't take change. I try tonight (from outside the machine, I didn't have my keys, was just in the neighborhood) and nope- no credit.

I also notice that when it DOES take money, it's keeping it in the tubes. I THINK what is happening is that when the tubes get full, it quits taking money instead of just dumping the new money into the cash box.

I have read and read and read the user manuals and I can't seem to figure out what option I have set incorrectly.

HELP - this is killing my sales.

I think your problem with the coin mech is related to the coin return lever as another recent member posted about.  I am copying my response to him here for you to read:

Because your coin mech seems to work fine when the door is open and you make purchases with coins, "it sounds like you simply have a mechanical issue with the coin return lever.  Your E model will have a c/r lever inside the door that pivots down and toward the door when you press the outside c/r button.  The wide flat part of the lever is what presses on the c/r lever of the coin mech.  If the metal lever is protruding out past the plane of the inside face of the main door when the c/r is at rest, the inner door will then push the lever toward the front of the door as you tighten the door down.  This effectively begins to press down on the c/r lever of the coin mech.  Partially pressing that c/m lever down will signal a c/r return condition and cause rejection of all coins.

You will see on the metal lever that there are two screws allowing adjustment in length of the lever.  Loosen both screws and move the wide part up just enough to make if flush with the plane of the door.  Tighten the screws and check operation of the lever when you push the c/r button.  If the lever pushes the c/m arm down and opens the acceptor, as it should, and the metal lever doesn't slip behind the plastic c/m lever, then you are good.  Button it up and test the coin mech."

Try this fix and then see if that solves your coin mech and bill validator issues.

I also notice that when it DOES take money, it's keeping it in the tubes. I THINK what is happening is that when the tubes get full, it quits taking money instead of just dumping the new money into the cash box.

I had something similar happen in a coin mech (sorry can't recall the brand, only that it was an L plug). The problem was that the coin return chute in the back of the mech was jammed (mine had a small lift out panel covering the coin bypass chute), and it would work fine as long as none of the tubes was full. As soon as 1 tube was full it stopped accepting anything. Have a look for that as well.

(I've also had the coin return lever partially pressed on the mech, once by misaligned doors and once by the mdb cable falling into the lever - but only when the door was closed)

AZVendor, you are my hero. If you are ever in Alabama, I owe you a beer. 

It was indeed pushing the coin return lever. A minor adjustment and it's working like a charm. 

Now if I can just get the bill validator going, I'll be in business!

If your validator still won't power up and you have it connected via its MDB harness, you may need to replace it.  What model is it and does it power up if you turn the machine off and back on?  What does the indicator light do after powerup?

It is a Mars 2500. I have the exact model number written down somewhere.

It never does anything at all. I never see the external lights do anything and I've not noticed the internal lights ever come on. I've checked all of the plugs (that I can trace) though the harness and even checked to make sure than pins are not bent. 

Maybe it is just bad. I dunno. It'd just be odd, I'd think.... as the machine was professionally refurbished. I even recall taking it and the coin mech out when I loaded it and took it home from the refurbisher to ensure that it didn't get banged around on the truck. The machine sat for months before I ever got it placed.

I may just have to order a new one and try it. I just know as soon as I do, I'll figure out that nothing was wrong with it. Same thing happened to me when I ordered a new coin mech for my old Vendo Coke machine, only to discover that the problem wasn't my mech. Oh well, I guess I have a spare, hahaha.

Since your machine is MDB your validator is a VN2512 or a VN2502.  Make sure you have the single long connector in the side of the validator and that one end of the validator harness is plugged into the machine and the other end is plugged into the coin mech.  If this is connected properly pull the validator out and inspect the pins in the side very carefully - you may have missed one even though you looked at it before.  A bent pin can be very hard to see (it will be bent flat).  If the pins are okay try the validator in another machine or try another validator in this machine.  They will have to be 24v Mars in each machine you are swapping with.  If another Mars VN 24v validator won't work in your machine then I would suspect the harness.  If your validator won't work in another machine I would suspect the validator.

If you need an exchange I can do that for you.  Just send me a PM.

Archived