Just Starting Out, Need Some n00b questions answered.

EeeBeeDee

I've been scouring this forum and the rest of the internet (this forum is much more useful than the rest of the internet) and I am in the process of formulating a business plan, but I have a couple questions!  

So in my reading most people have been saying wait until you have locations to buy machines.  Would you say this is true for getting even the first machine?  I feel like having the machine to show people (I've decided on Northwesterns) would help selling the owner on the idea of having the machine in their store.  Same deal with stock, should I wait until I have the location or have it ready and waiting so I can place the location as soon as possible?  

I've seen a couple mentions that I should roll my quarters for the bank, do I need to buy rolls or does the bank provide me with rolls or is that something that depends on the bank (it will be Chase).

Thanks for all of the help you've given me already!

Walking into a store with a machine filled with merchandise is your best sales tool. Give him a few toys to get a feel of the merchandise. Keep the store owners gaze on the machine while you are talking. Bring out the child in the owner or manager. I can remember when I first started walking down street after street with a gumball machine. Some store owners would even come out of their store to ask me to install. The joys of just starting out. These will be your best days!!

I think the "wait to secure locations before buying equipment" mantra is more for commission rack and crane locations.  For charity machines (I'm assuming the NW Triple Plays) you need to have those ready to go the moment they say yes.  I'd scoop those up whenever they come available for less than $90 in gently used condition.  

I've been scouring this forum and the rest of the internet (this forum is much more useful than the rest of the internet) and I am in the process of formulating a business plan, but I have a couple questions!  

So in my reading most people have been saying wait until you have locations to buy machines.  Would you say this is true for getting even the first machine?  I feel like having the machine to show people (I've decided on Northwesterns) would help selling the owner on the idea of having the machine in their store.  Same deal with stock, should I wait until I have the location or have it ready and waiting so I can place the location as soon as possible?  

I've seen a couple mentions that I should roll my quarters for the bank, do I need to buy rolls or does the bank provide me with rolls or is that something that depends on the bank (it will be Chase).

Thanks for all of the help you've given me already!

I use Chase bank specifically because they would allow me to deposit up to $25,000 a month without any fees where other banks would only allow $2,500 - I haven't hit the $25,000 yet unfortunately  :mellow: but they do supply all of my coin wrappers for free.  Once you get rolling you should look for a decent coin counter that will allow you to roll your coins faster.

I only do full line vending but if I were serious about starting a bulk route I'd have a machine ready to go - they don't cost that much and like Frank says, it'l probably help you land your first account.

yep, show a nice stocked machine.

in the old days, they were called a salesmans friend.

some companys even had minitures made of large items.

and like they said here, bring samples of what you will put in your machine.

show a few toys, give them a little gum and candy, show them how fresh and nice your products are. just bulk samples thou, you don't want to bring them a whole meal with drinks.

err, unless it's a huge account, then take them out for dinner.

Awesome!  This is all very helpful!  I'm thinking more singles and doubles than triples (mainly because a lot of people on here say racks are more worth it than triples). 

Also does anyone offer a choice between commission or charity to owners or do you just pitch on one and if they don't seem into it, inform them about the other.  

ALSO, I don't currently have a charity but if anyone has suggestions for local charities in Illinois that would be great! 

Awesome!  This is all very helpful!  I'm thinking more singles and doubles than triples (mainly because a lot of people on here say racks are more worth it than triples). 

Also does anyone offer a choice between commission or charity to owners or do you just pitch on one and if they don't seem into it, inform them about the other.  

ALSO, I don't currently have a charity but if anyone has suggestions for local charities in Illinois that would be great! 

When I locate, if it appears to be a good location, I will give them the option of charity or commission.  And don't let it fool you that they will always want the commission!  I've had owners turn down the commission, but allow placement of the machine.  My general rule is it needs to do at least $20 a month to justify paying a commission.  If not, then it really needs to be on charity terms.

I use Chase bank specifically because they would allow me to deposit up to $25,000 a month without any fees where other banks would only allow $2,500 - I haven't hit the $25,000 yet unfortunately  :mellow: but they do supply all of my coin wrappers for free.  Once you get rolling you should look for a decent coin counter that will allow you to roll your coins faster.

I only do full line vending but if I were serious about starting a bulk route I'd have a machine ready to go - they don't cost that much and like Frank says, it'l probably help you land your first account.

My bank does not require me to roll quarters. I just take buckets and they have a counter.

I have a local bank that I take bags of quarters to.  I may have like one or two 100.00 bags and a piece of a bag.  Never charged me a fee.

They dont count right when I'm there.  A couple times over the years I've been shorted 50 or 100 bucks but it could have been me who counted wrong.  Who knows?:huh:??:huh:??:huh:??/

Archived