How to determine a good Commission location

Mehkai

Locating, Commission & Charity:

I am looking to start my first bulk vending business and my first route within the next month or two. I have feverishly been reading and gleaning any information I can from anywhere. Mostly here as there is a wealth of information. I also found some great information from a contributor within this discussion board at 

I have a few questions I have not been able to answer to my satisfaction from all the research I have done.

1. For self locating what do you do? cold calling all locations, drop in/by or mix?
  2. How do you determine Charity vs Commission for a location? offer charity first, commission first, only offer one or the other?
  3. Have you ever transitioned a site from Charity to Commission?

I appreciate all your wisdom and experience with this. And I know that each location is unique but would love any detailed advice (even if you have some example stories).

I am looking forward to working hard and doing something new.

My apologies if this topic has been asked many times before. I used the search but did not find an answer that matched my question. Although along the way I learned many other things. And Thank you all for teaching and sharing your wisdom.

One way to tell if it's a good location is by looking at the parking lot.  Is it a big lot full of cars?  Then it may be a good location.  Also consider the demographic.  I have a Chinese restaurant matching that description; always busy, but my machines don't make much money because the customers are mostly older people.  For toy machines, target places that have lots of kids.  For candy, you can go for either kids or adults.  I start with offering charity terms and go from there.  It's really a preference between you and the client.  I have moved charity locations to commission, but only a couple.  Sometimes you can get a great location for a small machine and determine that it'd be a good candidate for a rack, and that's why you may want to do so.  

Ok so a good guiding rule is for commission sites you really need to see the demographics, the traffic and the placement opportunities within the location.

This makes sense to me. So cold calling sites is more useful for Charity locations, and probably unwise for commission since you don't necessarily know the owner or the business well enough.

what other factors would change your mind from Charity to Commission?

Archived