Maturity Cycle Rate For A New Location

Randy 805

So, I just installed a few machines at a new place, a retirement community with 24 hour staff and tenants to use the machines, I haven't done a full refill yet, I've stopped in a few times to check in with the manager and on the machines to guage when I'll need to refill / change out expired stock, the machines have been on site for almost 3 weeks now and aside from the energy drinks doing quite well, not a whole lot more has sold...As I was installing them there seemed to be a lot of positive buzz from the staff about them and the manager told me people were exited about finally having some machines on site and while I understand that the staff / tenants will need a bit of time to get used to the idea of havng machines on site, tell friends, and get people hooked on something they like and will purchase consistantly.  I'm trying to keep in mind the long term return and not the immediate 1st month return as a guage for the rest of the year but I'm kind of discouraged at the lack of sales so far...but typically what do you guys find is a general maturity cycle for a new location that didn't have machines before?

I will work with a location asking for requests and trying different things for about 3 months. If I am doing my job right it should be doing what its going to do on a regular basis by then unless it has some seasonal trends or populations change.

This is pretty typical,  people are always hyped up about the machines at first but when it comes to actually using them, it can be a different story.  I'm with Mission here, give it three months and if the machines combined won't do $500 a month I'd consider moving on.

Don't be surprised if this account ends up being a dog.  It is the rare retirement community that does well.  If the machines are in a public area you will get employees and tenants using them, but if only in the employee breakroom your clientele is limited.  Keep in mind that there may be food service for the employees or if in the public area the gift shop might be competing with you. 

I have seen a huge community with a soda and snack in the employee lunchroom do only $5/wk per machine.  I did a new install for a guy and put two machines in the public area only to find the employee breakroom had machines in it that the manager refused to boot out.  Then I've seen other facilities that supported sodas, snacks and cold food.  Definitely try different products but start scouting for a new home for the machines just in case.

Archived