Go-137 Compressor Problems

I have a Genesis GO-137 with a HUAYI Compressor Model AE1350Y.

Inside temp 45 degrees and it runs continuely

The sticker on the door says low side 88psi, high side 245psi, 8.6 oz. of 134r freon.

I installed a line tap on low side and checked pressure, the gauge reads 20psi.

There are no leaks in the system. The 88psi low side pressure seems awful high.

Should I add more freon to bring it up to the 88psi?

Yes I know these machines are a POS.

Thanks, John

I have a Genesis GO-137 with a HUAYI Compressor Model AE1350Y.

Inside temp 45 degrees and it runs continuely

The sticker on the door says low side 88psi, high side 245psi, 8.6 oz. of 134r freon.

I installed a line tap on low side and checked pressure, the gauge reads 20psi.

There are no leaks in the system. The 88psi low side pressure seems awful high.

Should I add more freon to bring it up to the 88psi?

Yes I know these machines are a POS.

Thanks, John

Normally you should hire a trained technician to add freon and other compressor repairs but in this case you might as well do it yourself - what have you got to lose?  Not too sure that machine is worth a service call.

John,

The 88 psi is something like a burst pressure so you don't ever want to approach that pressure.  If you have a forced air condenser and evaporator (fans on both) then your low side pressure should be between 18 and 20 lbs when properly charged and the system is working correctly. 

Are you certain you tapped the low side?  The unused stub coming off the bell housing is the best low side place to tap. 

Is the condenser clean? 

Do both fans blow strong? 

If so and you don't have the machine pushed against the wall (bad), then you might have a bad thermostat, especially if you haven't adjusted it at all and left it where the factory set it.

You could also have a frozen or partially frozen evaporator hindering airflow in the cabinet.  This could be caused by a number of issues such as bad fan, low freon or an air leak, especially around the door or delivery port.

AZVendor

Machine is sitting in the middle of my garage floor.

Both fans are working with plenty of air flow.

I have cleaned both condenser and evaporator.

I adjusted the thermostat all the way to warmest setting and it will not shut off the compressor.

I pulled the complete unit out of the machine to check for frozen evaporator, all was clear.

Compressor temp running about 145 degrees.

No air leaks around door or delivery port.

I used a laser temp gun to check evaporator, it's about 47 degrees.

High side line is very hot to the touch.

If you are testing this unit out of the machine you are not in a machine environment and you won't get proper readings.  You must have it in a sealed machine to find out if it works properly.  If, instead, it didn't work when it was in the machine then you might need a new compressor as the valves do burn out in them, especially with the cheap Chinese/ Korean compressors.  One thing though, the thermostat should at least turn the compressor off when the knob is turned all the way counter clockwise.  If it doesn't then it should be replaced.  This won't give you the issue you have now however, as the thermostat is not what's preventing your unit from getting cold.

I don't know how much money you want to put into this machine but if you post a photo I will see if it's the same as the rebuilt unit if have in my shop.  I could ship you my unit then if you wanted it.  It's left over from a repair a customer refused to pay for.

Archived