Dixie Narco 501E coins not registering

Hi everyone, I received a call late afternoon that they are having to put extra money in to get their selection, the selections are priced at $1.25 and often they have to put 3-4 extra quarters in because not all of the coins are registering.  Any ideas what could be wrong and how I can fix this?  I'll be going to service it this morning but this machine is about 45 minutes away so I want to try to be as prepared as possible.  Thanks in advance for your help!!

When you arrive to fix it drop coins in the machine without opening the door and listen closely.  If the non-credited coins are actually heard going to the coin box then you have a broken coin mech that needs to be repaired.  If you don't hear the non-credited coins go anywhere, then you might have a jammed coin return chute in your coin mech.  If any coins are rejected by the mech they have to travel down a chute inside the mech on the right side and exit at the bottom to the coin return cup.  If the internal chute is jammed by coins they will back up in the coin mech causing the customer to not receive their rejected coin back.

If the coins are stuck in the mech, turn power off and remove the coin mech.  Remove the acceptor (top part) and hold your fingers on the tops of the tubes so no coins fall out while you turn the mech over and inspect the rejection exit.  Usually turning the shaking the mech will dislodge the coins.  Some will come out of the top of the chute and some will come out the bottom.  Once it's cleared you can reinstall it and test it again.

Archived