Fastcorp F631 maintenance

ajdistro

Hello,

Just wondering...

Anybody else build up a bunch of ice/frost along the top edges of their freezer on their F631 or similar ice cream machines? Seems to be due to the warm air/cold air combo that occurs when the freezer opens, which happens often.

Our normal procedure for dealing with this is a rubber mallet and a screwdriver or ice scraper.

This can be tedious and you have to be very careful not to damage the inside of the freezer. Plus it sends ice and snow flying around.

After chipping away all the ice you have to remove each bin and shake the loose ice out, while holding the product in place. This can get messy.

Plus much of the ice ends up in the bottom of the freezer which over time causes the bins to shift in placement and height, throwing the robot off...

Anybody have a better method?

Someone recommended a hair dryer or heat gun... I'm not sure I'm comfortable blazing the area so close to the ice cream.

Who knows, maybe the hammer method is the answer.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated...

Angelo

AJV

This is a common issue with the Fastcorp machines and is why every machine came from the factory with a white plastic ice scraper.  Unfortunately, the best way to defrost a Fastcorp is to empty it once per year, open the lid and the drain on the bottom of the freezer, unplug the machine and let it defrost over night.  This will obviously eliminate all the ice while draining the water at the same time.  When you go back you can dry the freezer with a towel and start all over again.  Whether you remove the bins is up to you as that can throw off all your bin settings, however that can also happen if you allow too much ice to build up or you shift the bins while chipping the ice off.  The best way to defrost is without any bins in the freezer but you then need to have a photo of where the bins and spacers where at and then still check and adjust all bin settings after reinstalling the bins.

This is just part of owning Fastcorp machines.  Please don't use a screwdriver to chip the ice as it will scratch the freezer which will then rust and you risk puncturing the inner wall and/or a freon tube.

I usually use spacers from a nearby 5591 to chip the ice off in large chunks, and toss it in the sink. 

Bonus picture time!

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HIRE IDIOTS:

30189_1300988961923_4897476_n.jpg?oh=96d

That is a slurry of nasty, years old food, moisture, and mold. Some fool of a dude we hired to be a technician stacked a couple of Fastcorps that we picked up from an account without emptying them out. We didn't have much call for Fastcorps, so they sat there for a couple of years. When we needed to set them at a new account, *I* had to deal with the consequences of the fool's actions. Barf-o-rama. And I had to do it twice, because there were two machines. 

I usually use spacers from a nearby 5591 to chip the ice off in large chunks, and toss it in the sink. 

Bonus picture time!

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HIRE IDIOTS:

30189_1300988961923_4897476_n.jpg?oh=96d

That is a slurry of nasty, years old food, moisture, and mold. Some fool of a dude we hired to be a technician stacked a couple of Fastcorps that we picked up from an account without emptying them out. We didn't have much call for Fastcorps, so they sat there for a couple of years. When we needed to set them at a new account, *I* had to deal with the consequences of the fool's actions. Barf-o-rama. And I had to do it twice, because there were two machines. 

Shoulda filled half full with water, let it sit for a bit and give the offender a good old fashioned head dunk. ;D

Archived