Dixie-Narco 168M vends as soon as coins put in

jlaudiofan

Howdy folks,

I can tell from reading through some threads that there are some extremely knowledable people here; Good communities are always fun to get involved in :)

I purchased a Dixie Narco 168M off of craigslist for 200 bucks, and have replaced the compressor fan (it was noisy). Supposedly had a new compressor in it already.  It does keep the sodas COLD!

It is setup to take quarters only, although I have looked around inside and it has the pieces to do nickels and dimes (there are actually some in the machine still).

My question is, sometimes it seems to get "stuck" on certain buttons.  I will select one soda, and it will vend.  Then I put two more quarters in, and it vends the same soda without me pressing any buttons.  My assumption is the button switch is probably dirty or something and is getting stuck closed, but before I start tearing into it I'd like to know if it is something that can actually be cleaned up, or just needs replacement.

Thanks for any replies!!

Jason

20140810_112218.jpg20140810_112203.jpg

Welcome Jason.

I'm sure you will get targeted info from our members very soon. In the meantime, this thread from 2007 seems like it may be helpful...

http://www.vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/85-Vending-before-Selection-Mad

Thanks!  I checked out the thread and it seems to be similar to my problem.  Usually if I smack the machine around a bit it'll behave, but I'd like to NOT have to do that.

Welcome to the forum,  This issue sounds like a problem with the Brake on the motors you will have to change the motor.   You can order motors online or a member by AZvendor will have them in stock for you if you PM him.

Welcome to the forum jlaudiofan.  This is a terrific forum to get some help.

You could have a sticking selection button if this always happens to the same selection, or a gummed up motor brake or motor switch, especially if this happens to more than one selection. 

Check your selection switches by pressing them in and releasing them multiple times, listening for a click of the switch each and every time.  Press different corners of the selection buttons just in case there is a problem with a plastic button sticking, not the switch.

Lift the motor cover off and inspect all of your motors.  Your wide motors will have red and white motor timing cams while the narrow columns will have either all red or all grey motor cams.  In any case you need to check that all your motors are properly homed.  You will see a "cluster switch" next to each motor timing cam consisting of three micro switches using two metal switch actuator arms.  When a motor is in a "home position" the smaller switch arm will be in one of the notches of the motor cam and the longer/wider switch arm will be on the high side of the cam, not in the notch.  If you find any motor where both switch arms are in a notch of the motor cam then that means you probably have a gummed up motor brake on that motor and this motor will run as soon as a credit is set.

The motor brake pivots on each of the two screws that hold the motor magnet to the motor frame.  Lightly spray some glass cleaner on the gummed up pivots and then locate the brass bracket that hugs the magnet.  This is the brake actuator and will be loose when the motor is not energized.  After spraying the glass cleaner, tap the brass bracket against the magnet several times to work the liquid into the pivot joints which will hopefully clean some of the syrup out of them.  The bracket should actually feel "too loose" as you tap it and this is normal.  If the bracket feels gummy or slow to respond then that is why you're trying to clean the pivots.

You could also have other issues such as a broken nylon brake hook, gummed up motor switches or a permanently magnetized motor.  This would require replacement of the motor or the cluster switch, depending on the actual problem. 

Report back after you try these fixes.  If you end up needing any parts you can PM me for information.

All of AZ and rmorris1953 suggestions are good.

But since this problem is moving around from selection to selection my bet is you will find that someone sprayed the switched with WD40 or contact cleaner destroying them.

Touch each switch if you find a few that feel oily replace them all.

Walta

ex boss told me a good service tech has a can of w-d40 in his tool box. I said a good service tech don't need W-D40. There is not a piece on a vendor that has anything like WD40. White lithium on T-Handle stud and nut.

You are absolutely right Walta.... We use to have a prep guy who would take the motor cover off and just spray the stuff everywhere.   

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum jlaudiofan.  This is a terrific forum to get some help.

You could have a sticking selection button if this always happens to the same selection, or a gummed up motor brake or motor switch, especially if this happens to more than one selection. 

Check your selection switches by pressing them in and releasing them multiple times, listening for a click of the switch each and every time.  Press different corners of the selection buttons just in case there is a problem with a plastic button sticking, not the switch.

Lift the motor cover off and inspect all of your motors.  Your wide motors will have red and white motor timing cams while the narrow columns will have either all red or all grey motor cams.  In any case you need to check that all your motors are properly homed.  You will see a "cluster switch" next to each motor timing cam consisting of three micro switches using two metal switch actuator arms.  When a motor is in a "home position" the smaller switch arm will be in one of the notches of the motor cam and the longer/wider switch arm will be on the high side of the cam, not in the notch.  If you find any motor where both switch arms are in a notch of the motor cam then that means you probably have a gummed up motor brake on that motor and this motor will run as soon as a credit is set.

The motor brake pivots on each of the two screws that hold the motor magnet to the motor frame.  Lightly spray some glass cleaner on the gummed up pivots and then locate the brass bracket that hugs the magnet.  This is the brake actuator and will be loose when the motor is not energized.  After spraying the glass cleaner, tap the brass bracket against the magnet several times to work the liquid into the pivot joints which will hopefully clean some of the syrup out of them.  The bracket should actually feel "too loose" as you tap it and this is normal.  If the bracket feels gummy or slow to respond then that is why you're trying to clean the pivots.

Thanks, this was most helpful.  One of the brass arms was indeed sticky and it was "delayed" so to speak, so it would fall down the index notch and as soon as money went in, it would vend and do the same thing.

Sorry for the delay in response, the machine behaved itself for quite a while before it got stuck again.

Thanks again for the replies!!

jlaudiofan

Archived