Telemarketing Locating Help Needed ;)

RikaKazak

So I've decided to try telemarketing locating myself, and I must say, I'm not having much luck.  I was hoping people who have experience with this might be willing to critique my script and give some advice/input.

My Script:

first call to the location:  Hi, I'm calling today to do some fund raising for the Post Falls Food Bank.  Is the owner or manager available?

Every time I've done this, the manager isn't available.  Either they're at lunch, going to the bank, right now they're too busy, or some other excuse, I just can't get them on the phone.  HOWEVER, most of the time I can get the manager's name, which I hope is helpful in the future.

2nd call to the location:  Hi, Is *name* available?  If no, "when would be a better time to reach them?"

If I ever do get a manager on the line, my script:  Hi, my name is Jared and I'm doing some fund raising for the Post Falls Food Bank.  We're looking for local businesses that would be willing to help us out by allowing us to place our small candy machines at their business.

We do all of the cleaning, servicing, and fixing of the machines.  There's absolutely nothing you have to do. 

Would you be willing to let us place a candy machine at your business?

Well that's my general game plan/script/what I'm doing.  Any advice, critiques, input would be GREATLY appreciated :D  All no's so far, but that just means I'm one step closer to a yes right? ;)

As soon as you say 'fundraising' they are done because they think you want money.

if you change it to something like..

"Hello, our company places little candy machines to help benefit Post Falls Food Bank. It's free, takes up less than a square foot of floor space and we're responsible for the machine. Could you help by allowing us to place one at your location?"

Call backs are big so dont be afraid to leave a number some will call back.

Fundraising will always result in the decision make is out or unavailable, even if they are the person on the other line. Start off by saying you are not seeking any monetary donation however the business can show there support by donating 1 square foot of unused floor space for a small candy machine. Then explain how it works and end by saying so wow you be willing to donate the square foot of floor space to support xyz charity.

If you get anything but a yes then say how could I earn your support.

To get passed the first person you don't mention anything about fund raising. I usually just ask for the manager, when they want to know who, I give them first and last name. When it's a restaurant, they assume it's important due to the name and so on, or a customer that needs to speak with them. Like mentioned above, don't start with fund raiser. Automatic shut down of the brain and they will start looking at whatever they were doing before.

Makes Cents just put pretty close to what we say when we call. Just make sure if your calling a restaurant that your not calling during rush hour or prep and tear down hour, meaning...... Call between 915 and 1030 am, 130-300 pm, after dinner the decision maker is usually gone.

When pitching commission over phone try "we would like to rent a small floor space in your Restaurant/Grocery for a toy machine".

Just be careful about mentioning "rent" if you're placing charity machines. Otherwise, they may expect a commission payment.

"Hello, our company places little candy machines to help benefit Post Falls Food Bank. It's free, takes up less than a square foot of floor space and we're responsible for the machine. Could you help by allowing us to place one at your location?"

Well that pitch may be fine for you.

But, what if my charity is NOT the Post Falls Food Bank:blink:

Seriously, though, that's about as perfect a pitch for a charity machine as anyone's going to have.

Short and to the point, but informative at the same time.

Try Makes Cents' pitch RikaKazak and you will likely see a positive turn in your phone-locating efforts.

As soon as you say 'fundraising' they are done because they think you want money.

if you change it to something like..

Call backs are big so dont be afraid to leave a number some will call back.

Thanks man.  Several times they offered to take my number or I could call back, and I'd always just get the managers name and call back later (thought that call backs = never going to hear from them again so a waste of time).  I'll start leaving my number now...and call back ;)

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to revise my script and get back at it :D

Fairly new to vending, but I have been in telemarketing virtually all of my life. I can assure you that the post above is correct...starting off with "I'm doing some fundraising"...is killing you.  It does make it sound like you asking for a donation and the person on the other line will immediately "tune you out".

When pitching commission over phone try "we would like to rent a small floor space in your Restaurant/Grocery for a toy machine".

This is a really good idea to set appointments for in-person presentation, at least you know they're interested when you go and you have the decision maker.

Archived