dn2145 cleaning advice/ gate removal

SebaVending

I just bought my second bevmax 2145.  The machine is in great working condition, compressor runs well, bill vali and coin mech work, gates all working.   It does need to be painted and cleaned thoroughly though.  One thing I have been struggling with is that underneath the transparent gates there is a significant amount of dirt and grim.  I would like to remove the gate in order to clean them well because it makes the machine look very bad.  I have looked through the manual but I cant find any information on removing the gates.  This kind of info would be very helpful if I every need to replace on as well.  If any of you have done this and have some tudbits or pointer it owuld be greatly appreciated.  I would hate to try without the right info and end up ruining one of the gates.  

Thanks a lot in advance!

The gates can be removed with a 1/8" nut driver, which is a really hard tool to find. Even when you do find one it needs to be short enough to fit between the shelves or you'll need to prop up the shelf you're working on for clearance. There are 3 screws holding the gates to the shelf with two of them also holding the gate solenoid to the shelf. Along with the 3 screws there is a washer and a nylon spacer.

The first time you remove one you must pay close attention to the order that the parts come off because the reverse order is very important. They are a bit tricky and it takes some experience before you are able to easily replace them. If you have several to remove then you'll figure it out pretty quickly. Before you remove any gates check them all for any sideways movement caused by a cracked base. Any cracked gates will need to be replaced. Make sure you leave each solenoid connected to the shelf harness as the connectors are hard to get back on after the solenoid is installed. If your gates are all good then when you do reinstall them you will want to turn each screw backwards until it falls into the existing threads in the gates. If you don't do that then you will cross thread some holes which makes it much harder to run the screws in and risks rounding out the nut driver. If you round out the nut driver then you have to grind off or file off the end to get the correct fit back.

If you have to install any new gates then before installing them, prethread the holes with a drop of light oil and run a screw in each hole to precut the threads. Then you can install the new gates.

If you need any parts for this you can PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a bunch of gate replacements on a DN2054 that was retrofitted by DN to an Entray machine.  All the bottle shelves are newer and I found they had the newer 5/16" screws in them and it was much easier to do, especially since you can then use any standard nutdriver for a change.  When I would put new gates on a machine with 1/8" screws I had to put a drop of oil into each screw hole before pre-threading it due to the poor torque I was getting from the 1/8" driver.  With the 5/16" driver I had no problem prethreading those screw holes.

That will only get a small portion of the grime out from under the gate.  Hosing and power washing doesn't help much either.  Maybe the heated water will but it could take some time for it to work under the gates, like it did for the soda to get there in the first place.  I have found that if there are only a handful of grimy gates that it's pretty easy to just remove the solitary gates.  On the machine I mentioned a couple of post above, I did have to remove all the gates on one shelf and I did it after pulling the shelf out.  I'm anal about things like rebuilding a machine I'm selling so it is a normal amount of work for me to do to ensure I get all the dirt.  

Let us know how the steamer works. 

• 2 weeks later...

The steamer works. Had some buildup under a gate. Took the slides out of either side of the gate and hit it with steam. Put a little pressure on the gate to allow the steam to get under the gate. It got about 95% of the gunk out. The remaining 5% is right under the second bolt. Overall, pretty pleased with how it worked. Certainly can be done on location, just cover the shelves below where you are working so you don't get the grime on the product.

Archived