DN 501T frozen cans

AngryChris

I showed up to an account today that was decently stocked up with soda.  I noticed an expanded can of Pepsi off to the side and that gave me a bad feeling.  Sure enough, I opened the machine up and saw the frozen slush coming down the delivery tray.

I turned the thermostat all the way both ways but the compressor was still running.

The condenser and evaporator were both pulling air (I used paper).

Neither the condenser nor the evaporator appeared to be dirty (the condenser was slightly dirty).

The evaporator fan continued to run after unplugging the refrigeration deck.

The cap tube was frosted, as were other lines but there was no ice.

After unplugging the deck (and later the machine) for a while to clean out the machine of frozen soda, I did turn power back on to the deck and the thermostat appeared to work but it came on even when the dial was turned to 1.  I assume that it was working but the reason why it came on at the setting of 1 was because the door was open and the thermostat was registering warm air.

I have concluded that my thermostat is bad even though it appeared to work later.  Perhaps I just had a loose wire but I think the safest solution here is to replace the thermostat.

Anyone have any other ideas or advice?

You guys forgot more than I know on this but my experience on the crappy seaga machines is plugged condenser. I have come upon up to 15 frozen and broken cans, nightmare. When I blew out the condencer they worked fine. Well as fine as a crappy seaga can work.

Does that mean you want me to send one?  Does your capillary tube slide into a metal tube behind your evaporator?

I'm not sure.  I misspoke when I said the cap tube was frosted.  I was actually referring to the drier (the big tube area).  I didn't actually look to see where the cap tube went but it looks just like almost any other DN that I have seen.

There is a possibility that your thermostat is a newer design with the cap tube clipped into a slot in the evaporator shroud on the back wall to the right of the evaporator.  However it's more likely that your cap tube runs into a metal tube behind the right side of the evaporator.  The frost you saw on the accumulator is the result of the unit running non-stop for such a long time.  Once this problem develops it won't correct itself and you have to replace the thermostat.

There is a possibility that your thermostat is a newer design with the cap tube clipped into a slot in the evaporator shroud on the back wall to the right of the evaporator. However it's more likely that your cap tube runs into a metal tube behind the right side of the evaporator. The frost you saw on the accumulator is the result of the unit running non-stop for such a long time. Once this problem develops it won't correct itself and you have to replace the thermostat.

I figured as much. In the mean time, I simply unplugged the refer deck. I figure the good cans that weren't frozen will be good and reasonably cold for today.

If the cans never froze they will be fine, but when that happens you have to remove all cans from every column and go through them all to see if any have frozen higher up in the stacks.  That can happen because there are cold spots in the machine.  Any can that freezes, damaged or not, will have flat soda when it thaws - even the slushy cans.  I know it sounds like a lot of work but you would be surprised how many cans I end up removing from frozen machines.

Archived