Gaines VM750 and ICT P70 Bill Acceptor

Greetings.  I have done some searching on this site, and have not found any results on my topic, so I am hoping somebody can help.  

I am working on a Gaines VM750 vending machine, with an ICT P70 bill acceptor.  The vending machine had this model of bill acceptor in it, but it has failed.   I ordered a new P70 bill acceptor, but I cannot get it to function properly.  I believe the issue is with the dip switch settings on the bill acceptor itself.  

I have the bill acceptor dip switches set to the defaults according to the instructions sent.

When you put a bill in it, it takes the bill, but it does not count the money in the credit counter (pardon my terminology, I am new to this vending machine subject).  If you put in coins, it counts the coins, but if you put in bills, it does not count the bills.

I fear that the board that the bill acceptor plugs into may be malfunctioning as well, but I hope that is not the case.

I have spent a few hours aimlessly searching the web for into on the Gaines Vending machine, but have had no luck...until I found this site.

I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid the lack of information found on the internet for Gaines machines is a sign of the lack of support for this poorly made imported machine.  I do hope you make your money back before it becomes difficult to keep it running.

As to the ICT acceptor, if your old P70 performed the same as your new P70 does now and they are identical units, and if your old P70 had worked at some time in the past, and if you know what the old switch settings were that worked before the failure, and if those settings don't work with the new P70, then you probably have a bad logic board.  You can see that there are many variables to consider before you can determine where the issue lies. 

There are a variety of switch settings for varied currencies and interfaces.  Here is the installation manual with no switch settings in it, but a description of what they are for: http://www.ictgroup.com.tw/files/p70&p70p5/P_Series_Installation_Guide(EN).pdf

Here is one of 4 different switch settings: http://www.ictgroup.com.tw/files/p70&p70p5/P70-USD6.P5(Pulse.ccTalk).pdf

Here is another: http://www.ictgroup.com.tw/files/p70&p70p5/P70-USD6.P5(Pulse.ICT).pdf

And another: http://www.ictgroup.com.tw/files/p70&p70p5/P70-USD6.P5(Pulse.MDB).pdf

And the last one: http://www.ictgroup.com.tw/files/p70&p70p5/P70-USD6.P5(Special_Pulse.ICT).pdf

Good luck figuring this out.

rg, what area are you in. pm me i can help you out... these machines have a horrible rep, for good reason....but they are repairable, i have even had the board repaired.

getting in touch with Gaines.... rather their new company is difficult, 

Greetings. I have done some searching on this site, and have not found any results on my topic, so I am hoping somebody can help.

I am working on a Gaines VM750 vending machine, with an ICT P70 bill acceptor. The vending machine had this model of bill acceptor in it, but it has failed. I ordered a new P70 bill acceptor, but I cannot get it to function properly. I believe the issue is with the dip switch settings on the bill acceptor itself.

I have the bill acceptor dip switches set to the defaults according to the instructions sent.

When you put a bill in it, it takes the bill, but it does not count the money in the credit counter (pardon my terminology, I am new to this vending machine subject). If you put in coins, it counts the coins, but if you put in bills, it does not count the bills.

I fear that the board that the bill acceptor plugs into may be malfunctioning as well, but I hope that is not the case.

I have spent a few hours aimlessly searching the web for into on the Gaines Vending machine, but have had no luck...until I found this site.

I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Hi I am having the exact same problem.I just changed the bill acceptor in this same machine.it seems I had the same results as you takes the bill but no credit appears.... did you ever figure out what the problem was because im clueless

thank

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have a few of these Gaines VM750, I replaced some of the ICT bill acceptors for MARS MDB ones with bill stacker. A lot less messy, more convinient and reliable. You have to modify the coin return mechanism (cut it shorter) to fit the stacker but it is worth it.

Most of my ICTs fell off the machine, the cheap plastic face/frame that attaches it to the vending just break at the screw wholes on the sides of the validator.

Hope this helps

• 5 months later...

Hi I am having the exact same problem.I just changed the bill acceptor in this same machine.it seems I had the same results as you takes the bill but no credit appears.... did you ever figure out what the problem was because im clueless

thank

I got the same issue, tried all the combinations on the docs provided by AZ, spend two days trying, no luck so far..

Will give it some more tries and maybe i get lucky somehow.. This has been a great learning curve for me, as i mastered using the Coinco coin acceptor and bunch of other things. At least is in my garage and not at a location.

there are certain settings that the machine has to be set at, i dont have the book in front of me, but have come across this problem... uf or uh has to be set at "n" ...... the booklet  explains it better than me, it can be found online

I send mine to ICT, let's see what they find out..

Hello,

There are several issues we usually see with our P70 units inside of Gaines MDB vending machines:

- Wrong firmware - we have two versions, pulse only and MDB. Some customers buy P70 replacements with the wrong model configuration, and so the unit will not work with MDB. If you see "P70-60Ni" on the serial number label, that is the model originally configured for Pulse only. Of course, some customers change this out themselves if they have an ICT programmer, so that model number may not exactly tell you what firmware is on there currently.

- Dipswitch settings - If the MDB firmware is installed, the 4-bank dipswitch needs to be set correctly. It is located on the underside of the unit (or top, depending on mounting position). It should be set to 1-ON, 2-OFF, 3-OFF, 4-OFF (ON is toward the numbers). For reference, see

- MDB circuit board  - these boards, about 3" x 4", are in-between 'MDB adapters' from the vending board to the P70. The were made as a one-off custom order for Gaines/Fortune resources a long time ago and we do not have spares. The most common issue is the component U4 going bad. This causes a "BA Wait Reset" on our ICT testers, or an MDB error.  The part is described as "HD74LV1G14A" (or specifically "HD74LV1G14A-RENESAS(SMD/CMPAK-5)") component, and the link to this datasheet can be found at: http://documentation.renesas.com/doc/products/logic/r04ds0021ej0800_74lv1g14a.pdf (or just Google the p/n). I suggest only those who are experienced in soldering try this repair; it's a really, really small part.

- MDB to P70 "adapter" harness - Like the MDB boards we do not have these harnesses for replacement or sale, they were made as a one time custom order. I did manage to dig out the wiring diagram for the harness from archives. I've posted it in a gallery along with photos of the connectors: >

Note the cable is Y shaped; if you don't have a harness with two connectors plugged into the P70, you may get the P70 to take money, but you won't get credit.

- The machine - after checking all of the above, it may be there is something wrong with the machine side. Most techs here are not familiar with the machine side of things, so unfortunately I can't provide info on this.  I've found it helpful to troubleshoot each component separately to narrow down the issue, but I understand it can be hard if you don't have a known working spare BA or cable.

I've searched a little bit through Google and do agree there isn't much information on this setup, so I've posted the above with permission from my supervisor, in hopes someone would find this helpful. Calling us and requesting an RMA (return manufacture authorization) number for repair is an option as well.

Two important notes though: be VERY careful when trying to repair the MDB board. As I said above, if the board traces/surfaces or major components get damaged, we cannot fix it here at our repair center; we do not have replacement boards. Also, same applies to creating the harness; I've seen P70 units arrive dead because customers changed, for some reason, the wires around.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

J.S.

post-10505-0-06583500-1435774542_thumb.jpg

Gonzales, are you loading the coin mech with the counter mechanism? The bill acceptor may not be working cause it thinks there's no change in the mech even though it could be filled to the top. I used to have a lot of problems with mine. Add about $5 each of quarters, dimes and nickels through the coin slot and test vend an empty column. By putting the change in the machine the board will register that the mech has change.

After some back and forth with ICT support, they suggest me to contact AZvendor :).. 

What's strange now, it accept $1 and $5, but credits a a 1cent and 5cents.. 

thank

Unfortunately, the only solutions to this POS is a really good hammer.. 

Hi tnycman

Good to see that the unit is working on your machine now.  The Gaines machine, as poorly made as it was, still uses a mdb interface.  Thus if you're getting credit that means it is communicating properly just as we claimed the unit would be doing when it left here.  Neither pulses or noise would consistently transfer to serial words on an mdb interface.

However it does appear that the dipswitches on the bill acceptor have been changed and need to be reverted back to remove the scaling factor.  Specifically the first switch on the bank of 4. 

The reason we asked you to contact AZvendor was that it was apparent you did not deem us knowledgeable enough to help you with the machine.  Be this true or not the effect was that our directions were not being followed.  Usually when this occurs its near impossible to help a customer and we felt that trying to refer you to someone who you believed to be competent would be much more effective.

Archived