Bulk vending in a Sports Bar?

caserri

Hey folks,

Just picked up a brand new sports bar that will be opening up at the end of the month. The owner very much wants some machines in there. In fact, I suggested a double head with DI and PMM but he wanted MORE! He is interested in a rack setup but I'm reluctant to put that much equipment in an adult location.

I told him I would be willing to go up to a 4 banger (on a J stand) and he was satisfied with that.

My question to you all, the best and brightest vendors in the world, is what should I do here? I'm settled on PMM and DI but what of the other 2 selections? The last time I vended nuts, I took a beating when they didn't sell. They scare me now. :D

Should I consider this location or take a pass? I'm not completely sold on it but I have until the end of the month to decide.

Steve

Ok, now a serious answer.  I've been thinking of JOLT GUM.  It a little expensive, you would need to vend it at 50 cents for 2 pieces. You can get it at COSTCO's business website for 9 cents a piece. Could be a risk, and because it's not bulk packaged labor would be high.

But I thought a mint energy gum on the way out of a bar would be killer!

Islander,

Well the dilemma is this. I've successfully transformed my business from bulk edibles to bulk non-edible racks. I'm not sure if I want to get back into edibles but the rack part is holding my attention.

If I do this I will probably vend the DI out of a NW60 at 0.50 for 4 pcs.

Blue,

I may take you up on your offer of $50. :D

Steve

I run several sports bar location and im for sure dont like to do candy if i can help it

so i run gum skittle and than i run toys and you will be supprised

Try:

27 mm pool balls

49 mm balls

tattoos (Tons of them will appeal to adults)

football NFL merchandise

jewelry 2 inch merchandise

and think of all the staff the adults will buy

put the rack in there it will do well

Simon

I landed a sports bar a few months ago. I had a machine loaded and just but what I had in the place. I was pleasantly surprised to see it does about $16/month for bulk candy only. Bananaramas of all things are selling the best!!? I have an Altoid machine that I overpaid for, plus you have to buy $249 worth at a time, However it does about $25/month in a downtown bar/sports bar. Your DI probably will do just fine.

Simon,

Thanks for the input. What I forgot to add in my OP was that he does not want toys or novelties. He's looking for a rack of bar friendly edibles. I think a rack of edibles would be overkill so I'm thinking of only four heads at most.

Steve

In my mind, the key question to ask... Is the location really a sports pub or is it a sports bar/restaurant? If the location is really a pub catering to good ole boys drinking beer, then a rack will probably not work. If they also sell food and attract some families, then a rack will probably work out.

I had some of these beer-drinkin' sport pubs (that still allow smoking) and they were a complete flop.   I also hate cleaning up the globes in smoke filled bars - that smoke residue is pretty nasty over time on the globe, not to mention your lungs!  On the other hand, the places that sell food and attract some families (and banned smoking) are still doing well for me.

Try NFL Cups, College Helmets or Ducks at 75 cents. Tattoos at 50 cents. Acrylic Rings (waitresses love them), Zoo/Sea Mania at 50 cents or 25 cents "watered down". Treasure Chest Mix or Sticky Stuff at 25 cents. And of course gumballs at 25 cents. No candy unless they specifically ask for it, then only do one selection at 25 cents.

Another thing to consider is getting a used interactive machine with a sports theme like a shootin hoops (my favorite as pictured), sports blaster pinball, etc and vend cheap mixed superballs at 25 cents. It sounds like this guy would be open to that as well. Below are some links if you want to see some pictures. Don't buy then new - too expensive. Look for deals on ebay or CL.

http://www.nwcorp.com/products/machines/sportschallenge/

Click HERE to view auction!

Click HERE to view auction!

Unless it's a good ole boy pub, I would give the rack a shot. If you don't do it, someone else will! Restaurants and bars are aggressively targeted by rack and amusement vendors, so being the first one in can make a big difference. Happy rack vending!

Jax

Note: After posting this, I saw that the owner does not want toys.  So, never mind!

Maybe NFL Logo Stickers 1" Capsules?

http://www.gumballs.com/nflstickers.html

How about Hockey Pucks gum?

http://www.gumball-machine.com/bulk-candy-19.html

I would try the helmets like Jax said. Is it like a Beef O' Bradys sports bar? If it is, the one here does well with toys. My DI/Certs competes with a 5 way rack there and a sticker machine.

Simon,

Thanks for the input. What I forgot to add in my OP was that he does not want toys or novelties. He's looking for a rack of bar friendly edibles. I think a rack of edibles would be overkill so I'm thinking of only four heads at most.

Steve

I don`t think steve can put toys in this location

Gum and toys along with your PMM and DI to start, if it takes off go to a 5 or 7-way with 2-inch capsules, stickers, more candy, etc.  In most cases sports bars are also hot spots that younger families eat too so there will be many kids which is always an instant seller.