Grocery store rejection: Gumball vending machines are dirty

grand

This certainly wasn't my first rejection, but the rationale I was given along with the "no" is new to me.

Long story short: "gumball vending machines are way too dirty for our beautiful store."

Long story:

There is a relatively new grocery chain in the city. My wife and I have been shopping at the nearest location for a couple years. It's a nice store, but more importantly, it's a busy store.

I can't help but notice every week we're there that they have the perfect areas available for vending--and there's no machine. I've tried to ask store managers about it here and there, but somehow the right person is never there.

So I called and asked to speak with the store manager this week. I actually get the correct person on the phone and he gives me the opportunity to make my pitch – so I went for it.

I explain a few of the benefits of my gumball machine and not only does a portion get donated to the local food depository, but I'm offering them a commission for their previously unused square foot of floor space by the registers or by any of the doors.

He seems to genuinely like the idea – the call goes so well until he tells me that, unfortunately, he does not have the authority to approve that sort of thing and gives me the corporate phone number and a person's name I should speak with.

No problem. This is further than I've ever gotten before. Today I call corporate and speak with the "candy category manager." I get around six words into my pitch and am cut off.

I'm told there's no way they will ever have any kind of vending machines at their store because of their "clean store policy."

Well, the way this was said came off rather unprofessional and honestly a bit on the mean side.

I said "I'm sorry, you're saying you won't allow a gumball machine in your store--because of cleanliness?"

She says yes--they have a policy to keep their store very clean and gumball vending machines are just the opposite.

I've just never had a reaction like that before. I thanked her for her time is the goodbye. I am satisfied with receiving the rejection, no problem there, but because the machines are dirty?

In the future when you meet this type of response I'd say "I totally agree with you".  It confuses them long enough to add "...the bulk vending industry has some people who frankly neglect their equipment and it's the main reason my customers are so happy.  In fact, I'm proud to say I have never once lost a location because of the condition of my equipment.  I just hate to see quality floor space sitting empty in your stores that could be adding to your bottom line.  If you're willing to keep an open mind I'd like to send you a portfolio of my equipment on location. How about it?" 

Agreeing with whatever brainless, sarcastic or downright rude thing that comes out of their mouth stuns them long enough to offer a rebuttal.

Archived